997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Ipod/MP3 dealer installation special?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 06:18 AM
b2sc is infamous around these parts
Ipod/MP3 dealer installation special?

I recently received my local dealers email promotions and this one has a coupon for Ipod/MP3 installation for $75.

“Have you been wanting to play your Ipod through your Porsche and don’t have the ability?”

I assume this is the install of a 1/8” mini input and adding this input the PCM which might be displayed on the screen?

$75 installed sounds reasonable if this is what it does. Anyone have any idea if this what it is?

I think I’ll call later today….

Old 04-22-2011, 07:55 AM
cesmorris has a spectacular aura aboutcesmorris has a spectacular aura aboutcesmorris has a spectacular aura about
Please let us know how the call goes. I have a 997.1 w/o an iPod interface and would really like one. I did purchase from COSTCO a unit that tries to play it thru my FM stereo but it does not work well at all.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:44 AM
Well, I just called. Not gonna happen. It applies to 1998-2001 Boxters only which they apologetically didn't mention in the ad...

Old 04-22-2011, 08:47 AM
cesmorris has a spectacular aura aboutcesmorris has a spectacular aura aboutcesmorris has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by b2sc
Well, I just called. Not gonna happen. It applies to 1998-2001 Boxters only which they apologetically didn't mention in the ad...
Figures. Thanks.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:31 PM
JohnAMG is infamous around these parts
For 997.2, the ipod integration labor charge is 3 hours plus the $400.00 for the kit. I had it done last year and I love it. It is pricey but a worthy upgrade.

John

Old 04-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by JohnAMG
For 997.2, the ipod integration labor charge is 3 hours plus the $400.00 for the kit. I had it done last year and I love it. It is pricey but a worthy upgrade.

John
Does anyone know if a similar option exists for the 997.1s?

Old 04-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Silverbullet911 is infamous around these parts
I was considering the installation of an Ipod intergration and also bluetooth for my 997.1. For the cost of both, I decided to replace the PCM with a Pioneer Avic. The result was outstanding.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Silverbullet911
I was considering the installation of an Ipod intergration and also bluetooth for my 997.1. For the cost of both, I decided to replace the PCM with a Pioneer Avic. The result was outstanding.
Please share more! Do you have pics, costs, etc?

Old 04-22-2011, 07:27 PM
tball is infamous around these parts
also interested...

Old 04-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
The factory Ipod adaptor is a band aid. It's expensive and the bluetooth option is horrible. It takes forever to upload your playlists. You're better off starting from scatch. Pull all the Bose junk out (head unit, amps and speakers) and get something that if fully IPOD, Bluetooth, and Voice Nav integrated. This isn't the cheap option but the results are significantly better.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:52 PM
As the OP, I was just hoping for a 1/8" mini install so my ipod would be hardwired. This works great in the rentals I drive. I plug my ipod in and iI've got all my tunes with me.

FM modulation is terrible. I don't need my playlist displayed, I know what I'm listening to. $75 sounded to good to be true and , well apparently it is.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
The factory Ipod adaptor is a band aid. It's expensive and the bluetooth option is horrible. It takes forever to upload your playlists. You're better off starting from scatch. Pull all the Bose junk out (head unit, amps and speakers) and get something that if fully IPOD, Bluetooth, and Voice Nav integrated. This isn't the cheap option but the results are significantly better.
Uh, ok. What is plan B?

Old 04-22-2011, 09:07 PM
The swap out was painless and the result was outstanding for my needs. The swapped unit was a PCM 2.1, Bose MOST with navi, telephone, 6 CD changer. Here is a list of items all purchase online, never stepped foot in a retail store:
  1. Pioneer Avic Z120BT $900
  2. Pioneer Ipod cable $40
  3. JL XD600/6 amp $400
  4. Eurospeed bezel kit $275
  5. Plate frame backup camera $150
  6. Parrot dual mic $40
  7. Installation $600
All in $2,400. The Pioneer, Kenwood or Apline 2 din units are the typical choices. All shoud have Ipod integration, bluetooth nav and voice command, pick a system that you perfer. You can also choose different levels of a swap. You can choose to swap the PCM with a head unit and use the power from the HU for about $1,500 or go down the road of gutting the whole system including speakers.

I am not a techno or high end audio person, all I needed was the functionality and a boost to the system with the new amp. I retained the Bose speakers. Sounds way better than the PCM. The most important part of the swap is the installer. Mine did a greeat job. He works on our cars all day long. The only holes he drill were to mount the amp inside the original navi casing. Very clean install. Many threads on this forum in connection with a swap. Here are some pics:

Attached Images     
Old 04-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Silverbullet911
The swap out was painless and the result was outstanding for my needs. The swapped unit was a PCM 2.1, Bose MOST with navi, telephone, 6 CD changer. Here is a list of items all purchase online, never stepped foot in a retail store:
  1. Pioneer Avic Z120BT $900
  2. Pioneer Ipod cable $40
  3. JL XD600/6 amp $400
  4. Eurospeed bezel kit $275
  5. Plate frame backup camera $150
  6. Parrot dual mic $40
  7. Installation $600
All in $2,400. The Pioneer, Kenwood or Apline 2 din units are the typical choices. All shoud have Ipod integration, bluetooth nav and voice command, pick a system that you perfer. You can also choose different levels of a swap. You can choose to swap the PCM with a head unit and use the power from the HU for about $1,500 or go down the road of gutting the whole system including speakers.

I am not a techno or high end audio person, all I needed was the functionality and a boost to the system with the new amp. I retained the Bose speakers. Sounds way better than the PCM. The most important part of the swap is the installer. Mine did a greeat job. He works on our cars all day long. The only holes he drill were to mount the amp inside the original navi casing. Very clean install. Many threads on this forum in connection with a swap. Here are some pics:
Wow, that looks wonderful. Thanks. I need to find out how/if that works with my multifunction steering wheel. But, the look of that Pioneer unit is great. Thanks for sharing and will search out other posts.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:37 PM
I believe Pioneer has an interface.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ipod/MP3 dealer installation special?