997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

ABS 'Ice' mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 06:19 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
ABS 'Ice' mode

Read this, and be aware of such stuff.
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-got-me-3.html

this is imho most relevant comment from thread:

-----------------
As Terry has stated, it is best to in my opinion, to very narrowly define "Ice Mode" in this matter so that all other ABS intervention that the car does experience is not part of this discussion.

After much research after my incident, I came to the following conclusion. The OE Porsche Street ABS module's computer program is flawed from a logic perspective. Somewhere, deep in the logic (the final "IF" statement) after all limits have been triggered (yaw, friction level, speed of pedal application, force of pedal application, wheel sensor speeds, etc. etc.) the final solution the car's ABS unit spits out is, "Don't lock up the wheels and give approx 20% braking pressure to the front wheels" - thats it, thats what it does - those are the facts.

In everyday driving, and up to about 98.7% of DE driving there is an extremely low chance of ever triggering this very specific computer outcome - the outcomes that can and do get triggered are various different ABS interventions that Terry referred to and that we all know of having driven any modern car with ABS.

For the most part, in fact maybe all part, it is pretty well known how to avoid this situation:

1) keep proper diameter tires on front and rear
2) squeeze the brake pedal - no initial even remotely hard stab please
3) be very careful about initial brake application if the rears are about to even slightly unload (this is extremely key especially when combined with #2)
4) as you begin to see Red Mist, understand that as you look for that last 0.5second, you may not be as aware about #2 and also your braking markers (especially if using A6, R6, slicks) will when chasing that last 1/10th in each corner likely change enough that you may not be 100% aware of the exact track conditions where the brakes are now engaging.

The 'Failed Logic' from my perspective is this, I would rather the ABS unit not: "Don't lock up the wheels and give approx 20% braking pressure to the front wheels" but "lock up the wheels and flat spot the tires". To me, my version makes more sense as if I'm hitting the brakes, I am clearly placing a very high emphasis on wanting to slow down. I find it incredible that somehow buried deep in the code is an outcome that chooses to place such high importance on the ability to steer that it is willing to release so much brake pressure that speed retardation is made a very secondary outcome when in fact we all know that speed doesn't kill but very rapid deceleration does (i.e. hitting a wall that I am now able to comfortably steer into because my brakes were effectively turned off.

This is why, in my opinion, transforming any modern Porsche street car into a race car is potentially very dangerous. That said, humans are very smart and we all can learn to drive around known issues.

I never knew this issue could arise at Mosport #3 - but it can. I would now never, ever take this specific corner how you are suppose to but would enter mid track to buy yourself time to recover if this mode is triggered.