997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Driving a 997 - What is It Like?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 05:03 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
You will probably not be impressed with the feel of acceleration from a 997.1 as you would with a 997.2 . But if you are looking for handling feel, connectivity to the road, and the light sports car feel ....then most 911's of any year will impress you. Everytime I was looking for a new car (which was often) I wanted to love the 911 but when compared to a bmw it just did not warrant an additional $30k. Because I was looking for fast acceleration, modern techno amenities, and good handling....and the bmw produced these very well. But the 911 at the time were only better in handling and looks but all the other areas which were important to me they were lacking. Thus I went through 5 bmw's before the 997.2 came out and then it was well worth the extra money and the first car I have kept for over 2 years in a long time. I have modified my 997.2S and it was worth every penny because its acceleration is astonishing and I have driven many different fast cars.
So it depends on what is important to you in a car at this time in your life. For me the new 911 is impressing more and more everytime I drive it, I have 26k miles in 2 years.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:08 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
There are some people who can speak more than one language fluently . That's how I feel with both the Porsche 911 and the BMW 3 series . Over the years I have owned 8 911 cars and 19 BMW's . The transition into Porsche and BMW was simultaneous coming out of Japanese cars which I also love (Honda ). They are all different but each of the three cars mentioned have certain characteristics which capture my heart and bring out the joy in driving .

My first drive in a Porsche 911 was a test drive . I was much younger and could not really afford the car comfortably and must have walked out of a dealership at least 5 times coming to grips with even driving the car .

I will never forget the first drive . I showed up to a dealership which was one hour away because they had a car with less options and it seemed more affordable . The salesman handed me the key and told me to test drive it without him while he got my car appraised . I had never been to that local area before and I got lost on my test drive . It was during those 25 miles that i really experienced the car .

I absolutely loved the sound of the engine . I liked the feeling that the car felt like it was being pushed with the weight in the rear yet somehow the balance of the 993 seemed to defy physics . The size of the car was ideal and unlike many of the Japanese cars i had driven there was no blind spot . The offset pedals of the 993 and the 1960's style dash was so simplistic and I loved it . The way that the 5 dials stood in front of the driver with the Tachometer in the center was just awesome. What a car !!! I was falling in love .

I got back to the dealership an hour later and the car had about 50 miles on it . 25 were from me. The salesman said " you are going to buy this car ftom me right ?" I offered a number and he said "no" . I didn't have any more money to spend . I got up to leave and he said "ok , sit back down . I'll sell you the car" .

I was thrilled and the drive home just added even more excitement to the day.
When I got home one of my neighbors who has since that time moved had a daughter whose boyfriend was totally into cars . He often talked to me about cars at that time . He was about 20 and I was about early 30's but he knew more than i did about car history. As I drive into the driveway he was walking to his car and he came over to my car with the same smile that i had . He turned to me and said "any time you have any doubts about how great that car is just take a deep whiff of that badge and think of all the legends that went into it's making".

It's 16 years later now . I never forgot .
Very nice story Larry! It tells volumes about a first purchase of a very special car.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:19 PM
LiquidLobotomy is infamous around these parts
I've only had my C2 for a month (and 1 week!), and came from a E90 325i. In fact, my 3-series was the first 6-speed manual sold in Atlanta.

The Bimmer was (is) a great car. Very solid and smooth. The sport package seats are outstanding. Brakes are better than just about anything on the road.

But the 911 is a big step up, and not just the extra hp/torque. The tactile sensations from the steering, transmission, brakes, throttle, etc. are just right and work perfectly together. My car is "just" the base model, but the power off the line and when accelerating is righteous.

But my favorite part of the experience is on the back roads. Just an hour ago I took a nice curvy stretch of my commute home. Did some gear changes, hit the twisties and had a permanent grin the whole time. The driving dynamics are really nice with all that weight back there driving those massive rear tires.

So you weren't really feeling it during your test drive. Suggest you do it again on some back roads and open the thing up. I have a suspicion you'll come back to the forum singing a different tune.

Last edited by LiquidLobotomy; 04-28-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:33 PM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
the Porsche experience is great!

I have my 997.2 3.6 for about a month now. I couldn't be happier.

It is a 6 speed, adaptive seats, sports chrono, Bose suround, arctic silver. The car is a dream to drive.

The reason i bought it was to just drive it.

Coming from a HIGHLY modified Lancer Evolution with more than 600awhp on pump (the car was running 10s @ 134+ mph on pumpgas), the Porsche is definitely slower, but sursprisingly fast for "only" 345 bhp...

It has enough ground clearance for speed bumps, and garages, but sits low enough to give you a go-cart feel. The 18s are forgiving for on the horrible NY roads, although this car will never see Manhattan or other horrible roads.

Easy to drive on a daily basis, the Bose suround ROCKS, and actually pretty decent on gas!

As a buddy of mine said, there is only one problem....

...I will never be able to buy another brand car than Porsche...

...EVER again!!!! LOL

Old 04-28-2011, 08:54 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
Great to read about these experiences. There is something special about a Porsche and the feeling you get driving it. I don’t care how fast you make a car go…yeah that’s cool…but there is so much more to a driving experience than HP alone. IMO…Porsche delivers on this big time. You mentioned you find these cars “completely beautiful”. I agree, it’s big part of the allure to these cars IMO. Fun to look at and of course cool to be seen in.

I have been to many dealerships. When you come across a great sales person, you never forget it, especially if you are new to the vehicles. The SMART ones understand that these cars will sell themselves…the sales person is just the conduit to ensure you understand what you’re dealing with.

IMO…The hardest part when looking is figuring out what you want and how much you’re willing to spend. Be patient, while any 911 is awesome, there are things you will learn when you get into this that take time to sort through. Which year, model, transmission, options/features, etc… You’ll hear about Sports Chrono, Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE), PASM, and on and on…you have to get an understanding of what’s out there so you can make an informed decision and not have regret after your purchase.

Good Luck!

Old 04-28-2011, 09:04 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
OP and I have some similarities. My first car was a 1981 Plymouth Reliant K, fake convertible. Best thing about that car was the maroon interior and awesome seats.

I too had a 1999 323i, 5-speed, inline six. I put 60,000 miles on that car. Black on beige. Great car. Then I went to an M Roadster - on the side I test drove a Boxster, which at the time (2002) it wasn't for me.

Then the Cayenne came out. I test drove a Prosecco metallic Cayenne S in 2004, and I was in love with that. Ended up with a black/black Cayenne S. Put about 60,000 miles on that. That made me a believer in Porsche - the Cayenne.

My first love actually was the 928 (Risky Business). But a 911 has always fit me like a glove. The first 911 I ever drove was a 1970 911T, with the duck tail and in white. Even with 140,000 miles that thing was a blast. Very raw.

The first modern day 911 I drove was in 2008, and I nailed it getting on an on-ramp and loved it. Even a 3.6 is very capable.

So I've had my 3.6 for about 2 yrs and the time is coming for either some upgrades or a C2S or C4S...911's suit me just fine these days.

Another thing I will say: these cars top out at about 175+ mph. I had the Cayenne up over 125 and it was solid as a rock. Some of these crackpots on the road will try and race you, and they might do okay up to around 100 mph - but then the 911 just keeps pulling, pulling, pulling away.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:15 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
I had never considered a Porsche until I went and test drove just about everything one day when it was slow at the dealership. I knew then that I had to have one. I started with a C4S Cab and sold it to buy a GT3 - both 997's. I will admit that the Cayman is a great car to drive, but a little underpowered in my opinion (the .1 models). It has great balance and feel. I test drove the new Cayman R and I would definitely have that car if I could swing having both it and the GT3! For raw fun, the GT3 is my favorite.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Plp39503 has a spectacular aura aboutPlp39503 has a spectacular aura about
Instant bonding experience. My first sports car (Volvo sedan, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Yukon XL and Acura TL beforehand). I felt very well connected to the road, instant response from the P-car.

It's a car that demands the driver learn how to drive it well, but it's easy and extremely rewarding. I was never much of a car fan until now. To the point I'm going to the sports driving school next week to continue the learning curve.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:25 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
my first 911 came after driving a dodge caravan for 3 years. the first time i stepped on the gas, my stomach dropped like a rollercoaster drop and i actually got lightheaded. i'm jealous of friends i let drive my car for the first time who get to experience that feeling as virgins.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Plp39503 has a spectacular aura aboutPlp39503 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by KonaKai
my first 911 came after driving a dodge caravan for 3 years. the first time i stepped on the gas, my stomach dropped like a rollercoaster drop and i actually got lightheaded. i'm jealous of friends i let drive my car for the first time who get to experience that feeling as virgins.
LOL. Being an engineer, I read the manual. The section on how to adjust the seat was interesting....I wondered about the "make sure shoulders are firmly supported by the backrest"...Found out the hard way 1st time I gunned it!

Old 04-29-2011, 11:42 AM
sullic is infamous around these parts
I came to Porsche like many, from BMW. I still admire and respect the company and its products. My girlfriend owns a 335xi, and I drive that occasionally. I would have no qualms buying a BMW, and I am sure I will again.

That said, I am a Porsche guy. I like the brand, the history, and most importantly, the feel of driving my low end (C4) 911. I can't imagine how special the GT3 and Turbo must be. I won't allow myself to test drive them, as I am afraid the desire to own one would have me doing silly things financially. The fun, and angst of Porsche buying is the configuration choices and expense.

I will be taking my car for a drive today, and I have been excited all day long. That is how I want my car to make me feel.... excited.

I also own an A5, and while sexy, is not close to the driving experience of the C4.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Oakland_Stan has a spectacular aura aboutOakland_Stan has a spectacular aura aboutOakland_Stan has a spectacular aura about
I think I'm just repeating what everyone else has already said but the overall feel of the Porsche 997 is just right. I have owned fourteen cars in my time;

1980 MB 240D (dangerously slow!)
1992 Ford Explorer
1992 Nissan Sentra
1999 Acura TL
1999 VW Passat GLX
1999 Mazda Miata
2001 Audi S4 Avant
2001 Audi A6 4.2
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2004 Jaguar S-type R
2005 Porsche 997 C2
2005 AMG C55
2008 MB ML350
2011 MB ML350

Some cars were fast, some weren't. Some handled well, some didn't. But all of them had their positive attributes. My Porsche does not have the monster power that my C55 and Jag S Type R had, nor does it have the utility that some of my sedans have had, however, what it possesses in every other category certainly makes up for it.

I can honestly say, unequivocally, my 911 is the best car I have owned from an all around perspective. It's all the things that others have mentioned and then some. And I'm just driving a very modest base model. I will also mention, if you want more snappy acceleration but can't afford a C2S with or Turbo, get yourself a base C2 and add a Sprintbooster module. It should be all you need.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:00 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
My DD is an E36 M3 and I owned a E92 M3 DCT prior to my 06 C2S. I sold my 08 M3 for the Porsche and I have never regretted it.

Jason

Old 04-29-2011, 02:10 PM
chinsky is infamous around these parts
What a fun thread. One thing the OP should take away is the amount of emotion in the responses. I wonder if you can find this on other boards for other cars.

Like many here, I had a few bombs and clawed my way up to a 323 'vert which I drove for 11 years and 110k. I was, and remain a big fan of BMW and would gladly own one again for the great balance it strikes between fun, power, safety, handling reliability, etc. When I first toyed with the idea of replacing it, I drove a new 335 hardtop convertible and was impressed but not so impressed that I was willing to pay my car +$50k to get it. It wasn't that much greater and seemed almost too refined.

I decided to keep the 323 but then I drove the 911. The thread is full of great commentary on many aspects so I won't repeat it. Many of the "likes" of the 911 (and implied dislikes of the BMW) are personal so you wil have to develop your own view.

There is one big difference that you should consider. IMHO, the BMW is one of the best passengar cars on the road and offers superb transportation with lots of power and great handling. It does everything a honda does but it does all of those incredibly better just about any other car.

But the 911 is a race car that can be used everyday. It handles better, is faster, is more stable at speed. However, it is has a louder and harsher ride, She requires your full attention all of the time. It is not for one handed driving with your arm out the window. Your tires cost twice as much and they last half as long. You can't run it through an automatic car wash because it won't fit and is too valuable; yet you'll want to keep her cleaner than any other car you've owned. Afterall, you are representing all of us and this is a bigger responsibility than being another BMW owner (no offense, I'm one).

For the folks here, it is clear that the physical and emotional benefits you get are well worth these and other trade-offs. I use mine nearly every day - rain, shine, snow. I've put over 33k on it in the two years since I bought it and am hoping for at least 170 more. There is more effort in driving it and in owning it but it is more rewarding in return.

There may come a day when I won't choose to drive a P-car every day. When that time comes, I would almost surely go back to a BMW as my daily ride. But, I can't imagine ever being without one now that I've experienced it.

I did get to test drive a Ferrari California last week...

Old 04-29-2011, 03:14 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
I got my car when my lease was out on my 550i - my 7th BMW over 24 yrs - I was just not loving any BMWs anymore - test drove everything they made and was just not getting excited about getting a new car even though I had to. Then I went and test drove this car - and that's what I was looking for: it's a car meant for driving.

Although as someone mentioned don't overlook the Boxster - I had one on loan one day and it was a total blast.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driving a 997 - What is It Like?