997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Front bumper experience? 997.1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2011 | 09:15 PM
|
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Front bumper experience? 997.1

Well, punishment for a black car and no 3M film...but my front bumper cover is starting to look like it's been to Afghanistan and through the sand storms.

So at this point I'm tired of looking at it and I'm forced into 3 choices: (1) order a new bumper cover - probably $1000-$1500 to get swapped out. Any experiences here? Might call Suncoast. (2) Take car to body shop and get the bumper re-sprayed / re-finished ? (3) dump car and get another 911 and not miss this problem again (excuse for wanting an S).

Car is in otherwise excellent condition. Just this stupid bumper.

Old 04-28-2011 | 09:47 PM
gadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to behold
I dont have a clear bra on mine and I use Dr. ColorChip and the color blends nicely.

Old 04-28-2011 | 10:06 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
You definitely DO NOT need a new bumper cover!
Painting a bumper is not expensive...especially IF you remove it your self(45 mins)....

BUT IF you need an reason to buy an 'S'....well then THIS is a perfect excuse,LOL!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 04-28-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-29-2011 | 10:15 AM
|
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
body shop visit Monday for an estimate - we gotta improve this situation.

Old 04-29-2011 | 10:49 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
cheapest and best way is to take it off ur self and have the paintshop repaint it and put a clear bra on it. (est $600)

alternative would be to order a aero bumper from suncoast (ask for special price) and get a more aggressive look..
but that will be parts + paint + clear bra (est $2000)

think that will hold u off the 'S' for a while ?

BOL

Old 04-29-2011 | 11:03 AM
|
what's up carlitos - WELL I'm taking it in for an estimate and to see if they can make this bumper look new. No more Afghanistan sand storm rock chips, gashes, little dings, etc. It's ridiculous.
I would love the aero look or sport design look but not gonna break the bank. If I keep this beast I want a plenum, maybe red seat belts, and stainless entry guards.

Old 04-29-2011 | 11:44 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
IMHO, i would save the money on plenum for 3.6 and any other performance mod for ur car.

best and cheapest way to improve ur car's performance is weight reduction..

best way to improve ur driving performance is DE/tracks

if u want ur car faster, just get a cat and lighter wheels and perhaps lower it. U can prob be as fast as any S just with lighter wheels and some skills..

find out about unsprung weight: i'll get u started.

the consensus is that 1 lb unsprung weight loss is equivalent to 10 lbs of vehicle weight..

so let's say i've lost 35lbs (conservative figure, since i actually lost 39.4 lbs).. that's same as losing 350 lbs of vehicle weight (sprung weight) !!

that translates to 0.3500 faster 1/4 mile..

and then there is the MOI (moment of inertia).. but that's another story.

if u r interested, read:
http://hondaswap.com/general-tech-articles/unsprung-weight-part-1-a-29057/
and
http://hondaswap.com/general-tech-articles/unsprung-weight-part-2-a-29058/

Old 04-29-2011 | 12:01 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Just have it repainted.

Jason

Old 04-29-2011 | 11:44 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
respray is the best option. black is very easy to match color. don't bother with dr chip. didn't work for me. it's basically same as a good touchup job.

Old 04-30-2011 | 09:46 AM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Get it resprayed and get 3M....for me 3M cost about $800 at Accutint for half the 1/3 the nose including lights, wheel lips, mirrors, and doorhandle wells. No worries about chips now, though I wish I did the whole hood.

Old 04-30-2011 | 09:55 AM
Bigthistle is infamous around these partsBigthistle is infamous around these parts
Don't bother with the S

Repaint and get a clear bra (XPel on mine - $600)