997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Utah to Minnesota road trip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 09:36 AM
roxorz is a splendid one to beholdroxorz is a splendid one to beholdroxorz is a splendid one to beholdroxorz is a splendid one to beholdroxorz is a splendid one to beholdroxorz is a splendid one to beholdroxorz is a splendid one to behold
Utah to Minnesota road trip

I am picking up my new toy (2006 C2S) in SLC and making a weekend drive back to MSP. I am looking for some route suggestions that would be fun, yet not too slow, so I can still get back in 2 days. What are some good mountain roads in that area and where can I do straight line speed to get through the boring driving?

Old 05-01-2011, 11:01 AM
jonnieski is infamous around these parts
I have two suggestions.

On I-80E, just after I-84 splits NW take the Echo Canyon Rd exit. This frontage road then parallels I-80 E for 10-12 miles beside the railroad line.

Second, exit I-80 at Walcott (mi #235) south on Rt #130 to Saratoga. Proceed east to Laramie over the Snowy Range Pass (@10,847') though Centennial. Total about 100 miles, but check on snow conditions w/ WY DOT as the pass closes in winter.

http://www.wyoroad.info/pls/Browse/WRR.RoadClosures

Old 05-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to my backyard!

From SLC take I-80 east to Hwy 40 (Silver Creek Junction) mm ~148.
Take Hwy 40 east a couple hundred miles through Steamboat Springs and over Rabbit Ears Pass to Hwy 14.
Turn north on Hwy 14, go through Walden to Hwy 127.
Take Hwy 127 to Laramie and reconnect with I-80.
Turn on cruise control and beat feet...........

If you end up with more time, let me know and I can outline several outstanding mountain loops in the area. Have fun!

Old 05-01-2011, 01:45 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
Sounds like a great roadtrip.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:29 PM
roxorz is a splendid one to beholdroxorz is a splendid one to beholdroxorz is a splendid one to beholdroxorz is a splendid one to beholdroxorz is a splendid one to beholdroxorz is a splendid one to beholdroxorz is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Steamboat
Welcome to my backyard!

From SLC take I-80 east to Hwy 40 (Silver Creek Junction) mm ~148.
Take Hwy 40 east a couple hundred miles through Steamboat Springs and over Rabbit Ears Pass to Hwy 14.
Turn north on Hwy 14, go through Walden to Hwy 127.
Take Hwy 127 to Laramie and reconnect with I-80.
Turn on cruise control and beat feet...........

If you end up with more time, let me know and I can outline several outstanding mountain loops in the area. Have fun!
If I follow your route, sounds like hwy 40 and 14 will give me some mountain road driving and then by the time I hit 127, just cover the distance, straight road - is that right? Guessing you are recommending hwy 40 over 80 for shear views & driving experience.

If so, that's perfect, doesn't look too bad as it only extends the trip by a couple of hours.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by roxorz
If I follow your route, sounds like hwy 40 and 14 will give me some mountain road driving and then by the time I hit 127, just cover the distance, straight road - is that right? Guessing you are recommending hwy 40 over 80 for shear views & driving experience.

If so, that's perfect, doesn't look too bad as it only extends the trip by a couple of hours.
Hwy 40 is quite scenic and generally is posted at 65 mph. It winds through some forests and Uinta mountain valleys while in Utah and then straightens out as you pass into Colorado. At the town of Dinosaur, so named for Dinosaur Natl. Monument and it's many fossils, the vistas become expansive. Coming into Craig, CO the Elkhead Mtns will be to your north while the western slope of the Park Range and Zirkel's will be off in the northeastern distance. Steamboat sits at the base of the Park Range which forms the spine of the Continental Divide in this area and which Rabbit Ears Pass traverses. Hwy 40 becomes a mountainous winding road at this point and affords gorgeous mountain views from both west and east summits of the Pass. Do Not speed on Rabbit Ears as it is heavily patrolled! Also, be aware that it has a reputation for having particularly nasty weather and there's still an s-load of snow around here. Should the chain law be in effect by chance and you have summer performance tires, don't go! Once you leave Steamboat, it's ~60 miles to Walden and another 60 to Laramie with nothing much else in between and a lot of it above 9,000 ft elevation.

Hwy 14 goes through what's know as North Park, a very large, flat expanse that is home to several large ranches. On your left will be the eastern slope of the Park Range and Zirkel's, on your right the Rabbit Ears Range and in the distance, the Never Summer's (love that name..). Once you go through Walden the road actually turns into Hwy 125 and that turns into 127 as you make a gentle right hand curve. This becomes a great driving road! Crossing the state line into Wyoming the road turns into WY State Road 230 and for another 10-15 miles your Porsche will be in car heaven. I think this is the southern end of the Snowy Range. Then its straight into Laramie and all points east.

Figure 5.5 hours from SLC to Steamboat and 2 hrs to Laramie. That probably adds 90 minutes compared to just blasting up I-80. I'd plan to spend the night in either Sidney or North Platte, NE. which is another ~125 - 250 miles from Laramie respectively so it's a pretty big driving day - but one that should be very enjoyable. Best,