997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.1 S 1st & 2nd gear Qs:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 12:49 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by konakai
when i'm going crosstown and i spot a hot chick on the crosswalk, i drop into first, for a just second, to make my presence known. It's also very effective in pushing little kids into their mothers arms.

And yet, i'm still single

Hilarious
lmsbo!

Old 05-03-2011, 01:50 PM
cbzzoom is infamous around these parts
The transmission is generally very stiff at low temperatures, much smoother when warm.

Still, 1st gear is nearly unsynchronized and has a "balk" ring, which prevents you from getting into it when the revs don't match.

2nd gear is less synchronized than the higher gears. All this is to make the transmission more robust in those gears.

All down-shifts really need to be rev matched. Especially 3rd to 2nd, the car will let you know if you're not getting it right.

Beginners should never downshift into 1st when moving. It's very very hard to get right and humility is required.

The best way to get into 1st is actually not at a stop, but just before you come to a stop, at about 1 mph, apply gentle pressure forward and it will slip into gear when the teeth line up.

Once at a complete stop, if you have trouble getting into 1st you can double-clutch and go back into neutral to move the teeth and try again; it also helps sometimes to go into 2nd (with clutch pedal down) and then back to 1st.

Only recently, after over a year of ownership and lots of practice with rev-matches and heel-and-toes have I started trying to get into 1st while moving, around 10 mph. To do it you need to rev match twice - not just rev match the engine, but also rev match the transmission gears, this requires double clutching and two blips and it's very hard to do it just right smoothly and quickly. It's very rewarding when you downshift 2nd to 1st through a tight corner and blow out of the exit with a drift

It's given me new respect for the old school rally drivers who had to do this stuff, and for semi-truck drivers who had unsynchronized transmissions!

Old 05-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
I don't have any issues getting in the 2nd gear, unless tranny is really cold, and on occassion get into first going around our numerous traffic circles where 2nd is to fast
for the traffic. Just have the stock shifter which is short enough for my taste, and rev match as close as I can. ( No Jackie Stewart but I get it right ever now and then.)

Old 05-03-2011, 02:52 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
Thank you for that detailed feedback, it is very insightful for someone like me who is new to these cars.

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
The transmission is generally very stiff at low temperatures, much smoother when warm.

Still, 1st gear is nearly unsynchronized and has a "balk" ring, which prevents you from getting into it when the revs don't match.

2nd gear is less synchronized than the higher gears. All this is to make the transmission more robust in those gears.

All down-shifts really need to be rev matched. Especially 3rd to 2nd, the car will let you know if you're not getting it right.

Beginners should never downshift into 1st when moving. It's very very hard to get right and humility is required.

The best way to get into 1st is actually not at a stop, but just before you come to a stop, at about 1 mph, apply gentle pressure forward and it will slip into gear when the teeth line up.

Once at a complete stop, if you have trouble getting into 1st you can double-clutch and go back into neutral to move the teeth and try again; it also helps sometimes to go into 2nd (with clutch pedal down) and then back to 1st.

Only recently, after over a year of ownership and lots of practice with rev-matches and heel-and-toes have I started trying to get into 1st while moving, around 10 mph. To do it you need to rev match twice - not just rev match the engine, but also rev match the transmission gears, this requires double clutching and two blips and it's very hard to do it just right smoothly and quickly. It's very rewarding when you downshift 2nd to 1st through a tight corner and blow out of the exit with a drift

It's given me new respect for the old school rally drivers who had to do this stuff, and for semi-truck drivers who had unsynchronized transmissions!