997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How to ship a bumper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 10:03 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Thanks for all the help everyone. Greyhound appears to be the best answer by far. Only $80 from Orange County to Bellingham, and only a day and a half transport time. Their size limits are much more generous, so I'll be able to use the box I have and wrap the bumper with bubble wrap and put packing around the bumper to keep it secure inside the box.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:40 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Thanks Jason. My "friend" has lots of money, so a couple of hundred dollars won't phase him at all. Do you agree Stacy?

yup.. i've also heard the same..

btw, Ken, i thought u were driving it up there in ur cabriolet..

Old 05-06-2011, 12:05 PM
drifter12 is infamous around these parts
ken, this thread is very helpful- thanks for starting it. I've had bumpers for sale before but it was always difficult to complete a sale due to the exorbitant shipping costs. Good to know about the greyhound option.

Would you mind providing more details on how to ship with Greyhound once you do it- in terms of how to set up a shipment, drop it off, pay for it, insurance, tracking etc? I'll definitely be going this route to ship my C2S bumper when I swap with a GT3 bumper!

Thanks for all the help everyone. Greyhound appears to be the best answer by far. Only $80 from Orange County to Bellingham, and only a day and a half transport time. Their size limits are much more generous, so I'll be able to use the box I have and wrap the bumper with bubble wrap and put packing around the bumper to keep it secure inside the box.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:13 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
yup.. i've also heard the same..

btw, Ken, i thought u were driving it up there in ur cabriolet..
WHAT....Carlitos.....and I bailed you out by buying this bumper from you!
I am still unsure HOW you bought it BUT I end up with it.......you ARE a GOOD salesman!

Yeah Ken,
One good thing about owning a Cab....once the top is down those funny sized boxes(like a bumper) fits! Drive it on up...BUDDY!

First beer is on me and maybe even dinner....IF you get it here WITHOUT scratching it!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 05-06-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:46 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justatoy
Yeah Ken,
One good thing about owning a Cab....once the top is down those funny sized boxes(like a bumper) fits! Drive it on up...BUDDY!

First beer is on me and maybe even dinner....IF you get it here WITHOUT scratching it!

Stacy
i can see it now...

Attached Images  
Old 05-06-2011, 12:47 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
^^^^^^^

Old 05-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Devils Advocate is infamous around these partsDevils Advocate is infamous around these parts
Glad it helped you find a solution

Originally Posted by drifter12
ken, this thread is very helpful- thanks for starting it. I've had bumpers for sale before but it was always difficult to complete a sale due to the exorbitant shipping costs. Good to know about the greyhound option.

Would you mind providing more details on how to ship with Greyhound once you do it- in terms of how to set up a shipment, drop it off, pay for it, insurance, tracking etc? I'll definitely be going this route to ship my C2S bumper when I swap with a GT3 bumper!
Just go to your local Greyhound station, tell them you want to ship something, and where, and they will look through their schedule and find the best way to get it there, and you'll pay right at the desk(cash, card, etc). You'll have an arrival time and usually it's an hour or two after the arrival time for them to unload their passengers and cargo, then you can pick it up. Insurance should be included in the price, or they might have an optional additional price but it shouldn't be ridiculously high or anything. Your best insurance is going to be how you pack your items, take a look at my previous post for more info. The Greyhound employees have always been extremely cautious and gentle with all the large items I've shipped. Also, in my experience, my items have always been first to load onto the bus(so it's in the center), and last to unload. This removes the necessity of them to constantly remove it or shuffle it around as the passengers unload at their various destinations along the way. As always, YMMV.

Last edited by Devils Advocate; 05-06-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:45 PM
aerogt3 is infamous around these partsaerogt3 is infamous around these parts
Use greyhound. VERY cheap.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
I used to buy things for my E60 BMW from UMNITZA, and whenver they shipped bumpers, ect they would use greyhound..its pretty easy & convenient i guess!

Old 05-06-2011, 07:12 PM
OKB
OKB is infamous around these parts
OK guys, this is how you ship a bumper. Ive done 1/2 a dozen this way. Bubble wrap and tape. Works every time.
Fedx ground, no measuring , no weight, just take it in.
About $50 or less coast to coast

Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2011, 06:05 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
I think Ken needs a reason to make a run!

Old 05-07-2011, 06:25 AM
WTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant future
Greyhound is the way to go.. V35 shipped me his gt3 rear bumper from Cali (if i remember correct) and it was about 125 bucks i think he said. It just needs to be picked up and dropped off from there.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:48 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
i can see it now...
Thanks for the great idea Carlitos.

Stacy: I'm on my way!!

Attached Images     
Old 05-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Perfect fit....KEN you are the greatest!
Like I said..."What a way to promote your shipping Company/services"
Your slogan should be.....

Ken's Shipping and Parcel wrapping services.....NO item too small or too big and we work for free!

PS that is why you put the WOOD in there...to use as a handle for that HIGH speed delivery!

Name:  freight1.jpg
Views: 3106
Size:  54.2 KB

Name:  freight4.jpg
Views: 3140
Size:  61.5 KB

Name:  freight3.jpg
Views: 3117
Size:  76.2 KB

Name:  freight2.jpg
Views: 3088
Size:  83.6 KB

Last edited by justatoy; 05-12-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:54 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
These pics need to be submitted as part of Porsche's "Everyday" campaign!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to ship a bumper