997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Misfire in 3 cylinders

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 04:59 AM
Comet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to all
Misfire in 3 cylinders

Story incoming (you can skip if you want)

[STORY]
So I've been noticing my car has been slower... like really slower
I chalked it up to me imagining things.
But I decided to time my 0-60 (using the speed chrono) to get an idea if I was wrong..
I was pulling 8 seconds with my 4S :/
which I thought was messed up..
so I decided to take it to the dealership today:
I took it in and I told them that I was having performance issues with my car..
the guy turned on the car to move it up to the scanner and felt what I was talking about, he asked me what kind of fuel I had been filling up to which I told him "from Total, 98" (which around here is basically the ONLY thing you fill your car with if you have a performance car).
the guy said "another one.."
I was obviously perplexed.
[/STORY]

the technician pointed to 4 other Carreras and told me they are all suffering from the same lack of performance and they associate it to this "Effimax" fuel they've been starting to use
it is supposed to increase mileage while decreasing consumption due to some new additives.
Anyways.. he plugged it into the scanner and I saw a list around 15 error codes long.
The ones I remember were:
* Misfire Cylinder 1 (excess value)
* Misfire Cylinder 2 (excess value)
* Misfire Cylinder 3 (excess value)
* Car Running Rich
* O2 sensor before cat fault
* O2 sensor after cat fault
* Bank 1 fuel rich
* Bank 1 fuel fault

or something of the sort
they told me they need about 1 week to get the car running again.

My question: will this be under warranty? or am I looking at a nice 5,000$ bill?
I mean, I didn't do anything wrong.. is filling gas wrong if it is from a source that has been reliable for all 18,000kms on this car (and obviously 4 other 911s)?
Can I be held accountable?
I filled up the right octane, and it wasn't like I pushed the car beyond its limits or anything.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:35 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Its a shame you have to go thru this and sorry I don't know the answer...but this could get interesting.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:07 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
Most auto warrantees do not cover problems caused by fuel.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:04 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
I would say - fight it if they will try to get it covered by warranty. Your product manual says any 93+ octane gas was allowed, you used '98', so, legally i do not see how it is your fault.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:10 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Comet

[STORY]
So I've been noticing my car has been slower... like really slower
I chalked it up to me imagining things.
But I decided to time my 0-60 (using the speed chrono) to get an idea if I was wrong..
I was pulling 8 seconds with my 4S :/
which I thought was messed up..
so I decided to take it to the dealership today:
I took it in and I told them that I was having performance issues with my car..
the guy turned on the car to move it up to the scanner and felt what I was talking about, he asked me what kind of fuel I had been filling up to which I told him "from Total, 98" (which around here is basically the ONLY thing you fill your car with if you have a performance car).
the guy said "another one.."
I was obviously perplexed.
[/STORY]

the technician pointed to 4 other Carreras and told me they are all suffering from the same lack of performance and they associate it to this "Effimax" fuel they've been starting to use
it is supposed to increase mileage while decreasing consumption due to some new additives.
Anyways.. he plugged it into the scanner and I saw a list around 15 error codes long.
The ones I remember were:
* Misfire Cylinder 1 (excess value)
* Misfire Cylinder 2 (excess value)
* Misfire Cylinder 3 (excess value)
* Car Running Rich
* O2 sensor before cat fault
* O2 sensor after cat fault
* Bank 1 fuel rich
* Bank 1 fuel fault

or something of the sort
they told me they need about 1 week to get the car running again.

My question: will this be under warranty? or am I looking at a nice 5,000$ bill?
I mean, I didn't do anything wrong.. is filling gas wrong if it is from a source that has been reliable for all 18,000kms on this car (and obviously 4 other 911s)?
I filled up the right octane, and it wasn't like I pushed the car beyond its limits or anything.
All those faults and no CEL? As others have said, bad fuel isn't Porsche's fault so I wouldn't expect any warranty help.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:41 AM
Cabinetman is infamous around these partsCabinetman is infamous around these parts
If you fill up at one station and can prove the fuel was at fault then the station/distributor might step up and help.

I had an issue with water in the diesel fuel my employees were buying at a local station. Once it was confirmed it was the fuel I got with the station owner and he covered the repairs to my truck. I had receipts and mileage logs that showed all the fuel bought for that truck had come from this one station.

Good luck!

Old 05-06-2011, 08:06 AM
Comet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
All those faults and no CEL? As others have said, bad fuel isn't Porsche's fault so I wouldn't expect any warranty help.
yeah.. no CEL.. I was shocked too!

Originally Posted by utkinpol
I would say - fight it if they will try to get it covered by warranty. Your product manual says any 93+ octane gas was allowed, you used '98', so, legally i do not see how it is your fault.
98 RON = 93 IKA
it is basically the same grade
it also isn't their fault that the fuel is bad.. maybe I'm living in a dream world, but shouldn't cars come with some kind of fail safe in case bad gas is pumped in?

Originally Posted by Cabinetman
If you fill up at one station and can prove the fuel was at fault then the station/distributor might step up and help.

I had an issue with water in the diesel fuel my employees were buying at a local station. Once it was confirmed it was the fuel I got with the station owner and he covered the repairs to my truck. I had receipts and mileage logs that showed all the fuel bought for that truck had come from this one station.
Good luck!
one brand of station.. and I doubt the station is going to do anything..
no receipts either, and I pay cash most of the time... the tech guy however did mention that the fuel I've been filling up has been problematic for them lately.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:18 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Have you thought about contacting the owners of the other cars having the same fuel problem? Also, maybe you should try and get a second opinion from another dealer / mechanic.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:25 AM
one exclusive dealer in the country
so SOL
contacting the others? the tech told me they all fill up at the same brand

Old 05-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by PTParks
If Porsche fails to cover the damages, then I would recommend getting together with the other owners whose cars were affected by this particular brand of gasoline and discuss the issues with an lawyer. A strongly worded letter to the gasoline station/distributor may have the desired effect you are looking for.

This couldn't be just a "Porsche only" malady. I'd check with other automobile dealerships in the area and see if they are seeing similar problems with their customer's vehicles. Strength in numbers, if you will.

In our area (Raleigh/Fayetteville, NC) there is a television station that has a consumer watchdog advocate that will go public whenever it is proven that a company is refusing to stand behind their products. The last thing a company wants is bad press and usually antes up and makes good. Maybe you have something similar in your area.
Montreal - probably. Beirut - don't know.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:24 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Montreal - probably. Beirut - don't know.
Ah, sorry. Missed the location.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:46 AM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
quick drain of the tank and clearing the codes and adding different fuel should
prove if its fuel or something else.

take about 2 hours not a week

Old 05-06-2011, 11:05 AM
the error codes pretty much said the O2 sensors are goners...
so they need to replace them in either case
and the car was running extremely rich

Old 05-08-2011, 10:43 PM
neuneleven has a spectacular aura aboutneuneleven has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Comet

4 weeks ago, i had a misfire in cylinder #3. had just returned from a 1600 mile round trip and driven 800 miles the day it occured. Highway drive appeared unremarkable. Came off the ramp near my home and throttled it up after the stop sign and it sputtered but took off, fairly fast, but with a shudder. Had grossly audible misfiring the next day which improved once the engine was warm. Check engine light came on 2 days later. Ran the tank low and refuelled it at my local gas station. Problem failed to disappear. Again, it ran quite well when warm but misfired more audibly in the morning. Took it to the dealer where the DFinjector was found to be out of order. Was told something about there being a bulletin issued on this matter. All 6 fuel injectors were changed out under warranty - not just the one with the engine misfire -2009C2. My car was also gone for nearly a week. Makes me wonder if your troubles are solely attributable to gas or if there is not an issue with the DFI which might get unmasked/exacerbated by gas. I usually fuel up at mobil and shell and especially when I travel out of town, I ensure the rating on the pump is appropriate. No additives used, ever. I fuelled exclusively at shell stations on the drive back

I hope your issues can be tracked down at least in part to the DFI and that Porsche foots the bill. best of luck.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:18 AM
^ thanks
you've given me a glimmer of hope

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Misfire in 3 cylinders