997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Need Help! Keep my 997.1 C2 or Upgrade to a 997.2 4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 01:12 AM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
Need Help! Keep my 997.1 C2 or Upgrade to a 997.2 4S

I have the opportunity to upgrade to a 997.2 4S for $28k. The car has 6k miles and approx 2.5 years left on the warranty. My current car (2007 997.1 C2) has 22k miles and no warranty.

Will there be a substantial difference in power? Have any forum members done this? If so, what are your overall thoughts/opinions?

Old 05-08-2011, 02:14 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I would not do it.

Sure the price sounds appealing
BUT ------------

In order to get that price it means the C4S is most likely a launch car and NOT certified. The way to tell is the launch 4S were meteor with bucket seats and PDK. Is it being sold independently? If so .. even more risk.

28K is a lot of money plus your car and at that price level there ought not be even one shred of doubt.
That means a NEW car OR to keep your current car.
A new c2S might run you 45K -50K plus your car.

The 997.2S is faster but the AWD will feel less agile than your c2 .

Last edited by yrralis1; 05-08-2011 at 02:24 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:59 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
I am currently in the market for a 911 C2S or C4S and have driven numerous cars. To me the difference is not 28K if you love your current C2S. I know for me, gettting to know my car is half the fun and now that you know your current car, it's service history, repairs (especially with no warranty). If you purchased the new(er) car, the unknown comes into play for basically the same car and that does not seem worth it to me.

Maybe take some of that cash, upgrade your interior, wheels (if you like to do that), and/or other "stuff" and make your car a little more personalized.

However, I will ask the question. Do you need AWD?

Old 05-08-2011, 06:41 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Test drive the 997.2 and I believe you'll notice a big difference in the HP from 325 to 385 and torque from 273 to 310. You get 2.5 years of warranty on a car with almost no miles. If you like the .2 better and you've got the $$ why not ? Another 997.1 C2's wouldn't be hard to find if you changed your mind, which I doubt will happen. Just think, no more bad dreams about IMS failure. Sounds like a no brainer to me. Go for it.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:44 AM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by yrralis1

In order to get that price it means the C4S is most likely a launch car and NOT certified. The way to tell is the launch 4S were meteor with bucket seats and PDK. Is it being sold independently? If so .. even more risk.
What is the problem with a Launch car? What makes it a risk?

Last edited by lowpue; 05-08-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:40 PM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
Thank you for all of the comments (please keep them coming).

I agree that stepping into the unknown is undesirable, but hopefully a PPI and DME will help shed some light onto the car's history. Btw, it is a 1 owner with all service records.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:06 PM
strife_wy has a spectacular aura aboutstrife_wy has a spectacular aura about
why not wait for the 991?

Old 05-08-2011, 05:05 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911cv
Thank you for all of the comments (please keep them coming).

I agree that stepping into the unknown is undesirable, but hopefully a PPI and DME will help shed some light onto the car's history. Btw, it is a 1 owner with all service records.
Are you buying it from the owner or an independent lot ? The trade in sounds like an indy . If so .. why do you think the car is there .
I'm being sincere when trying to sort away the risk factors .

Old 05-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by lowpue
What is the problem with a Launch car? What makes it a risk?
aside from the potential for some of the new car gremlins the main negative is the sheer production numbers of IDENTICAL cars .

Also a C4S buyer usually tilts a bit more towards luxury and sport bucket seats although great for a gt3 were an odd fit for a C4S .
In fact one forum member bought the launch car and traded it and one of his reasons was that in his middle age a long trip on those seats were rough . A 25 year old won't care .. until he goes to sell it.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
I would take the $28K + car and go shop for a 997.1 Turbo. The performance difference is incredible and you might be surprised at what you can find. GL!

Old 05-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Steamboat
I would take the $28K + car and go shop for a 997.1 Turbo. The performance difference is incredible and you might be surprised at what you can find. GL!
Agreed . If it has to be used kit may as well be a Turbo and at that price level he can get a CPO car with some added reasurrance. There will be no question about Hp too.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:42 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by yrralis1
aside from the potential for some of the new car gremlins the main negative is the sheer production numbers of IDENTICAL cars .

Also a C4S buyer usually tilts a bit more towards luxury and sport bucket seats although great for a gt3 were an odd fit for a C4S .
In fact one forum member bought the launch car and traded it and one of his reasons was that in his middle age a long trip on those seats were rough . A 25 year old won't care .. until he goes to sell it.
Thanks for the explanation....I agree with you...my 50 year old body would not like those seats either. I'll give you rep points for taking the time to explain. Thanks.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Rodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really nice
There will be a substantial difference in power. I'd personally prefer a C2S but the C4S is awesome nontheless. If the C4S is well optioned, I'd personally do it. $28K is not trivial but the 997.2S is substantially better than a 997.1 non-S. A new one is likely $20K more on top of the $28K with no difference. So if you're comfortable with the cash - why not.

The TT thing is like a blond / brunette. No right / wrong answer. I like the lighter, NA feel. Money no object, I'd take a 997.2 TTS though

Old 05-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by Rodsky
The TT thing is like a blond / brunette. No right / wrong answer. I like the lighter, NA feel. Money no object, I'd take a 997.2 TTS though
I agree for me it just doesn't make much sense to upgrade within generations even though it is .1 to a .2 unless you go turbo. Frankly I would only go after a big upgrade like a 997.2 turbo or GT3. Otherwise hold on and wait for the 991.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:53 PM
I didn't think so many people would vote "No."

The point regarding the agility of the car is well taken. I had the opportunity to drive a copy of awd P cars in the past and noticed a big difference between them and my C2.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Help! Keep my 997.1 C2 or Upgrade to a 997.2 4S