997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Revealed: Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 02:47 AM
Comet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to all
Revealed: Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Walking into a Porsche dealership with the intention of buying a 911 Carrera was already a tricky prospect given the seemingly endless list of variants to choose from. Now, you can add two more, starting with the 911 Carrera 4 GTS Coupe.

What Porsche has essentially done is combine the powerful 408 horsepower 3.8-liter six-cylinder engine from the GTS rear-wheel drive models and add in front-wheel drive as well, for a new all-wheel drive experience in the 911 lineup.
As far as the 911 Carrera 4 GTS Coupe is concerned, the end result is a zero-to-62 mile per hour sprint capability in 4.6 seconds when equipped with a six-speed manual transmission, or just 4.4 seconds if one opts for the Porsche-Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK) seven-speed automatic transmission. Despite swapping out the engine for a more powerful unit than the 4S model, Porsche says fuel economy stays the same, which the automaker attributes to Porsche Intelligent Performance technology.
Porsche says that the 4 GTS is built with hardcore performance in mind. As a result, standard features include a crucial limited-slip differential with is incorporated into the overall performance of the all-wheel drive system.
In terms of cosmetic differences between other 911 models, the new Carrera 4 GTS Coupe comes with the expected unique badging on the doors and rear lid, as well as an additional reflective stripe between the taillights. Of course, the 4 GTS uses the same wide body found on other AWD models. Cosmetic variances continue with 19-inch black RS Spyder wheels with central locking and gloss-lathed rim flanges, wrapped in 305/30ZR19 tires out back.
Towards the front, one will notice the Porsche Sport-Design front apron with a black painted spoiler lip and matching black special side skirts. As all GTS owners have come to expect, the interior is covered in swaths of black Alcantara covering the center panels, steering wheel, gearshift, handbrake, door handles and door storage box lid.
U.S. pricing is not yet available, but German pricing starts at 111,956 Euros including VAT. The Coupe model goes on sale this July in Germany.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/porsche-...gts-coupe.html

---------------------

Got the press release from Porsche today.

I don't know what to feel to be honest...

Last edited by Comet; 05-12-2011 at 02:58 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:33 AM
Comet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to all
Old 05-12-2011, 04:35 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Meh
I'd prefer the 2wd version

Old 05-12-2011, 04:49 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jack667
Meh
Me also...but its about choices and the GTS is a good choice value wise.

Far better to me than the black edition which is limited to the base car and engine.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:51 AM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
At some point we will stop being surprised when Porsche introduces another model. Wait, we are there.......

Up next week: The 911 Grand Sport Black Series GTS RS Special Limited Final Final Edition.....

Old 05-12-2011, 05:05 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by KK Moto
At some point we will stop being surprised when Porsche introduces another model. Wait, we are there.......

Up next week: The 911 Grand Sport Black Series GTS RS Special Limited Final Final Edition.....
I thi th whole issue of different models is just semantics. Call it the same model with an option to get awd.
Black edition is a trim package on the same model.
Having options and trim package choices doesn't seem like a bad thing to me, and if they want to call them different models, that's fine with me, too.
Widebody used to be an option in the old days.

Anyway, the only reason I'd buy a 4 these days is for the widebody, but you get that with the 2wd GTS, so GTS4 is a yawner for me

Old 05-12-2011, 05:58 AM
I can't wait for the Turbo GTS :P

Old 05-12-2011, 06:10 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
I wake up and there's another GTS to choose from...but I'd still pick my 2WD model over the 4. The only main difference I see (other than AWD) is the Mechanical Locking Differential is standard. Everything else is exactly the same.

And pricing was announced: $110,200 for the Coupe, $120,100 for the Cabrio.

I like the reflector strip across the rear though, but not going to pay $950 for the part and then another $500 or so to have it painted and another Model Logo.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:24 AM
exponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Jack667
Meh
+1 me too

Old 05-12-2011, 07:29 AM
Neo
Neo is infamous around these parts
And everyone of you who said “I’d rather have the 2WD version” lives somewhere warm. This is a nice option between the 4S and Turbo for those that may see snow or lots of rain and want the additional traction.

I agree that a lot of the 911 versions are just trim packages or options on a lot of other cars.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:33 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Neo
And everyone of you who said “I’d rather have the 2WD version” lives somewhere warm.
Good point...I tend to forget about those DD P-Cars in the north where this makes a lot of sense.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:47 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
All these new models are really just special option packages that allow a buyer to get the 997 optioned well for cheaper. I see all these as "997 going away sales".

The 2WD version was at least unique given that you cannot option WB.... I guess Center Lock is unique but I personally would not spec it.

Its awesome that Porsche is doing this. The Black Edition gives you a very well optioned black C2 at a big discount.

Jason

Last edited by JEllis; 05-12-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:52 AM
JohnAMG is infamous around these parts
yeah, leave us 4WD people alone Where I live it makes a world of difference. However, my friends always cringe when they found out I drive my Porsche all year round, especially through snow

John

Old 05-12-2011, 08:03 AM
Neo
Neo is infamous around these parts
The fact that the 911 comes in AWD and has "rear seats" allows it to be an option for my next car purchase. If I get one it will see 16k+ miles a year rain, snow or shine.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:58 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
might as well buy the turbo.. jeez.. the 2wd was cool because wide body without awd.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Revealed: Porsche Carrera 4 GTS