997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I want a heated steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Bayetta is infamous around these parts
I want a heated steering wheel

Will the PDK Multi-Function Steering Wheel give me a heated wheel? If so are there other parts I will need or is it plug and play?

2009 CS PDK

Thanks

Old 05-13-2011, 06:33 PM
OKB
OKB is infamous around these parts
you have to have a wheel with the heat strip in it, it will have a button on the back of the wheel, bottom center

Old 05-14-2011, 08:41 AM
Bayetta is infamous around these parts
Porsche was replacing my wheel under warranty for some issues and I asked the repair department about paying more to get a heated wheel. This was his response so I dropped it. I just wanted to know others opinions.

"I talked with my shop foreman and we have tried this before. It's not an easy process and it seemed to snowball on us. First it needed the wheel, then the clock spring...then the steering control modal and at that point the client gave up. We put everything back and were never sure if there was anything else needed. Long story short can it be done. Probably but likely to be very pricey.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Bayetta
Porsche was replacing my wheel under warranty for some issues and I asked the repair department about paying more to get a heated wheel. This was his response so I dropped it. I just wanted to know others opinions.

"I talked with my shop foreman and we have tried this before. It's not an easy process and it seemed to snowball on us. First it needed the wheel, then the clock spring...then the steering control modal and at that point the client gave up. We put everything back and were never sure if there was anything else needed. Long story short can it be done. Probably but likely to be very pricey.
Not sure if you have heated seats or not... if you don't that may be an issue as I thought I'd read the wheel is controlled via the seat heating controller for power and whatnot.

If you have heated seats, you need a 'heated' wheel and may need a new steering wheel controller, though I'm no expert on which controllers have what functionality.

I'm upgrading my 09 wheel, which is the older 997.1 design as I have a 6spd manual and the new wheels were not available for the manual gearbox cars in 09. The new wheel will be heated and multifunction. Wheel is on order but won't know what was needed until we get it installed and tested later this summer. its still needing to get delivered from Germany (the wheel). So I don't know which controllers and clock-springs will need to be replaced/installed other than some best guesses on similar but not the same, type of installs.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Suncoast indicates on thier web site that they can get you what you need to do that upgrade. Not sure about the need to have heated seat though. Might be worth giving them a call to find out if you're interested.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:19 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Will the PDK Multi-Function Steering Wheel give me a heated wheel? If so are there other parts I will need or is it plug and play?

2009 CS PDK

Thanks
Not necessarily: There are 2 versions of the '09 MF PDK wheel - heated and non-heated - I know because I had mine switched at delivery to MF, buy they got the wrong wheel at first and had to re-order it with heat. But my car had a heated wheel in it anyway and I think heated seats are required as part of that option.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:00 AM
raspritz is infamous around these partsraspritz is infamous around these parts
A pair of driving gloves would be more practical.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:11 PM
Plp39503 has a spectacular aura aboutPlp39503 has a spectacular aura about
My PDK car came with heated seats + steering wheel. I added the M/F about a month later, no problems. I have to say the heated wheel is nice in cold weather, even more so than heated seats!

Old 05-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by raspritz
A pair of driving gloves would be more practical.
Certainly cheaper.

But I'm not able to find a good pair of driving gloves that don't look stupid. Got any good links on the web?

But still, if the gloves are in the glove box, they too will be cold, but would heat up quicker once worn. Though the loss of dexterity and touch and the bigger fingers for button pushing would have to be adjusted to as well.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Plp39503 has a spectacular aura aboutPlp39503 has a spectacular aura about
Not to mention not being able to operate a touch screen phone while going 100mph LOL

Old 05-17-2011, 09:20 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of

I went from the base triangle airbag wheel on my 09' 997.2 to the 2010 MF heated wheel. It took 6 trips, half of those figuring out that a steering control module and clock spring needed to be upgraded. After that it was a PIWIS flash. There's a post on all this.

The heat is more useful than the MF IMHO.

Good luck whatever you choose.

DRP

Old 05-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Suncoast sold me the kit for my 09 w/ heated seats and no MF controls on 2009 round airbag wheel:

New wheel w heat and MF (black trim)
New round airbag w stone grey leather
New Clock spring
New steering column switch/module

Once the wheel gets in from Germany, it will be off to the dealer for them to do the swap and do the PIWIS programming. I'll see if that is all that is needed.

Mine is a 6spd manual gearbox; for the PDK cars there have been some issues of things not working with the controller, but that may be related to the flappy paddle switches and I suspect is contained to the PDK solutions upgrading to 2011 wheels.