997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Need advice in buying/leasing a brand new 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 07:33 AM
prosche is infamous around these parts
You are right buckwheat986! One of the dealers I am in contact with was offering me snow wheels/kits as a part of the price...
still my mind is for 4S.... few days ago, I have seen this black edition. It looks great too!

Guys, please send me more tips... I just want to make sure my 1st buying experience for 911 wont go drastic.... I love this iconic car - many others also do!

Old 05-15-2011, 09:01 AM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
the dealer sells gap insurance,(call your insurance company ask for a quote)

I would call your personal insurance company and inquire about it..
If that car is stolen or totaled in the couple years you own it..you will be out at least 10k.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:19 AM
murox has a spectacular aura aboutmurox has a spectacular aura aboutmurox has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by prosche
Thanks NC 997 for the tip. I like GTS too.

I will visit 3 to 4 dealers, hope they have the right one for me in their inventory...

I hope I can negotiate their asking price... but I am not quite sure whether its OK to negotiate on the MRRP.
Is this guy serious?

If you're not sure whether it's ok to negotiate off of MSRP, you have no business purchasing a $100k+ car. Is this the first time you've ever bought a car?

Secondly, if you have to "budget" for routine maintenance, it's probably not in your best interest to purchase such an expensive car.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:10 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by murox
Is this guy serious?

If you're not sure whether it's ok to negotiate off of MSRP, you have no business purchasing a $100k+ car. Is this the first time you've ever bought a car?

Secondly, if you have to "budget" for routine maintenance, it's probably not in your best interest to purchase such an expensive car.
he may be referring to negotiating off the MSRP of the NEW model GTS4.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Ridleyguy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yrralis1

Leasing --
Will cost you with service , inceptions , finance fees , tax , surrender fees etc about 1800 a month (out the door cost) for a c4S . That's 64800 to rent a c4S for three years to end up with no car .
While I don't disagree with you that leasing is 'generally' more expensive than buying, I think to make it an equivalent financial comparison vs buying, you have to take into consideration the lost investment opportunity cost of buying the vehicle outright vs leasing and investing the equivalent purchase cost over the same period, less the negative cash flow from the lease payments. You also spread the cost of the taxes out with leasing. Of course this assumes one has the purchase cost equivalent saved, but chooses to lease.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:49 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ridleyguy
While I don't disagree with you that leasing is 'generally' more expensive than buying, I think to make it an equivalent financial comparison vs buying, you have to take into consideration the lost investment opportunity cost of buying the vehicle outright vs leasing and investing the equivalent purchase cost over the same period, less the negative cash flow from the lease payments. You also spread the cost of the taxes out with leasing. Of course this assumes one has the purchase cost equivalent saved, but chooses to lease.
Investment is speculative and for every success story one can cite counter examples of those who lost . One can lose a lot more money than a Porsche in a failed investment .

A car is tangible asset and it also happens to (in most cases) be a necessity . Most people do need a vehicle . The diffference is they don't need a Porsche . They want a Porsche .

In my opinion .. when splitting the hairs of wanting something Vs needing it .. the person better have the cash flow to back it up . Otherwise he is living beyond his means and that is precisely what a lot of lease purchases are . They are people who want to rent the nice item but in many cases can't afford to buy it and in the end .. they pay more for it than the guy who can.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:00 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by murox
Is this guy serious?

I may have called it earlier when I see threads like these.

The sad part is that these types of posts might be indicatiive of a generation who still live under the wing of their hard working parents and hope to make every effort to own things that they either can't afford or have no clue on how to face the actual expenses .

A seasoned car owner has had enough car buying experience that when he finally makes it to a high end car he's better prepared . The new crop of shopper only sees the monthy payment .

In fact the original poster does say that in three years he has to move . That is a big life changing event and to spend 60K beforehand to lease a car rather than save that money .. in itself shows a lack of future preparation.

That's if this thread is even genuine because its so far fetched that it almost sounds like a youthful dreamland .

Old 05-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Thank all so much for all the tips. I do appreciate all the info.

tonka858: Thanks for your advice on insurance. I will talk to the insurer.

murox: If the price is fixed, then I dont have any objection. But MSRP, servicing fees vary from dealer to dealer. Also, I have never bought a car in the USA... so, I am just trying to make sure that I wont over charged. Yes, its an expensive car, perhaps Im not yet ready for it... But I hope I can finally drive my dream car by July.

buckwheat986: As the price is not fixed, but varies from dealer to dealer, I will see if I can get any reduction on their asking price.

Ridleyguy: I may have to leave US after 3 years, so I thought leasing would be good option for me as I dont want to go thru the hassle of selling the car if I have a buy one. If I have to stay more than 3 years, then I will terminate the lease next year and buy the next 911 model that will be out next year.

I need help from the 911 owners like you guys as I want to:

1. get the right 911 (base/black ed, S, 4 or 4S, GTS) with right options installed
2. protect myself from being ripped off by the dealer (Real-estate agents and car dealers are very tricky!)

Please post more... Thank you all in advance.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:51 PM
yrralis1: I love it your comments... which are partly true, but some parts are not.

I am not a rich guy, neither my parents are, but I have been working hard to save for a new Gallardo LP 560-4 (my 2nd dream car). This 911 (my first dream car) will be financed by my dearest wife as an incentive for me to move to the usa with her at least for 3 years. After 3 years, we will move back home, but if situation demands, we might stay longer than 3 years. Thats the reason I can not commit to buy one, but prefer to lease.

You are right too: I want a Porsche. But at the same time I need a Porsche 911 (base, S, 4, 4S or GTS) too. I dont like how the design slightly gets changed in GT, Turbo, Tagra... Please note that its not just because of the brand "Porsche" ... mostly its the design of 911 (base, S, 4, 4S or GTS) that stirs my mind if 911 gets sold to even Suzuki, I will keep dreaming to buy one from Suzuki. I never have dreamed of buying other models (such as boxter, cay*, pan... ) from Porsche.

I am humbly restating my main points: 1. I need the right model, and second is: I dont want to get ripped off by the dealer (the last car I bought, I got ripped off because I didnt do enough research before buying.).

Last edited by prosche; 05-15-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:35 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Your wife is going to lease the car for you as an incentive to move here?

Old 05-15-2011, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by lacrosse
Your wife is going to lease the car for you as an incentive to move here?
she doesn't mind buying the car... but i prefer leasing to avoid the hassle of selling the car. I am not a good seller, even for the products i make for my small company, i keep my self out from selling... let my marketing/sales team to sell....

Old 05-15-2011, 10:46 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
That is nice that she wouldn't mind........ My point is that you need an "incentive" to move?

Old 05-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by lacrosse
That is nice that she wouldn't mind........ My point is that you need an "incentive" to move?
I have a small biz to run with a little bit complex relationship with wife, but that's not the point here.....

Please post me more with info so I dont make dealers unnecessarily rich while I can choose the right model with right accessories. They already ripped me off last time I bought the SUV i drive.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:59 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
Most companies that provide cars to workers always lease.

so its not always someone leaving beyond their means..plus its harder to qualify for a lease.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by tonka858
Most companies that provide cars to workers always lease.

so its not always someone leaving beyond their means..plus its harder to qualify for a lease.

Not sure about the leasing conditions in the USA. But I am pretty sure wife can manage it

I just want to make sure that I have the right toy. And I wont be over charged (you know how hard it is to earn every single penny...).

Thanks guys heaps. I already have info on the insurance, snow issues, leasing ideas, servicing/maintenance cost etc. But any additional info will be always appreciated.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need advice in buying/leasing a brand new 997