997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Aligning the Steering Wheel to going Straight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:04 AM
cam99 is infamous around these partscam99 is infamous around these parts
Aligning the Steering Wheel to going Straight

Hi, new to the forum and new to the Pcar.

My steering wheel is a little off center when the car is driving staright. Is it a Wheel alignement of a matter of disconnecting the sterring linkage rotating it a couple of degrees and re-attaching?

Is this easy or a job for the pro's?

TIA

Old 05-16-2011, 09:41 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
how far in degrees is it off?...just one cog on the steering wheel gear will move the wheel more than a few degrees so if it is off only a very small amount then it was done during alignment and needs to be corrected by someone who knows what they are doing or you will screw up your front toe adjustment and you will still have a car that won't go straight when the steering wheel is centered....plus, you will scrub your front tires to boot...I wouldn't mess with the steering linkage even if you can get to it...you might not get it tightened properly and that would be an unpleasant surprise...usually, the centering of the steering wheel is done by fine tuning the length of the tie rods (after the toe adjustment is made) while maintaining the toe setting

Old 05-16-2011, 09:55 AM
cam99 is infamous around these partscam99 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
how far in degrees is it off?...just one cog on the steering wheel gear will move the wheel more than a few degrees so if it is off only a very small amount then it was done during alignment and needs to be corrected by someone who knows what they are doing or you will screw up your front toe adjustment and you will still have a car that won't go straight when the steering wheel is centered....plus, you will scrub your front tires to boot...I wouldn't mess with the steering linkage even if you can get to it...you might not get it tightened properly and that would be an unpleasant surprise...usually, the centering of the steering wheel is done by fine tuning the length of the tie rods (after the toe adjustment is made) while maintaining the toe setting
Thanks, its a couple of degrees off, I can learn to live with it, had the same problem on my last Vette after I removed/replaced the steering for a cam change.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
if it is only a couple of degrees off then it is likely you can't get it centerred by removing the steering wheel and moving one cog...the next time you have it aligned find a competent shop that will take the time to center the steering wheel after the front toe is adjusted

Old 05-16-2011, 04:58 PM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
My car came a couple of degrees off center, too. The local dealer fixed it by doing a 4-wheel alignment (though I think it should just be the front toe).

Old 05-16-2011, 07:32 PM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
i had that too!

i had Porsche of Roslyn do an allignment for the same exact reason. I am not sure why it lost it within 2000 miles to begin with since i am extremely careful with bumps, and road conditions...

Old 05-16-2011, 07:59 PM
jeneric996 is infamous around these parts
It could be the thrust angle is slightly off.