997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Buying advice needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 05:15 PM
NYCEnglish is infamous around these parts
Buying advice needed

Hello everyone,

I have the option on two cars. Both specced the way I like them.

1. New 2011 C2, 10% discount.
Pros: Brand new! 4 year warranty.

2. 2010 C4S, 50 miles, 17% off MSRP
Pros: S car, 4WD, Wide Body, $2K more offered for my trade in
Cons: Not quite new, 3 years left on warranty, $5K + tax extra over option 1 for this deal, smaller frunk

I love the wide body but the smaller frunk might be a small hinderance, 4WD is a small plus.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Old 05-16-2011, 05:33 PM
krysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant future
def. #2

Old 05-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
#2, no doubt about it.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
The moment you drive either one off the lot, it will be "older". Not to worry, this is about a car, not a lifelong appreciating investment.

The biggest swing, imo, is the S package. Take time to research the differences so you understand why.

With re: to the Frunk; Why would you care? You and your loved ones don't ride there anyway. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Enjoy either one in good health! Best,

Old 05-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Luke03 is infamous around these parts
The c4 is more wide than c2 ? why ?

I say you should go with c2 or c2s, personally i don't agree that 4wd.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:26 PM
DCI
DCI is infamous around these parts
Find a C2S for the same deal. 4S has the great hips, but the 2S is more funn to drive.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:37 PM
fjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to all
2. 2010 C4S, 50 miles, 17% off MSRP for me.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
#2 if you plan to use it as a daily driver in your location. If the car has an issue it should show up before you run out of 3 years of warranty.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks everyone - seems like #2 is the overwhelming choice!

PS. The car is purely recreational, never in snow, but will drive in the winter occasionally. No more than 5,000 miles a year.

Originally Posted by Alan C.
#2 if you plan to use it as a daily driver in your location. If the car has an issue it should show up before you run out of 3 years of warranty.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NYCEnglish
Thanks everyone - seems like #2 is the overwhelming choice!

PS. The car is purely recreational, never in snow, but will drive in the winter occasionally. No more than 5,000 miles a year.
I don't agree with two wheel drive is more fun, for a race car driver sure, but for 99.9% of the population, you can't tell. The C4S is 95% rear bias anyways. It's only 4WD when needed, meaning when it's time to save your @ss. In NYC, it's probably good to have 4WD, plus it's 44mm wider, looks better, more curves.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:37 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Neither . If you have to ask it sounds likle you are compromising .
17 percent isn't so great . The car is two years old .
Also why are there only three years of warranty ? Was the car "punched" by a dealership as a demo ?

I would not buy either . At this price level if it's not perfect .. best to walk and have no car.,

Old 05-16-2011, 09:42 PM
onewinwon is infamous around these parts
#3 buy the turbo

Old 05-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Neither . If you have to ask it sounds likle you are compromising .
17 percent isn't so great . The car is two years old .
Also why are there only three years of warranty ? Was the car "punched" by a dealership as a demo ?
I'd have to agree with Larry about the 17% being only a mediocre discount for a 2010. That means they're only giving you 7% extra over the C2 deal - and the car, even though superlow miles, is still used. With only 50mi on the clock, I have to wonder the same - did they just count it as a "sale" last year and now are trying to recoup their loss by whacking the new potential buyer (you) with an unreasonably high price?

But then again, on the flip side, it does seem like the used 997 market is even higher priced now than it was last year... Hm I see also that they're giving you $2k more for your trade - I guess that factors in too. But then they should offer you the same amount on your trade even if you go for the C2!!

Old 05-16-2011, 10:43 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Scoper
I'd have to agree with Larry about the 17% being only a mediocre discount for a 2010. That means they're only giving you 7% extra over the C2 deal - and the car, even though superlow miles, is still used. With only 50mi on the clock, I have to wonder the same - did they just count it as a "sale" last year and now are trying to recoup their loss by whacking the new potential buyer (you) with an unreasonably high price?

But then again, on the flip side, it does seem like the used 997 market is even higher priced now than it was last year... Hm I see also that they're giving you $2k more for your trade - I guess that factors in too. But then they should offer you the same amount on your trade even if you go for the C2!!
Yep.

A few questions are -
1) is the 2K over on the trade and the 17 percent off the result of a car sitting on an indepent lot rather than an authorized dealership .

and

2) If so why is a 50 mile car with an indy

and

3) if not .. why did it sit at an authorized dealership for two years with customers looking at it and saying "no thanks".

Old 05-17-2011, 05:45 AM
Answers to your questions...

1) No, it's an an authorized dealership
3) Good question, I'll ask today

I'm happy with their trade in appraisal, all the other dealerships offered me $2K less (just like the C2 dealer). However, if 17% off a 2010 is not good, what should I aim for? I think the market is quite tight nowadays, certainly compared to two years ago.

Also, what is a reasonable discount on a 2011? I thought 10% was ok, no?

Thanks

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Yep.

A few questions are -
1) is the 2K over on the trade and the 17 percent off the result of a car sitting on an indepent lot rather than an authorized dealership .

and

2) If so why is a 50 mile car with an indy

and

3) if not .. why did it sit at an authorized dealership for two years with customers looking at it and saying "no thanks".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying advice needed