997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PCM clock question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:43 AM
JT997 is infamous around these parts
PCM clock question

I have been having a problem with my clock in my 997. It seems that every few weeks I find myself having to reset it, because it slowly falls behind. It seems like it falls behind by about 3 or 4 minutes every few weeks. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a software fix needed? all other PCM functions seem to be working just fine.

Thanks for any help.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Vladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by JT997
I have been having a problem with my clock in my 997. It seems that every few weeks I find myself having to reset it, because it slowly falls behind. It seems like it falls behind by about 3 or 4 minutes every few weeks. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a software fix needed? all other PCM functions seem to be working just fine.

Thanks for any help.
Same here

Old 05-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Matt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud of
I think you will find that a lot of the earlier 997 (PCM 2.1) have this issue. I have it in my '06. I think I know what causes it. I have observed that when my car sits over the winter the clock is not off by very much, maybe a couple of minutes over three+ months. But when I use the car it is off quicker, weekly. I believe it happens sometimes when the car is started. I have witnessed the clock moving back a minute every so often when I start the car.

Dealer says no fix... it's a PITA....

Old 05-18-2011, 10:09 AM
cesmorris has a spectacular aura aboutcesmorris has a spectacular aura aboutcesmorris has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
I think you will find that a lot of the earlier 997 (PCM 2.1) have this issue. I have it in my '06. I think I know what causes it. I have observed that when my car sits over the winter the clock is not off by very much, maybe a couple of minutes over three+ months. But when I use the car it is off quicker, weekly. I believe it happens sometimes when the car is started. I have witnessed the clock moving back a minute every so often when I start the car.

Dealer says no fix... it's a PITA....
This is my experience as well. The clock is off MORE when I am using the car more and seems to keep perfect time when I don't drive it but once a week.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:14 AM
JT997 is infamous around these parts
Well, that's frustrating. I drive mine almost every day, so I guess the clock will keep time traveling on its own. I guess we just have to deal with it. It doesn't bother me enough to just let it sit in the garage! lol

Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

Oh, and Vladm: Oh man, why did you sell that 94 Speedster?!!!

Old 05-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Its bizarre that such a great driving machine cannot just duplicate the accuracy of a $30 quartz digital watch. Nuts.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:55 PM
wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !
same here 3 minutes a week THAT"S WHY I SOLD IT!!! ... just kidding

Old 05-18-2011, 11:42 PM
p's pcar is infamous around these partsp's pcar is infamous around these parts
Time slows down the faster you go according to the theory of relativity.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:29 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by p's pcar
Time slows down the faster you go according to the theory of relativity.

just last week I was thinking about this yesterday...

Old 05-19-2011, 02:23 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
You do realize that if the clock quit working altogether it would be statisticlly more accurate than a clock that consistantly lost/gained a couple of minutes each day. The broken clock would be accurate twice a day @ 12 hour intervals -vs- a clock that is hardly every right. Quick! Break out the hammers!!

Old 05-19-2011, 02:45 PM
wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !

Old 05-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by PTParks
You do realize that if the clock quit working altogether it would be statisticlly more accurate than a clock that consistantly lost/gained a couple of minutes each day. The broken clock would be accurate twice a day @ 12 hour intervals -vs- a clock that is hardly every right. Quick! Break out the hammers!!

True, if accuracy is measured by how many times a day the clock is accurate.

If the measure of accuracy is the average deviation of the clock time from the correct time, that clock (stopped) would be highly inaccurate.