997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Replace Side Muffler Only???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 03:40 PM
echere88 is infamous around these parts
Replace Side Muffler Only???

Car is 997.2 C2S.

There are many reviews about replacing the center muffler with cross pipe and using stock side mufflers in the forum. I wonder if I can just replace stock side mufflers with Tubi or AWE and keep stock center muffler? What will be the effect comparing to stock system? Also, how will this setup compares to full exhaust system upgarde (replacing two sides and center with cross pipe)? Your thoughts.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:08 PM
OKB
OKB is infamous around these parts
look at the products awe and agency power offer, I think the best answer to getting a free- er flowing exhaust is to delete the center and replace the stock sides.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:35 AM
echere88 is infamous around these parts
Anyone?? Thanks.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:47 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Earlier models without the center muffler benefited from replacing the side mufflers for a better-than-stock sound and maybe a little gain in HP and TQ. However, I have been told that replacing the side mufflers on the newer models with the center muffler still in place do not get the full effect of the upgrade. I have installed a set of AWE crossover pipes in anticipation of either getting a set of side mufflers or just going with the Gundo Hack*. This mod alone added a little growl to my otherwise stock sounding '09. A vendor that sells stock mufflers that have been "Gundo'ed" told me that with the center muffler in place the hack had very little effect on the sound unlike with earlier models. If nothing else a set of crossover pipes weigh less than the center muffler and the installation is not that difficult.

*If you are not familiar with the Gundo Hack, it is simply a section of pipe, usually 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter, connecting the inlet and outlet pipes on a stock side muffler. According to many here, it sounds like the PSE setup without the weight/cost.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
I think what you'll find is that the center muffler does very little in terms of silencing. If your goal is to keep it a little quieter...you might be disappointed.

When you remove it, the difference in sound is only slightly louder. The real benefit comes from replacing the side mufflers. But if you replace those, you might as well replace the center so that you get the benefit of increased flow along with the sound. That's why we (Tubi) and most others sell the kit with both sides and the center bypass.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:35 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Check this sound out, super clean, and not loud. Plus the price is killer

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...a-p-82005.html