997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Seatbelt Tensioner Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 06:23 PM
bergx7 is infamous around these partsbergx7 is infamous around these parts
Seatbelt Tensioner Issue

My driver's side seatbelt doesn't always pull itself taut when I put it on. It is an on and off problem and quite aggravating (I have to reach over my shoulder and help feed the seatbelt into the mechanism to get it to hold). It seems to work when the seatbelt is tight against me (i.e. not pulled out very far) but if I lean forward to adjust something or reach out the window to pay a toll, when I sit back, the seatbelt just hangs there.

When I bought the car (February of this year, a used 2005 C2S with 14k miles), I noted this to the Service Advisor (didn't see it until post-purchase) and he informed me that the previous owner had often brought the car in for service with a CG Lock type device hanging from the seatbelt. The advisor thought that the CG Lock's weight may have stretched the tensioner spring. Unfortunately, they are not stepping up to the plate to pay for fixing this (needs a whole new seatbelt mechanism apparently, $450 or so with labor).

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it? (can I get one and install myself? Can I fix the stock unit?) or how to get the dealer to pay for something that, quite frankly, is a safety issue and should have been caught during their used car inspection? (though again, to be fair, if you just pull the seatbelt out barely enough to come across your chest and click in, you may not notice it. It is only when you lean forward with the seatbelt on).

TIA everyone!

Old 05-21-2011, 09:24 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
Seems to me that I've seen a thread that shows how to replace seat belt straps for the purpose of chancing colors... Look it up in the search mode. It had pics and instructions on how to do it... It looked like a job but if it means saving $450. it might be a good weekend project...

Old 05-21-2011, 09:34 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
Not sure if this is Kosher but I found what you're looking for on Rennlist.com the 997 car,
Several references to replacement and slow seatbelt return... Good Luck

Old 05-22-2011, 12:04 AM
bergx7 is infamous around these partsbergx7 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jakesdad
Not sure if this is Kosher but I found what you're looking for on Rennlist.com the 997 car,
Several references to replacement and slow seatbelt return... Good Luck

I tried searching there, not sure why I didn't come up with anything. Perhaps you could PM me? I don't think there is an issue with linking but...?

Old 05-22-2011, 08:52 AM
ecostellodo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jakesdad
Not sure if this is Kosher but I found what you're looking for on Rennlist.com the 997 car

You can post a link to the topic from rennlist if needed.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:38 AM
jbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nice
Seatbelt replacement was not bad.

I changed my seatbelts to red. took me 2.5 hours slowly to do both.

If you want black stock seat belts, i'll sell you mine.

Just PM me if you are interested in them.

-John

Old 05-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I have the same issue with my 09. Sometimes it works fine for a few weeks and then it will hang up.