997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Small nail. Big tire. What to do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 09:06 PM
96redLT4 is infamous around these parts96redLT4 is infamous around these parts
Small nail. Big tire. What to do?

Almost brand new P Zero Rossos on the back with a small appearing, maybe 1/4 inch flathead nail. Does not seem to be losing any air, probably sealed itself. Should you always take these out and do a patch if through and through or is it ok to leave alone? I remember when I replaced the old tires which were worn but not leaking noting a large nail on the inner middle tread and wondering how long it had been there. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I was able to wiggle it a little but was scared to remove it away from the tire store.
Jim

Old 05-21-2011, 09:25 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Almost brand new P Zero Rossos on the back with a small appearing, maybe 1/4 inch flathead nail. Does not seem to be losing any air, probably sealed itself. Should you always take these out and do a patch if through and through or is it ok to leave alone? I remember when I replaced the old tires which were worn but not leaking noting a large nail on the inner middle tread and wondering how long it had been there. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I was able to wiggle it a little but was scared to remove it away from the tire store.
Jim
Sometimes you get a surprise when you pull them out,you may find that it didn't go all the way through BUT if you decide to pull it.....do it in the parking lot of a tire shop,just to be safe!
BUT I would definitely pull it out rather than leave it there for a lengthy amount of time!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 05-21-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:49 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Medium patch?

Old 05-21-2011, 11:26 PM
caly is infamous around these parts
10 buck kit patch it,last all the way

Old 05-22-2011, 09:22 AM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Definitely wouldn't leave it....as stacy says, you could be lucky and it didn't go thru. Otherwise, patch it for commute speed, but I for one, would repalce before I patch on a performance car. Knowing you have a good set of tires at speed is the most important safety thing you can do.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:45 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
I had a LARGE screw in my rear tire last week, so I knew it needed to be repaired, if not replaced. I'd bring it to a tire shop, if not the dealer, to have them look at it, patch it properly and give you their long-term recommendation on whether a replacement tire is really needed.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:42 AM
96redLT4 is infamous around these parts96redLT4 is infamous around these parts
I think it is amazing how these 30 series 'sticky' tires pick up things. If one had to replace it each time at 400+ bucks a tire....yipe!
J

Old 05-22-2011, 12:13 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I think it is amazing how these 30 series 'sticky' tires pick up things. If one had to replace it each time at 400+ bucks a tire....yipe!
J
I have patched my tires numerous times with NO issues......even at higher speeds!
If it is done right,you are GOOD because like you IF I had to replace a tire every time I got a nail/screw in one....I would be B-R-O-K-E!

Stacy

Old 05-22-2011, 01:19 PM
tcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to behold
I would go to a reputable performance tire shop and have them put a patch (from the inside), I would not just plug it.

If you leave it there and it is a through and through, the piece that is inside could break and start shredding the tire when it rotates. That happened to me once...

HTH,

T.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Vancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the rough
Stacy,

I have to get a tire repaired, who would you recommend in the Vancouver area.

Thanks.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by tcouture
I would go to a reputable performance tire shop and have them put a patch (from the inside), I would not just plug it.

T.
AGREED...NEVER NEVER plug a high performance tire,always patch from the inside!

Originally Posted by Vancouver-BC
Stacy,

I have to get a tire repaired, who would you recommend in the Vancouver area.

Thanks.
Sending you a PM...

Stacy

Old 05-22-2011, 03:03 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Good to know that a good inside patch works....I may consider...could save me some $$$s. However, not completely sold yet

Old 05-22-2011, 08:49 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
I had the same thing - the dealership said that Porsche will not allow them to patch tires - so they recommended not one but two new tires (so the tread depth would match on the same axle)!!!

Went to a tire shop and they pulled out the nail only to find it did not puncture to the inside - still had to pay labor for dismount, mount, and re-balance but no big deal. I'll take $40 over $1400 any day.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:54 AM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
Over the years I've always used the plug kit to repair the tire. Never had a leak or other problem doing it this way... I also would be broke if I replaced a tire every time I picked up a piece of metal. As much force as it takes to get that plug in I can't imagine it ever coming out.. I do use an additional glue to wet down the plug...

Old 05-23-2011, 08:03 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jakesdad
Over the years I've always used the plug kit to repair the tire. Never had a leak or other problem doing it this way... I also would be broke if I replaced a tire every time I picked up a piece of metal. As much force as it takes to get that plug in I can't imagine it ever coming out.. I do use an additional glue to wet down the plug...
Do you track the car or otherwise drive at high speeds? When I lived in Germany I would never have a tire plugged. My Passat, without high performance tires, was driven regularly at 100 to 125 mph. For my Porsche, as I drive it mostly on country roads in the US, I would not hesitate to plug a tire.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Small nail. Big tire. What to do?