997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

07 997s clutch vibration - does it need replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:04 PM
broq911 is infamous around these parts
07 997s clutch vibration - does it need replacement?

Hi guys, new member, 1st post, new 911 owner. I recently purchased a used 07 C2S with 32k mi, I'm the 2nd owner. PPI initially indicated that clutch feels a little stiffer than normal. This was the only complaint I had as it takes a little effort with the clutch. Yesterday, I went for a nice backroad twisty driving here in norcal (hwy 34, 84, 1). The car is stock, but man I love this car (I've never had so much fun driving like that. not to mention it was pleasure seeing other Pcars out there) Now I know why there are so many 911 enthusiasts in forums like this. Anyway, while I was pulling to my garage on the way home I noticed the clutch pedal started vibrating on higher revs (1k+ RPM) and it sounds and feels like it'll stall if I don't give it more gas. I drove it again today and confirmed the vibration when clutch is engaged at higher speed/RPM.

Now I have a stiffer and vibrating clutch -does this sound like I'll need a clutch SOON? Can this be a flywheel issue. As fas as I know this is the original clutch.

I'd like to get some experienced opinions on what this symptom can be and how much am I looking at in clutch replacement (dealer vs indy). I'm the SF Bay Area (south bay) -anyone close by that I can talk to, local dealer/indy shop recommendations. My other option was to make this an excuse to upgrade the clutch and LWF -still weighing pros and cons based on other posts. Anyone local has done it -I'm interested in seeing/hearing the chatter noise discussion in person I've heard so much about.

Thank you again for the help

Old 05-22-2011, 09:20 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I never experienced what you have with the clutch vibration but i do have a friend who did . In fact his car was a Norcal car too . His was a C4S back in 07.
He described the exact same symptoms as yours . There are numerous threads on the topic (using the search) .

In his case after about two months of e mails plus having multiple opinions in his region I placed him in contact with my technicians over the phone . My thinking at the time is that his driving style had him noticing this but i was wrong .
The technicians here explained to me that his description was normal and they even started up a car in their shop and somehow showed him over the phone as they discussed it .

When they were finished .. it was explained to me that most people don't notice this vibration but the few who do .. it's frustrating. They also expressed that two cars do NOT have the vibration .. the Gt3 and the Turbo .

My friend did in fact trade his car in for a Turbo and there were no complaints of vibration.

I hope this helps.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:36 PM
thanks yrralis1 for the quick reply. Yes, I did read that post and your friend ended up selling his turbo too . I'll search around the forum for more info, but I'm 90% sure (note that 90) that the vibration wasn't there before yesterday. I'll probably call up some local dealerships tomorrow to get some pricing. I'll probably call or swing by Sharkwerks as well this week to get some idea on upgrade options.

Who was the technician you ended up referring to

Old 05-22-2011, 09:49 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by broq911
thanks yrralis1 for the quick reply. Yes, I did read that post and your friend ended up selling his turbo too . I'll search around the forum for more info, but I'm 90% sure (note that 90) that the vibration wasn't there before yesterday. I'll probably call up some local dealerships tomorrow to get some pricing. I'll probably call or swing by Sharkwerks as well this week to get some idea on upgrade options.

Who was the technician you ended up referring to
I placed him in contact over the phone with the guys out here in Fliorida . He had taken it to his dealership in Norcal and was still having issuues with it . His was a new car . He complained almost immediately and traded in the car with only 1300 miles on it .

I had two manual 997S cars . i never noticed or even heard of the vibration but after putting a lot of thought into it .. talking to him . and the techs out here .. i concluded that this must be normal and that my driving style didn't notice it. In fact .. even in his case he did have others test drive the car and it didn't bother them as much as him .

Old 05-22-2011, 11:03 PM
Jam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud of
I had the same issue, needed a new flywheel.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:27 AM
Yes, I did read that post and your friend ended up selling his turbo too
I tried to find that old post but couldn't.
Your car does have 32K miles .
Most of the time when the clutch is worn the complaint is that it's slipping (rather than vibrating) .

But either way .. getting your car to the shop and inspected by a technician is the best route .
Good luck.

Last edited by yrralis1; 05-23-2011 at 01:44 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:38 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jam996
what was the issue with flywheel? i have vibration on clutch pedal too when depressed at mid-high revs but there are no other side effects (yet) so i am reluctant to open it up yet. how did you problem progress? what were the symptoms?

Old 05-23-2011, 01:08 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
what were ur symptoms ?

i am getting a vibration when i am letting the clutch out for the 1st gear.. getting semi-high vibration if i don't give any gas.
now i usually blip the gas slightly before letting the clutch out.. the problem is less when the car has been driven for a while.

the dealer recommends a new clutch (but don't they always recommend that? lol) but i don't think the problem is with the clutch.. i don't have issues in any other gear and there is no slippage.

thx in adv

Old 05-24-2011, 07:06 PM
Jam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
what were ur symptoms ?

i am getting a vibration when i am letting the clutch out for the 1st gear.. getting semi-high vibration if i don't give any gas.
now i usually blip the gas slightly before letting the clutch out.. the problem is less when the car has been driven for a while.
exactly that. Clutch was fine at that time, no slipping. I continued driving it for about 1k miles, before changing the flywheel and clutch. But the problem was clearly the flywheel for the vibration. There are some thread on renntech and rennlist on this issue.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:09 PM
If you clutch is fine, and you having clutch vibration, I would suggest not to drive the car till you fix it, might damage the clutch and would need to be replaced too. But it is a good idea to do both at same time to save on labor.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:14 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
exactly that. Clutch was fine at that time, no slipping. I continued driving it for about 1k miles, before changing the flywheel and clutch. But the problem was clearly the flywheel for the vibration. There are some thread on renntech and rennlist on this issue.
If you clutch is fine, and you having clutch vibration, I would suggest not to drive the car till you fix it, might damage the clutch and would need to be replaced too. But it is a good idea to do both at same time to save on labor.
thx for the heads up !

i am gonna find out the cost for flywheel alone and flywheel/clutch combo.

not sure if i can avoid the desire to drive it tho..

i've been drving with that vibration for about a year and it hasn't gotten worse. (knock on wood)

Old 05-24-2011, 08:10 PM
I'll have mine scheduled to be checked out by a trusted mechanic this Thu. I went and test drove another 997 yesterday that recently had a clutch job done to compare. I might have been paranoid earlier, but the clutch is only slightly stiffer on mine, but the vibration is definitely an issue when I engage on higher RPMs. One dealer also mentioned the vibration can be caused by the hydraulic system.

I've called some local dealers here in the bay area and "clutch only" replacement ranges from $2000-$2600. Independent ones from $1475-$2000. Sharkwerks quoted me with the LWF upgrade with clutch replacement ($1000 LWF kit + $900 clutch + $980 labor = ~$2,880). I’m also considering this option, just want to hear this chatter noise first in person.

I can't speculate anymore on this clutch pedal vibration - I guess will find more on Thu.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:42 PM
finally had a problem this past wknd..

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...h-problem.html

basically, the clutch feels like the spring is broken.. and its hard to engage the 1st gear from a stop.

when i called the dealer/Indy/ etc.. the consensous seem to be that its the flywheel.. but they also recommend changing the clutch since the labor is the same.

any way the flywheel can be covered under CPO? it has 32k miles but the vibration was there from the beginning (15k)

Old 06-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Crazycarlitos, sorry to hear that. I'm not sure flywheel is covered under CPO - mine is out of warranty anyway so no use there . Do you track you car. My clutch vibration is when revved high and engaged.

I just dropped off mine today to a reputable Indy - he's suggesting to replace my flywheel as well, but he thinks mine is definitely clutch issue (just clutch replacement alone runs me about $1400 (+ $1000-$1250 for flywheel) including labor. I guess will find out more in a day or two. I'm still contemplating of either a lwfw or oem dual mass. I wish I can find one local here in norcal that has a lwfw preferrably a 997 so I can listen to this chatter noise.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:44 PM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
Hi, same issue here. A buzz of vibration through the clutch at mid RPM. The dealer says it is "normal" and they would not discuss it any further. One tech told me the fingers of the pressure plate get bent slightly and that they can't fix it. I though it was a crappy thing at the time, but that was 10K miles ago, and it hasn't broken yet!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 07 997s clutch vibration - does it need replacement?