997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.1 LED Tail Lights - Dectane

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:10 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Thanks man on the info

Old 08-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Need4Speed12 is infamous around these parts
Mine just came in today!! Can't what to get home from work and install them. Hope I dont run into any issues or else I will be back here asking for assistance, lolz...

Old 08-18-2011, 03:56 PM
bob/ft.worth is infamous around these parts
Need4speed: when did you order your lights?

Old 08-19-2011, 06:20 AM
Originally Posted by bob/ft.worth
Need4speed: when did you order your lights?
Order was placed on 08/08/11, received it on 08/17 but no one was home to sign it so had to tell my wife to go pick it up at the USPS.

Came right home and installed it. Took no more than 10mins to install. Looks beautiful!! Pictures coming soon!! Everyone should get it, lol..

Old 08-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by need4speed12
order was placed on 08/08/11, received it on 08/17 but no one was home to sign it so had to tell my wife to go pick it up at the usps.

Came right home and installed it. Took no more than 10mins to install. Looks beautiful!! :d pictures coming soon!! Everyone should get it, lol..
Heres one picture that I was able to take...

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 255
Size:  123.1 KB

Old 08-19-2011, 05:27 PM
coco0045 is infamous around these parts
How easy was these to install? I saw on the website video but didn't have a chance to see them yet. Is it truly plug n play?

Old 08-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by coco0045
How easy was these to install? I saw on the website video but didn't have a chance to see them yet. Is it truly plug n play?
I'm probably the number one DIY idiot on this forum, or on the planet. It doesn't help that any install advice is buried within the 30 pages of this thread. It did help that I've read it all, but I've followed along vs taking it in a few doses.

Anyway, when I went to put mine in, I decided to go with the center screw method, vs taking out the bracket. That worked just fine for me. But when I went to remove the wiring from the harness, I thought there was some hint that I read, and then forgot. I tried simply pulling it out, but that didn't seem to work. I wasn't sure where it came apart, and if there was a tab to depress or something. I fiddled with it for a while, took a quick futile look at this enormous thread, then tried again with a small flathead screwdriver. I used that to help wiggle it out, so I completed another step. Maybe a stronger guy could just rip the thing out, who knows.

Then I attached the new light, put it in, but it didn't seem to seat well. I screwed the fastner back in, but it still seemed funny on the far, pointy end. I recalled reading something about this, too. I took the other light out from the other side, paying close attention to the seating and fitment and I noticed that the top ridge goes along a track. I put the new lights in, paying mind to that track across the top ridge, secured the screws, and I'm done.

Since I have an early 06, I might have an issue with the rear fog, but I haven't used it yet in 15 months and 16k miles. If I do run into a problem, I'll instal the resistors, but for now, all is good. Sure, I should have tested it, and addressed it during the initial install, but that's not my style...

Hope that helps any fellow dunderheads. It would be nice to have an easier reference to the install tips for idiots.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by Jack667
I'm probably the number one DIY idiot on this forum, or on the planet. It doesn't help that any install advice is buried within the 30 pages of this thread. It did help that I've read it all, but I've followed along vs taking it in a few doses.

Anyway, when I went to put mine in, I decided to go with the center screw method, vs taking out the bracket. That worked just fine for me. But when I went to remove the wiring from the harness, I thought there was some hint that I read, and then forgot. I tried simply pulling it out, but that didn't seem to work. I wasn't sure where it came apart, and if there was a tab to depress or something. I fiddled with it for a while, took a quick futile look at this enormous thread, then tried again with a small flathead screwdriver. I used that to help wiggle it out, so I completed another step. Maybe a stronger guy could just rip the thing out, who knows.

Then I attached the new light, put it in, but it didn't seem to seat well. I screwed the fastner back in, but it still seemed funny on the far, pointy end. I recalled reading something about this, too. I took the other light out from the other side, paying close attention to the seating and fitment and I noticed that the top ridge goes along a track. I put the new lights in, paying mind to that track across the top ridge, secured the screws, and I'm done.

Since I have an early 06, I might have an issue with the rear fog, but I haven't used it yet in 15 months and 16k miles. If I do run into a problem, I'll instal the resistors, but for now, all is good. Sure, I should have tested it, and addressed it during the initial install, but that's not my style...

Hope that helps any fellow dunderheads. It would be nice to have an easier reference to the install tips for idiots.

Thank you Jack. Hopefully when it's time to install mine, I'll bypass your hardship and install it smoothly. I'm confused about the rear fog lights and resistor component. Will I have to install the resistor although I never use the rear fog, I'm just worried that one day I'm gonna forget and accidentally switch the rear fog on and blow my rear LED out.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:54 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
You won't blow your LED's, but you may get an error message. You will then need to replace your Dectane for the old one to erase the error message, followed by reinstalling the Dectane ones again, but this time with the resistor.

Thank you Jack. Hopefully when it's time to install mine, I'll bypass your hardship and install it smoothly. I'm confused about the rear fog lights and resistor component. Will I have to install the resistor although I never use the rear fog, I'm just worried that one day I'm gonna forget and accidentally switch the rear fog on and blow my rear LED out.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by 808c2s
You won't blow your LED's, but you may get an error message. You will then need to replace your Dectane for the old one to erase the error message, followed by reinstalling the Dectane ones again, but this time with the resistor.
Getting ready to pull the trigger on this on but had some more questions:
1. Why are people installing these Dectane leds without resistors? Is it that hard with them on? (sorry I read somewhere here but forgot the answer)
2. What's is the differences between the Dectane LED tail and the Rottech LED tail lights? I tried looking at them both and can't really tell the differences between the lights?
3. From what I see, the Dectane is twice as much as the Rottech is that right? Again, why? Better quality on the Dectanes?

Old 08-20-2011, 07:33 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Getting ready to pull the trigger on this on but had some more questions:
1. Why are people installing these Dectane leds without resistors? Is it that hard with them on? (sorry I read somewhere here but forgot the answer)
2. What's is the differences between the Dectane LED tail and the Rottech LED tail lights? I tried looking at them both and can't really tell the differences between the lights?
3. From what I see, the Dectane is twice as much as the Rottech is that right? Again, why? Better quality on the Dectanes?
1). Light assembly has resistors built in. Early model 997.1 may need the extra resistor box that comes with the lights
2). The differences are very visible - go back and find the pictures.
3). You have this backwards - do some more research/reading.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:55 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Agreed

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
1). Light assembly has resistors built in. Early model 997.1 may need the extra resistor box that comes with the lights

Old 08-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Agree, #2, Dectane looks more OEM than Rotec

Old 08-20-2011, 11:57 PM
I'm not sure but maybe I'm reading too much into it, but on carlightpro's order form it list the lights for $849 each (PDF file). While Ray at rottech listed it for $850 for the set. However, on carlightpro website it just said $849 (plus s/h). So is the Dectane $849 for the set or each? If it's for the set then it's an awesome price!

Old 08-21-2011, 01:36 AM
Take a look at the beginning of this thread, and you will find that most, if not all of us bought the Dectane from Orange Tuning in Germany for ~ $600 shipped. Cheaper than Rottec and much cheaper than carlightpro.

I'm not sure but maybe I'm reading too much into it, but on carlightpro's order form it list the lights for $849 each (PDF file). While Ray at rottech listed it for $850 for the set. However, on carlightpro website it just said $849 (plus s/h). So is the Dectane $849 for the set or each? If it's for the set then it's an awesome price!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 LED Tail Lights - Dectane