997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.1 LED Tail Lights - Dectane

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:42 PM
phily911 has a spectacular aura aboutphily911 has a spectacular aura aboutphily911 has a spectacular aura about
I have had my lights from DRC on for a few months, front and rear, zero issues to date.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:27 PM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
I've had mine for about a year or so now. Never a problem, but now I'm checking an error to check the right rear light. Bummer. I have been turning on the lights and then off and it clears, but I see this of getting worse.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RaidersR1
I've had mine for about a year or so now. Never a problem, but now I'm checking an error to check the right rear light. Bummer. I have been turning on the lights and then off and it clears, but I see this of getting worse.
Install the resistors that came with it. I had the same problem, installed the resistors and the error went away, haven't had any problems since.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:29 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
The resistors were already on the lights when I got them. Plug and play. Don't have a clue why I'm getting an error now. Not a DD, so the error happens sometimes when I start the car, sometimes after I start it, run it say to the store and restart it again. No set pattern. My front DRL's I get an error on the right front ONLY when I turn on the head lights. I do have the DRL's hack on my switch as well.

I have taken them apart and verified connections, used resistors, still get the error on that side only. Bummer.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:53 PM
Just a quick update. Took the right rear out, they are Depo's. When I hit the lock button on the remote the lights flash as normal. Rear back ups work as well. Turn signals work as well. The only light that isn't working is the red lights that are the running light and most importantly, the brake light.

Those lights don't always come on anymore. In looking at them, it's a little dirty in there, cleaned it out, but the amount of heat in that compartment is probably NOT good for the electronics in the light. DRC mentioned about the heat dissipation from the lights. The resistor is mounted to the back of the light with a screw. Upon inspection it's real hot. I would imagine that the heat from the engine, and the fact it's been over 100 degs here quite a bit lately, I'm thinking that running these lights in the extreme heat from the ambient temperature as well as the heat from the engine is causing the electronics to malfunction. Or at least in my case not allowing the running lights to turn on.

After the car has sat for about an hour or so, the lights are working again! I'm going to try and be patient with this until the summer is over and see how these lights go in the winter. Cooler temps will prove my point. I may just wait until the evening as well when the temps are much cooler and run the car and see what happens, but again...for just one set of lights to work and the other not work, and the other factors I have mentioned....I think that may be a solution to this failure rate on the lights.

Input from others?

Last edited by RaidersR1; 07-24-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:22 PM
Temps are cooler and lights are working great again. So the ambient temp as well as the engine heat causes the lights to malfunction. That sucks because replacements have gone up since I purchased mine.

Don't know if Depo's are the only ones with this problem. I hope there can be a cheap upgrade fix...but I doubt it.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:52 PM
SecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant future
The resistance of the resistor packs will vary slightly with temperature, they could be getting pushed out of range and throwing codes. If that's the case, it would happen for any make or model of lights.

If this is what's happening, you may have some luck by replacing the resistors with others of equal resistance but a higher load rating (wattage). It may also help to mount the resistors to a surface that can dissipate heat, like metal, but doing so may introduce other issues as well.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:17 AM
O31982 is infamous around these parts
has anyone contacted dectane lately? they are not responding to me

Old 07-23-2013, 07:36 AM
sirschwag is infamous around these parts
Raiders- did you install the additional resistor pack that plugs in (which isn't attached to the lights)?

Old 07-24-2013, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by sirschwag
Raiders- did you install the additional resistor pack that plugs in (which isn't attached to the lights)?
I didn't get extra resistors with the lights. They came as they are, plug and play and off I went. I must be missing something.....do tell please.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:07 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
I didn't get extra resistors with the lights. They came as they are, plug and play and off I went. I must be missing something.....do tell please.
Who was your vendor? At about 1:25 into this video you can see the small black box that is the resistor package that shipped with the lights.
http://carlightpro.com/2011/04/installation/

Last edited by jhbrennan; 07-24-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Who was your vendor? At about 1:25 into this video you can see the small black box that is the resistor package that shipped with the lights.
http://carlightpro.com/2011/04/installation/
Got them from Fish on eBay. I have that exact resistor pack, however mine are attached to the light and not loose like the video. I would think leaving them loose flopping around is not good for the resistors....but I could be wrong. I would think the inside of the compartment would be scuffed up with that thing banging around. If I need another set of resistors, please advise what they are. Only 1 of my lights is having this problem. Drivers side.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:28 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Got them from Fish on eBay. I have that exact resistor pack, however mine are attached to the light and not loose like the video. I would think leaving them loose flopping around is not good for the resistors....but I could be wrong. I would think the inside of the compartment would be scuffed up with that thing banging around. If I need another set of resistors, please advise what they are. Only 1 of my lights is having this problem. Drivers side.
Switch the resistor boxes from good side to bad side and
see what that does.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by jhbrennan

Switch the resistor boxes from good side to bad side and
see what that does.
Yeah....I can try that, but I believe the resistors are wired into the lights and there wasn't a plug to remove....but let me check.

Thanks

Old 07-24-2013, 12:41 PM
Yeah....I can try that, but I believe the resistors are wired into the lights and there wasn't a plug to remove....but let me check.

Thanks
Unless your's are different than most others, the resistor box is plugged into a pigtail coming out of the light fixture so it can be unplugged.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 LED Tail Lights - Dectane