997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Black Bra

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:15 AM
NYCEnglish is infamous around these parts
Black Bra

Hi all,

After the recent "How bad is black" thread, I'm pausing a little on going for a black 997. I like my cars to look good and I'm pretty **** about scratches etc.

So here's my question:

How would adding a clear bra to a black car look? Would it have hide/stop scratches/swirlies?

I'm looking for some real life feedback from those who have such a set up.

Thanks everyone.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:39 AM
nyseal has a spectacular aura aboutnyseal has a spectacular aura aboutnyseal has a spectacular aura about
it will stop chipping , it is almost invisible however if ur car is ever compounded and it is not done properly it will look like u have a long scratch running along the edge of the clear bra.(hope u understood)mine has been on for 3 years and i have no discoloration ,as i have heard some turn yellow.if i had to say my feed back would be positive no chips on my paint to this date.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Thanks - yes, I think I know what you mean regarding the scratch.

Does the bra hide/reduce the swirlies?

Would you say black is a good color for a bra?

Thanks again.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:52 AM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Clear Bra is the way to go....particularly on darker colors....white can show a little yellowing. I am a big fan of the product. Seapar has even put a windshield film on that saved his windshield....hopefully he will post his experience with that produce. Definitly gow with the clear Bra....they also cover all of the lights.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Great, thanks lowpue.

Originally Posted by lowpue
Clear Bra is the way to go....particularly on darker colors....white can show a little yellowing. I am a big fan of the product. Seapar has even put a windshield film on that saved his windshield....hopefully he will post his experience with that produce. Definitly gow with the clear Bra....they also cover all of the lights.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:46 AM
ncamillo is infamous around these parts
I have a venture shield full clear bra installed on my car. Black is close to the hardest color to install a clear bra on as the lines can easily show if not installed or tucked in correctly. Mine is perfect and no one can tell I have a clear bra on. Protects from dust scratches and minor nicks on the road. My installer showed me a quick trick to easily rid of and scratches from normal wear and tear with a heat gun. Downside? If I want to change the paint on my car! haha

Old 05-26-2011, 08:34 AM
PFW_06C4S is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ncamillo
I have a venture shield full clear bra installed on my car. Black is close to the hardest color to install a clear bra on as the lines can easily show if not installed or tucked in correctly. Mine is perfect and no one can tell I have a clear bra on. Protects from dust scratches and minor nicks on the road. My installer showed me a quick trick to easily rid of and scratches from normal wear and tear with a heat gun. Downside? If I want to change the paint on my car! haha
How do you get rid of the scratches? I have a few on one side and want to give that a try.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:43 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by NYCEnglish

Thanks again.
If you drive on the highway or track, you want a clear bra on the front of a black car - I have had several without and it was a bummer after a few years - little chips everywhere.

Also, I'd reckon to have the car look great, the bra has to be replaced every 3-4 years - unless this heat-gun trick I'm waiting to hear about works well. They just seem to get beat up looking after a while, but rather that than the paint.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Quantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond reputeQuantum has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NYCEnglish

Thanks again.
I had a black 997 Turbo that I had clear bra'd by these guys www.ClearBraNJ.com, its pretty incredible how transparent the film is. Certain angles you couldn't even see it. Def make it a point to contact them for a quote.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:02 AM
Thanks Quantum

Originally Posted by Quantum
I had a black 997 Turbo that I had clear bra'd by these guys www.ClearBraNJ.com, its pretty incredible how transparent the film is. Certain angles you couldn't even see it. Def make it a point to contact them for a quote.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:04 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
I did this on my black TT - not sure if there is a local Xpel installer near you but I had this done in San Antonio. Here's link to what they did to a GT2 - mine is similar - full fender and bumper in Ultimate clear and full hood in Stealth matte. Looks great in addition to the protection provided.

http://www.xpel.com/installations/viewrelease.asp?id=30

Old 05-29-2011, 08:12 PM
ncamillo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PFW_06C4S
How do you get rid of the scratches? I have a few on one side and want to give that a try.
heat gun, distance, and patience. otherwise the heat will melt the bra right off so be careful. If done perfectly, the small scratches melt away

Old 05-30-2011, 08:48 AM
raspritz is infamous around these partsraspritz is infamous around these parts
Definitely go with the clear bra. I washed my 997 yesterday and noticed a big "smudge" in the clear bra on the nose, where somebody had obviously "touched" me (maybe in a parking lot?). The clear bra obviously did its job there; better a smudge on the clear bra than a big scrape in the paint!