997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Carrera or Carrera S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:56 PM
Luciddaydream is infamous around these parts
Carrera or Carrera S?

Hey guys

I realize the S is better, and the consensus will probably be to spring for the S.. since you guys are enthusiasts.

But I kind of want to learn more about the two.

You see, I can afford either car, but I kind of LIKE (believe it or not) the slightly lower-key look for the regular Carrera.

I also like that its priced lower.

And its much easier to find.

You see, I currently drive a 325i BMW and I love it, I am just sick of it and want something more. Will a regular carrera do justice for me? Or will even I be let down by not getting the S?

Does the S handle differently?

I also may like that the regular carrera might be quieter.. is it?

PS -- Im looking at 2005-2006 models, not the new 997s

Old 05-25-2011, 11:02 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
The base 997 is a nice car but the "S" has more Hp , nice brakes , and the price gap isn't too much considering the extra perks . The stock exhaust sound is about equal .

Old 05-25-2011, 11:11 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
While there is nothing wrong with the base model, I believe in the years you're considering there were more 'S''s sold than base. And since you can afford the extra premium, get the 'S', you won't be disappointed.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:12 PM
Luciddaydream is infamous around these parts
I just have a hard time seeing the S's for sale. I did find one for 46k, but the base I am looking at is 40, and I am thinking of just grabbing the base.

I guess my question is -- coming from a small BMW, will i likely be impressed just fine with the base?

Old 05-25-2011, 11:16 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Initially you will be impressed with the base. The question is down the road will you want more? Are you a buy and hold guy or get a new car every few years? If the latter then a base will probably suffice for now. But if you hold onto your cars a long time better to get too much car now than regret not getting enough down the road IMO.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:19 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
Yes. If you are content with 325i and you didn't spring for 328i/330i or lusted over an M3, then a base Carrera would be fine and quite a step up from the 325i!

As long as you know yourself not to have that constant need for something better a base model will make you happy. Hell, just before I got my 997S I drove my friends 996C4 and loved it... and we all know how much slower those guys are than 997C2.

325i to 997C2 is definetely an upgrade in both handling, power, and speed.

Originally Posted by Luciddaydream
I just have a hard time seeing the S's for sale. I did find one for 46k, but the base I am looking at is 40, and I am thinking of just grabbing the base.

I guess my question is -- coming from a small BMW, will i likely be impressed just fine with the base?

Old 05-25-2011, 11:20 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Luciddaydream

Coming out of a 325i the base 997 will feel much faster and agile . Yet the novelty of that Hp erodes as one becomes accustomed to it . At that point he might see an 'S" and wonder what if . I don't see this happening with a base if one buys the "S'.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:24 PM
In addition, if you can swing a 997.2 base that would be better than a .1S in terms of both resale and newer technology feel.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:30 PM
paddyh is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Coming out of a 325i the base 997 will feel much faster and agile . Yet the novelty of that Hp erodes as one becomes accustomed to it . At that point he might see an 'S" and wonder what if . I don't see this happening with a base if one buys the "S'.
After the "S", there is always the Turbo to keep that "chasing the dream" feeling.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:47 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
I already want a Turbo... and it's only been a month

Damn you... the constant need for greater power and speed. Damn you!

Originally Posted by paddyh
After the "S", there is always the Turbo to keep that "chasing the dream" feeling.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by paddyh
Beyond the Turbo is having multiple Porsches .

Old 05-26-2011, 12:25 AM
Vancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the rough
Damn, need to get a bigger garage. I've had a 2007 C2 for the last couple of months and haven't grown tired of it. As many of the others have indicated in other posts, if you don't plan on tracking your car the advantages of the S won't be fully realized.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:46 AM
Sharkys is infamous around these parts
I've had my 997.1 C2S for approx 9 mos. I find myself wanting a 993 for a more visceral experience. But I also want more power than the 997. The 997.2 PDK, I would like to drive, but if the experience is anything like it has been with C2S, I'd end up wanting more power like the Turbo. I tend to appreciate the NA cars, but I understand a few mods will virtually eliminate the Turbo lag on the 997.1 and also improve the handling characteristics of the heavier Turbo. I wouldn't rush a decision, rather drive as many different models as you can and then decide. I think multiple Porsches will solve my dilemma.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:58 AM
tcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to behold
If it is your first p-car, and you do not know yet if you can live with a 911, I say go with the base model.

It is a lower entry price and easier to find, I think sellers are also more willing to deal.

If you really like it, you can go to a few PCA events and you will see a lot of cars and options and maybe you can get a few rides. You can then swap the base for something different (if you want) with very little impact on your wallet.

The S has more HP, better brakes, and is easier to service in some ways. These are all things that are better used on the track - which increase the possibility that a used one has been run harder... In everyday driving, honestly, who cares about and extra few HP's over 300...

If you do not know what you will do with it yet, base is the safest choice IMHO.

T.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:04 AM
jacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nice
Given the absurd premiums charged by the manufacturer for every little thing, I would advise buying a base model as inexpensively as you can, minimally optioned, then enjoy being Dr. Frankenstein (Like Cattman...)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carrera or Carrera S?