997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

GT3 throttle body retrofit to 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by DirtyVegas
I see plenty of GT3 TBs for sale, no X51. In addition it sounds like there has to be fabrication done to some parts in order to make X51 work. GT3 sounds plug and play.

The GT3 TB won't be plug and play as you will still have an overlap of material I believe as the port openings of the OEM plenum will be smaller than the TB. That is why a lot of people who run the GT3 TB end up running a modified IPD Plenum to make the GT3 TB work, same can be done for the larger X51 TB.

I have been out of the 997 scene for about a year now as I am playing with my 2011 E92 M3 ZCP car. From all the research I did most of the gains that are to be had are from the intake manifold and TB increase. As the cams are stock for the X51 cars and the heads just have a slightly stiffer exhaust valve spring (for the 7400rpm) and some bowl work with a little runner clean up. The stock 997.1S heads still have to flow pretty darn good as the car is still making 93hp/litre while not pushing rpm to the stratosphere ala M3 (8400rpm) and GT3.

Dave

Old 05-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
The GT3 TB won't be plug and play as you will still have an overlap of material I believe as the port openings of the OEM plenum will be smaller than the TB. That is why a lot of people who run the GT3 TB end up running a modified IPD Plenum to make the GT3 TB work, same can be done for the larger X51 TB.

I have been out of the 997 scene for about a year now as I am playing with my 2011 E92 M3 ZCP car. From all the research I did most of the gains that are to be had are from the intake manifold and TB increase. As the cams are stock for the X51 cars and the heads just have a slightly stiffer exhaust valve spring (for the 7400rpm) and some bowl work with a little runner clean up. The stock 997.1S heads still have to flow pretty darn good as the car is still making 93hp/litre while not pushing rpm to the stratosphere ala M3 (8400rpm) and GT3.

Dave
Thanks for the info Dave! Any links or DYI manuals for the GT3 TB to OEM plenum? Is one better than the other (GT3 vs X51)? Can you simply buy a GT3 or X51 plenum to make things easier? From your research, is an ECU tune really necessary or will the computer adjust itself?

Thanks

Old 05-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Gibbo205 is a jewel in the roughGibbo205 is a jewel in the roughGibbo205 is a jewel in the rough

Dave

So can I just not get a GT3 TB and fit it to my 997S? What other bits are needed to make it fit or need modifying?

Old 05-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Found this post on the turbo site. Interesting reading.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...y-upgrade.html

Old 05-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Here's one from the 997 forum.

" I put the IPD plenum and GT3 throttle body on my CS last week end. I previously did the GIAC ECU software upgrade, EVO cold air intake and de-snorkled it. I bought the IPD racing plenum with a GT3 throttle body from Vivid Racing.I did the mod by myself, it was fun. Followed the step by step instruction plenum install from IPD , not complicated if you take your time and follow the instructions.
They should put a warning for nuts like me for the computer adaptation period to the mod. I kind of tried the power gain out of the gate, the computer didn't know what the heck to do with this air increase from the intake. At first the car was stalling at the light. Just shutting off as soon I took my feet of the gas and depress the clutch in. It was idling rough from 500 to 1200 up and down. The yellow engine light came on. Re-opened the engine compartment check everything and found nothing wrong. I restarted the car, was idling perfectly at 750. The engine light was still on. I went for second test drive, the car ran amazingly idle power an all.I went to my friend garage on Monday, he has the unit to check and reset the computer. They were misfiring code & mass air flow code. He erased them and reset the light. The car runs great and the light stayed off.
I have done first the GIAC ECU upgrade at Champion Motorsport, then put the cold air intake and de-snorkeled the intake. With each one on there own the power gain were not bad, together you could feel greater HP improvement. You really can feel the power gain out of this mod, the engine sounds great when you accelerate over 4000 rpm it is just awesome, now it is starting to sound like a real sport car, there is no sound level difference at cruising speed from the stock plenum. It even changed the stock exhaust tone. If you drive normally there is no increase in consumption. If you use the power it will go down. Like I say if you want to play expect to pay. My gas consumption will be as bad as I want it to be. Drove the car for over 200 miles since and the car runs perfect. If this time of mod is up your alley I give it 2 tums up. Special thanks to Dan at Vivid Racing.
J-P
R
Attached Thumbnails

Old 05-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Here's one from the 98 forum.

" I put the IPD plenum and GT3 throttle body on my CS last week end. I previously did the GIAC ECU software upgrade, EVO cold air intake and de-snorkled it. I bought the IPD racing plenum with a GT3 throttle body from Vivid Racing.I did the mod by myself, it was fun. Followed the step by step instruction plenum install from IPD , not complicated if you take your time and follow the instructions.
They should put a warning for nuts like me for the computer adaptation period to the mod. I kind of tried the power gain out of the gate, the computer didn't know what the heck to do with this air increase from the intake. At first the car was stalling at the light. Just shutting off as soon I took my feet of the gas and depress the clutch in. It was idling rough from 500 to 1200 up and down. The yellow engine light came on. Re-opened the engine compartment check everything and found nothing wrong. I restarted the car, was idling perfectly at 750. The engine light was still on. I went for second test drive, the car ran amazingly idle power an all.I went to my friend garage on Monday, he has the unit to check and reset the computer. They were misfiring code & mass air flow code. He erased them and reset the light. The car runs great and the light stayed off.
I have done first the GIAC ECU upgrade at Champion Motorsport, then put the cold air intake and de-snorkeled the intake. With each one on there own the power gain were not bad, together you could feel greater HP improvement. You really can feel the power gain out of this mod, the engine sounds great when you accelerate over 4000 rpm it is just awesome, now it is starting to sound like a real sport car, there is no sound level difference at cruising speed from the stock plenum. It even changed the stock exhaust tone. If you drive normally there is no increase in consumption. If you use the power it will go down. Like I say if you want to play expect to pay. My gas consumption will be as bad as I want it to be. Drove the car for over 200 miles since and the car runs perfect. If this time of mod is up your alley I give it 2 tums up. Special thanks to Dan at Vivid Racing.
J-P
R
Attached Thumbnails

Old 05-27-2011, 06:07 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
if you do not go with the IPD and just the GT3 TB, what "silicon reducers" are required- anyone have a link or part reference?

Old 05-29-2011, 08:52 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Just finished looking at my engine...looks like the engine will need to be dropped to install the intake manifolds.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:33 PM

Old 05-31-2011, 03:29 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
John, you can install the intake manifold without dropping the engine. I talked to quite a few techs who swear they have done it without dropping the motor. However, they also said it isn't the smart way to do it and that dropping the motor is the most cost effective way of doing it.

Dave

Old 06-01-2011, 12:09 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
I would be willing to try this if there is a better chance than not that it is doable.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:37 PM
John, you can install the intake manifold without dropping the engine. I talked to quite a few techs who swear they have done it without dropping the motor. However, they also said it isn't the smart way to do it and that dropping the motor is the most cost effective way of doing it.

Dave
I was looking at the engine bay yesterday and even if you do take the rear mounts/supports off and let the engine hang down, it would still be a huge PITA.
How long does it take an experienced tech to drop the engine?

Old 06-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
An experienced tech can do it in one hour, if they want to.
However, they tend to go slow, so you'll probably be charged three hours of labor.
CATTMAN

Old 06-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Cattman
An experienced tech can do it in one hour, if they want to.
However, they tend to go slow, so you'll probably be charged three hours of labor.
CATTMAN
Agreed, I was told about 1.5 hrs.to drop the engine...

Dave

Old 06-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Banned
IPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond reputeIPD Greg has a reputation beyond repute
997.1 IPD Plenum with 82mm TB

This topic has been discussed at great length here at IPD.

As always, we perform 3 tests on 3 separate same model “bone stock” cars to evaluate all IPD Plenum applications. This provides a accurate gauge of performance gains and validates our products as being an after-market performance part worthy of being installed on a Porsche.

This being said, our testing of “modded” Porsche’s isn’t nearly as extensive and doesn’t provide an “apples to apples” comparisons since every modded car is very unique with it’s own variety of mods and running condition.

But the bottom-line is that the patented design of the IPD Plenums is what delivers the bulk of the power and torque. Combining the IPD Plenum with a larger TB has yielded minimal gains on bone stock naturally aspirated Porsches but does deliver improved gains with more heavily modded Porsches.

Our “Competition” series Plenums are specifically designed to work with cars equipped with high quality / high flow exhausts whether is be a kat-back or complete system. Without the high flow exhaust the extra $350 for the TB isn’t really a worthwhile investment.

Now our most popular N/A Plenum applications is without a doubt the 987.1 Cayman / Boxster 82mm Competition Plenum. This application upgrades the factory 74mm TB to the largest GT3 82mm TB. But definitely requires a quality kat-back system to optimize the larger TB. They go together like peanut butter and jelly.

We are currently in the process of developing a brand new version of a 997.1 82mm “Competition” Plenum. This should be available in the next month or two. As always we would like to perform our tests with a couple of seasoned and well respected 6 Speed members who reside in the Southern California area, preferably in Orange County. Unlike so many other manufactuers, we ALWAYS prefer the customer to be present during all tests so they can provide an unbiased and objective evaluation of the Plenum to the 6 Speed community at large.

It doesn’t matter if the volunteered Porsches are equipped with IPD Plenums or not. We will test both 74mm and 82mm versions and post our findings for all to see. Please drop us an e-mail or give us a ring to RSVP. We look forward to sharing our findings and shedding some light on this on-going subject.

Cheers,
IPD Greg

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 throttle body retrofit to 997