997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Major service and CPO?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 01:43 PM
bogart101 is just really nicebogart101 is just really nicebogart101 is just really nicebogart101 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Jack667
This is the right answer!

When I bought my CPO car, it was 4 years old and had 12k miles on it. I think they wither did the 4 year, or the 20k service, prior to selling it to me, as a requirement of the CPO process - AFAIK.

The dealership where I bought my car did it, and I'm fairly certain that they didn't do anything extra that they didn't have to do, per the CPO process.

Besides the paperwork, contact the salesman and the service manager at the dealership where you bought it - assuming that's a different dealership than where you're taking your car now. They should be able to give you additional detail, or help you sort through the paperwork.

With all that said, you're probably due for a 1 year service. I just had that done last month. I had mine done early as I'm putting DD miles on my car (13k/year)
Thanks guys,
thats the direction I was looking for. I checked the paperwork and it appears they did the 2 yr service and brake flush, new front brake pads and 2 new front tires.

I am pleased the 2 yr service was done but still curious why the 4 yr wasnt done.

Ill call the salesman tomorrow.

Thanks for the assistance....as usual!

Old 05-30-2011, 03:07 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I checked the paperwork and it appears they did the 2 yr service and brake flush, new front brake pads and 2 new front tires.

I am pleased the 2 yr service was done but still curious why the 4 yr wasnt done.

Ill call the salesman tomorrow.
The car is 4 years old . A '2 year service" was two yeras ago. In fact you have the car 10 months so its almost 5 years old .

The saleman in the other state was done with you 10 months ago when he sold you the car .
It sounds like you want to hear .. that its ok not to do the service .

why even ask then ?

Old 05-30-2011, 04:30 PM
bogart101 is just really nicebogart101 is just really nicebogart101 is just really nicebogart101 is just really nice
Originally Posted by yrralis1
The car is 4 years old . A '2 year service" was two yeras ago. In fact you have the car 10 months so its almost 5 years old .

The saleman in the other state was done with you 10 months ago when he sold you the car .
It sounds like you want to hear .. that its ok not to do the service .

why even ask then ?
yyralis...you miss my point entirely...I am happy to do the service and I WILL do the service. This is not an issue of trying to find a way out of it. I am very particular about my cars and typically do everything that needs to be done and err on the side of caution. I'd always rather do more than less.

Here is my point: The car was due for a 4 yr service when I purchased it in July of last year. Why would the dealer not have done the appropriate service.....most importantly change the plugs! If they had done it would only be due for a 1 year service.

That is my issue. Regardless of who is paying for it, Im doing the service, I am contacting the dealer who sold it to me to hear if their explanation holds water as to why it wasnt done.

Not trying to start a war with anyone....especially the forum

Thanks for all of your opinions.

Last edited by bogart101; 05-30-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:10 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
The car was due for a 4 yr service when I purchased it in July of last year. Why would the dealer not have done the appropriate service.....most importantly change the plugs! If they had done it would only be due for a 1 year service.

That is my issue.
They didn't do it because it's a gray enough of an area that it passed certification standrards well enough to put their name on it and good eniugh for you to buy it .. without having to do it .

But now .. almost a year and 2K miles later a new shop is saying you have to do it.
Do you really have to do it ? Who knows ? The car still runs and has no problems and it still may very well be that same gray area .

The only reasion why i am suggesting to do it is :
a)because it can't hurt
and
b) it's your foot in the door to break bread with a new shop (they get to know you and your car and you get to see how they work ) . It's good to find these things out when the car has no problems.

Last edited by yrralis1; 05-30-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
They didn't do it because it's a gray enough of an area that it passed certification standrards well enough to put their name on it and good eniugh for you to buy it .. without having to do it .

But now .. almost a year and 2K miles later a new shop is saying you have to do it.
Do you really have to do it ? Who knows ? The car still runs and has no problems and it still may very well be that same gray area .

The only reasion why i am suggesting to do it is :
a)because it can't hurt
and
b) it's your foot in the door to break bread with a new shop (they get to know you and your car and you get to see how they work ) . It's good to find these things out when the car has no problems.
Thx yrallis..

I agree with you on both points. I will be doing the service shortly..

Thanks again for the assistance.