997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Low Oil Pressure?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 08:02 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I honestly don't put much stock in the oil pressure gauge. As you will see in your '87 3.2, it bounces around so much it's not very valuable. Just make sure it doesn't suddenly hit 0 and stay there. In your '87 that'll be the only clue you get before your engine seized up. In the 997, you'll get a dashboard warning if you lose pressure, in addition to that gauge hitting 0.

If you really want accurate oil pressure readings, you can get an aftermarket gauge and sending unit for a couple hundred bucks.
CATTMAN

Old 05-19-2012, 02:55 AM
cayenne444 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by w00zie
Wondering if i've got an issue or not...looking for 2nd, 3rd & 4th opinions ...

What I'm used to;

Oil temp 150-200, Oil Pressure 3+ at idle, 5 at full throttle
Oil temp 200, Oil Pressure 1 at idle, 4-5 at full throttle

Lately

Oil temp 150-200, Oil Pressure 3 at idle, 5 at full throttle
Oil temp 200-225, Oil Pressure 0.75 at idle, 4-4.75 at full throttle

That said, I find my oil temp has been a bit higher than usual but nothing too concerning, but for the past month i've noticed my pressure dipping below 1 which in all my car i've never seen. It doesn't bounce, just settles at 0.75

I had the oil sending unit replaced about a year ago, and just had an oil change 2 weeks ago

Also have 3rd radiator but that hasn't made any difference in oil temp (but didn't really expect it to in day to day driving). I did buy an LN Engineering 160deg thermostat, which will be in this week

Car now has 51,000 miles on it .....I've been driving it for 43,000 of those miles and never had this issue, my 993 had 65,000 miles and was perfect

No lack of power, no issues driving, no leaks

Am i being too picky over .25 bar?

thanks!
I have the same issue and my Porsche is identical to yours
997 2006 c4s
Sliver
88000km
When cold start @ idle 3 bar
When warm @ idle .75 bar
@ 5000 rpm 3.5 bar

I took it to a Porsche mechanic and he said its normal but am little worry !!

Any update about yours ,

Last edited by cayenne444; 05-19-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Always disappointed when some when starts a seemingly relevant thread, picks what pass for our brains, then does not follow up with the findings/update. I guess we'll never know unless you PM him. If you do ask about the Lo-Temp thermostat

Old 05-19-2012, 04:38 PM
I took it to someone he used to work with Porsche dealer as the supervise of the maintenance for more then 15 years he now has his Own workshop ..

He advice me to change the oil pump , BTW he didn't let me drive the car
He said the pump could seize any time , so I left the car there

Old 05-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cayenne444
I took it to someone he used to work with Porsche dealer as the supervise of the maintenance for more then 15 years he now has his Own workshop ..

He advice me to change the oil pump , BTW he didn't let me drive the car
He said the pump could seize any time , so I left the car there
Thanks for sharing that huge piece of information. Lets see how those readings are after surgery

Old 05-19-2012, 07:58 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
I once questioned a pressure reading on a test ride and the salemen told me that those gauges are far from exact and if the pressure was too low I d get a warning light.... I m not sure I buy that answer but just a FYI.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by cerbomark
I once questioned a pressure reading on a test ride and the salemen told me that those gauges are far from exact and if the pressure was too low I d get a warning light.... I m not sure I buy that answer but just a FYI.
Not sure I buy that either. There seems a general pattern: (Off the top of my head) Cold start 5, idle 1.5-3, hot idle 1+, 3-4k and up while accelerating approaching 5. No decimal points for sure but should be fairly consistent, especially for a given car. if there is a change it warrants looking into in my opinion. I wouldn't trash the oil pressure gauge. Now water temps on the other hand...

Old 05-20-2012, 06:25 AM
I just received a call (( out of surgery ))
I will go and check , hope to see a good result !!!

Old 05-20-2012, 06:39 AM
spoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the rough
Interested to hear about how this turns out and the associated cost to change the pump.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Am so disappointed,
He found metals debris inside the oil pump and it restrict the oil flow that why I had low oil pressure , but the question now from where it came ??
He is suspecting from the crankshaft bearings !!!

I will update u in 2 days

Old 05-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Am so disappointed,
He found metals debris inside the oil pump and it restrict the oil flow that why I had low oil pressure , but the question now from where it came ??
He is suspecting from the crankshaft bearings !!!

I will update u in 2 days
IMS? If so, if there was metal laying around I guess it's better to find out now than after it grenades.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
IMS? If so, if there was metal laying around I guess it's better to find out now than after it grenades.
I had an oil leak b4 1 week and I changed RMS & IMS ,

Old 05-20-2012, 03:50 PM
I had an oil leak b4 1 week and I changed RMS & IMS ,
you're kidding.The bearings? As in IMS repair a week ago and coincidental engine failure? Need to question whether they screwed up on the seal or the bearing. You must have an early 06 if they replaced the bearing. This is what concerns me about preemptive repairs. Ugh. If thus is expensive you may need to get a second opinion on what is broken up in there and consider your legal options. Think about having car taken to a different shop at this point? I would be very very angry and suspicious about this if I were you.

Last edited by Gpjli; 05-20-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:55 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gpjli
you're kidding.The bearings? As in IMS repair a week ago and coincidental engine failure? Need to question whether they screwed up on the seal or the bearing. You must have an early 06 if they replaced the bearing. This is what concerns me about preemptive repairs. Ugh. If thus is expensive you may need to get a second opinion on what is broken up in there and consider your legal options. Think about having car taken to a different shop at this point? I would be very very angry and suspicious about this if I were you.

somethings not right, I agree.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Just a thought. It says clearly on LN website that the bearing cannot be replaced if it already shows sign of damage ie has started to break up. Once that is the case it is too late because oil comtamination has occurred. Did you see the bearing they replaced and did it look healthy?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure?