997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Low Oil Pressure?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 09:12 AM
kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice
subscribed

Old 05-21-2012, 11:33 AM
cayenne444 is infamous around these parts
I had the oil low pressure problem for a while since a bought the car (( when i asked they said its normal )) before 2 mounth ago , the oil leak is 1 week old and I fix it and changed the RMS & IMS . (old IMS look ok ) I will post pic soon

But recently I start to worry about the oil pressure after I read some post here ,
So I took it to a porsche mechanic and he advice me to change the oil pump but when he open it there was a very very small pieces of metal you can hardly see it .

Do you consider it engine failure ?

Old 05-21-2012, 11:51 AM
spoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the rough
I would also do an oil change and check the filter for metal shavings. When you look at the IMS bearing have you removed the bearing seal to see if the bearings themselves broke down? This would confirm that it is the bearing itself which is causing the metal shavings.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by spoddle
I would also do an oil change and check the filter for metal shavings. When you look at the IMS bearing have you removed the bearing seal to see if the bearings themselves broke down? This would confirm that it is the bearing itself which is causing the metal shavings.
Yes that what I will do ,
What do u mean by the IMS bearing seal ?

Old 05-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Can I post pic using my I pad ???

Old 05-21-2012, 12:44 PM
My old IMS
Name:  656533c1.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  149.6 KB
Name:  754f1da6.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  154.7 KB
Name:  e39e4ffa.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  139.6 KB

Old 05-21-2012, 01:02 PM
spoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the roughspoddle is a jewel in the rough
Your pictures are of the flange and not the bearing itself. The bearing is bolted to the flange. The bearing and flange should look something like this.

Here is a link which describes in great detail how the IMS bearing and flange are mated.

http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html

Old 05-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by spoddle
Your pictures are of the flange and not the bearing itself. The bearing is bolted to the flange. The bearing and flange should look something like this.

Here is a link which describes in great detail how the IMS bearing and flange are mated.

http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html
Oh yes they did change it and it was ok , when they open the flange I saw it and I tried to shake it it was ok , but I wasn't there when they remove it
(I have no pic for it )

Old 05-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cayenne444
I had the oil low pressure problem for a while since a bought the car (( when i asked they said its normal )) before 2 mounth ago , the oil leak is 1 week old and I fix it and changed the RMS & IMS . (old IMS look ok ) I will post pic soon

But recently I start to worry about the oil pressure after I read some post here ,
So I took it to a porsche mechanic and he advice me to change the oil pump but when he open it there was a very very small pieces of metal you can hardly see it .

Do you consider it engine failure ?
You should open the oil filter and look for debris. Understand that the chances are that the oil carried this fine debris through the engine. This is not a catastrophic failure obviously but it is not a good prognosis for your motor. If it were mine at the very least I would see it torn down to find the source of the problem and decide if you want it rebuilt. This may cost so much that you look at a rebuilt motor. Imo,you can't just replace the pump w/o knowing what failed in the motor to cause this. I repeat my concern that it may be related to the IMS replacement and that the same people still have your motor. I would not let them touch it unless they guarantee to replace it if necessary. If they caused the problem (you will need an outside opinion for this. I doubt they will volunteer this info) they should be responsible. You need advise from a professional in your area, perhaps a good dealer service dept, to help you.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Gpjli
You should open the oil filter and look for debris. Understand that the chances are that the oil carried this fine debris through the engine. This is not a catastrophic failure obviously but it is not a good prognosis for your motor. If it were mine at the very least I would see it torn down to find the source of the problem and decide if you want it rebuilt. This may cost so much that you look at a rebuilt motor. Imo,you can't just replace the pump w/o knowing what failed in the motor to cause this. I repeat my concern that it may be related to the IMS replacement and that the same people still have your motor. I would not let them touch it unless they guarantee to replace it if necessary. If they caused the problem (you will need an outside opinion for this. I doubt they will volunteer this info) they should be responsible. You need advise from a professional in your area, perhaps a good dealer service dept, to help you.
Thanks for your advice , and I will check the oil filter also .
I already changed the oil pump but I want to know the real problem and the source of the metal ...

Old 05-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Here is my oil filter ::
Name:  c9c4e10a.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  168.1 KB

Name:  dc22b233.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  151.4 KB
Name:  8a0e793e.jpg
Views: 1354
Size:  153.1 KB

And here what I found Inside the filter ????
Name:  dca75fad.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  110.7 KB
Name:  9efcaf66.jpg
Views: 1347
Size:  119.4 KB

BTW, Its very very small but in the pic it look bigger and it did not stick to a magnetic

Any idea for the source ??

Old 05-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Thats a real mess. How long was that filter in there? Is that different from what was in the oil pump? If you rub it between your fingers does it feel soft or like sand? Have you taken the car back and are you driving it?

Last edited by Gpjli; 05-23-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:24 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Is that metal? is that the same material that was in the oil pump?

Aluminum wouldn't stick to a magnet but that would mean it was block or head material right?

Old 05-23-2012, 06:33 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
someone with good engine knowledge (probably on this site) will tell you exactly what those pieces are from based on the color alone.... we are all waiting.

Looks like brass to me. (bearings??)

Last edited by cerbomark; 05-23-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:37 PM
As I understand it there is a bypass in the oil filter that operates if filter is clogged. Everything gets dumped back into the motor. That would likely have happened here judging by the pix. Probably rebuild time. Wonder what the service records look like if the filter is any indication. Obviously no one looked into the filter before putting money into this. I feel like something is missing in this story.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure?