997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Fluids leaking after just being serviced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 06:52 PM
GIZMOGIRL256 is infamous around these parts
Fluids leaking after just being serviced

Okay, help needed here to calm a mild panic attack. My new baby, a 2007 C4S, was just serviced this morning. I bought it used and service records showed that it didn't have the 40K service and I figured a more thorough check was in order. All good, no issues and I drove it home through typical stop and go traffic. When I pulled into my garage I noticed white steam coming off the engine! I checked under the back only to find liquid dripping down onto the garage floor (the husband is going to be less than overjoyed!). It appears to be a light red in color, slightly oily, with a sweetish smell. Coolant? I lost about a quart of it into the catch pan and the leaking has stopped now. I noticed the coolant reservoir is about a 1/2" below the minimum mark. Oil levels and brake fluid are fine. Any thoughts? Do the "typical" cracks in the overflow tank happen near the top so that it stops leaking after the level falls below a certain level? The fact that it has stopped leads me to believe that it's not on the lower side. I saw a mention on one post about air in the coolant system after a service causing an overflow but don't think there was any service done on the coolant system this time around.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:59 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
It sounds like coolant, do you know if the people doing the work serviced the coolant system? I wonder if they tried topping up the coolant, and didn't do it properly and it is no overflowing due to air in the system.

I would suggest taking it back to the service center that did the work, could be simple, but it could also be something bigger.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:32 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
if it ain't as simple as a loose cap, take it back. def coolant.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:09 AM
MSCHWA3439 is infamous around these parts
get it back to the dealer ASAP!!!!!!!! coolant

Old 06-01-2011, 07:30 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GIZMOGIRL256
Okay, help needed here to calm a mild panic attack. My new baby, a 2007 C4S, was just serviced this morning. I bought it used and service records showed that it didn't have the 40K service and I figured a more thorough check was in order. All good, no issues and I drove it home through typical stop and go traffic. When I pulled into my garage I noticed white steam coming off the engine! I checked under the back only to find liquid dripping down onto the garage floor (the husband is going to be less than overjoyed!). It appears to be a light red in color, slightly oily, with a sweetish smell. Coolant? I lost about a quart of it into the catch pan and the leaking has stopped now. I noticed the coolant reservoir is about a 1/2" below the minimum mark. Oil levels and brake fluid are fine. Any thoughts? Do the "typical" cracks in the overflow tank happen near the top so that it stops leaking after the level falls below a certain level? The fact that it has stopped leads me to believe that it's not on the lower side. I saw a mention on one post about air in the coolant system after a service causing an overflow but don't think there was any service done on the coolant system this time around.
I would say they overfilled coolant during service and after run it went out of extension tank. OR they did not put cap tight enough.

I would give them a call and demanded to investigate/fix it. Or you can pay more and do pressure test to make sure tank is not cracked - sometimes they do crack and may leak when they get hot.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:26 AM
I had left a message at the shop last night after the panic subsided.
The owner called me back first thing this morning and apologized that he hadn't checked it more thoroughly after topping it off. We're both suspecting the evil, cracked reservoir issue that only manifested when he brought the coolant level back up. Driving it in this morning, all was okay. Gauges and temps all normal. After I parked though....another lovely puddle of coolant. Oh well, at least it was in the work parking lot and not my garage floor! More info to follow soon....

Old 06-01-2011, 07:03 PM
mihink is infamous around these parts
^ Good luck!

Old 06-02-2011, 01:22 PM
K997 is infamous around these partsK997 is infamous around these parts
Good luck Gizmo, although I have to say I wouldn't have driven the car under those circumstances ... that said, I would also demand any repairs be made free of charge since this is something that should have been checked out prior to you taking delivery.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Good news! It wasn't the reservoir! It was one of those silly hose spring clamps. Having worked on AC systems before, I know how they can work one day and then completely give out with just the right nudge or change in pressure/temperature.

Mechanic also noted that at some point, someone had backed up over a curbstone and scraped the water pump flange pretty badly. Seals still intact and no reason to touch it now. I had to laugh though when he told me that the engine was a little discolored where the coolant hit it. I'm sooo not keeping it as a garage queen. lol. It has enough nicks and scratches in the paint that I don't feel bad about driving it rain or shine or snow (the gray hides a lot)! The car probably wouldn't appeal to the purist due to the little bit of cosmetic issues but the price was perfect for me!

Old 06-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by K997
Good luck Gizmo, although I have to say I wouldn't have driven the car under those circumstances ... that said, I would also demand any repairs be made free of charge since this is something that should have been checked out prior to you taking delivery.
Oh and I bought this used, as-is. I'm actually the 3rd owner. It was of a bit sight-unseen. I'm going through an independent shop now instead of a dealer. The dealers around me charge outrageous prices. While we had this "miss", I'm not sure it would have been caught on a regular 40K service. The guys in this shop are easy to work with, reputable and very involved with the local Porsche club. Plus....it's like walking into an exotic showroom when you visit their shop! TTs, GT2s, GT3s, old, new and a few sprinkles of other German cars.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:56 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Good to hear that it was a minor issue that can be easily fixed. Enjoy your car to its fullest.