997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Price check 2009 Carrera

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:46 AM
beaboarder is infamous around these parts
So I've decided to move forward on this vehicle and get a PPI done. I have found three independents (AutoDynamica, Driver Source and Eurocar-Werk) that do PPI's anybody ever used any of these shops and is one better than the other?
The carfax looks clean, the only other thing I question about the vehicle is that it has been sitting at the dealership since the beginning of February. The asking price does not seem high compared to similarly optioned vehicles on cars.com and autotrader. The only thing I can think is that it is just not appealing to most people because of the lack of options, any opinions ?

Old 06-14-2011, 01:42 PM
LiquidLobotomy is infamous around these parts
Am I missing something here? Low $60s for a 2009? That sounds like a screaming good deal, assuming the PPI checks out.

A quick look on the interwebs this past weekend shows 2008s and some well-optioned 2007s in that price range ... I see the apparent lack of options, but this one has the DFI engine and interior upgrades? Sounds like "too-good-to-be-true."

Old 06-14-2011, 03:03 PM
jimny is infamous around these parts
Please forgive my ignorance, is a PPI really needed if it is CPOed from the dealer? I thought they can't CPO anything with body work damage and there is also a long checklist for everything they need to inspect.

Thanks for the clarification

Old 06-14-2011, 03:40 PM
LiquidLobotomy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jimny
Please forgive my ignorance, is a PPI really needed if it is CPOed from the dealer? I thought they can't CPO anything with body work damage and there is also a long checklist for everything they need to inspect.

Thanks for the clarification
In a perfect world ... sure, you would get a PPI on a CPO car.

In the real world ... I did not get a PPI on my CPO car.

The car was up in Cleveland, OH (I'm in Atlanta) and didn't want to deal with an out of town PPI. I did get, however, a full DME "over-rev" scan and a copy of the massive number of checks the dealer does to get CPO status ... including lots of stuff that could have happened in an accident. Also got a CarFax, but not sure that's much security.

Bottom line is you need to do what you're comfortable with. It's your money, and you're the one that will soon be driving an iconic sports car.

Best of luck!

Old 06-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Vancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the rough
As indicated by another OP, if the car is being purchased from a Porsche dealer it should come with a CPO (2 additional years for a total of 6). If they are unwilling to CPO the car that would make me a little nervous. The likely reason its been sitting on the lot for a few months is that the car has limited options which will be less appealing to many. This may also explain the good pricing.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:42 PM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
quote: As indicated by another OP, if the car is being purchased from a Porsche dealer it should come with a CPO (2 additional years for a total of 6). If they are unwilling to CPO the car that would make me a little nervous.

I followed my c4 after the trade last summer, a '07 w/ 16.9k miles. I got the car 'near new' and CPO. The cost of my deal / trade pressed them and they decided to sell it rather then Auction it. The dealer cost to CPO is approx. $4.5k but it varies per the tires and open service issues. They posted it @ $8.5k over my trade and didn't CPO; note I ran snows for $6.5k miles so the tires were ok. It sold to a local dude in less then 4 weeks and they got approx. $57k. I saved $3.5k in taxes and was happy. Each deal is different; research and legwork are necessary if you want anything special. I see both my Porsche's as worth the effort = maximum smiles !

Old 06-14-2011, 05:54 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Worth it to get the DME scan. I'd be less concerned about a full PPI on a P dealer car. I would also pay $2k extra for the CPO.
FWIW, the car is a "stripper". P car buyers are particular about options and love to look for full leather, sport chrono, sport seats, Bose, etc. A lack of options makes the car pretty undesirable for resale. You CAN get into such a car more cheaply, just go in eyes open that resale will be affected. This is already apparent as you've seen the car has been on the lot for months.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:59 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ryem3
Worth it to get the DME scan. I'd be less concerned about a full PPI on a P dealer car. I would also pay $2k extra for the CPO.
FWIW, the car is a "stripper". P car buyers are particular about options and love to look for full leather, sport chrono, sport seats, Bose, etc. A lack of options makes the car pretty undesirable for resale. You CAN get into such a car more cheaply, just go in eyes open that resale will be affected. This is already apparent as you've seen the car has been on the lot for months.
QFT. Adaptive sports seats are a must for some (myself included) for example.