997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Mouse problems - need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 08:50 PM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
Mouse problems - need advice

Hi guys,
I put my 997 away for several months every winter in a garage that has mice. I dutifully put the inhumane sticky traps on the ground near the car but rarely catch any. You can see the droppings in the corner of the garage so I know they're around. And I've always had signs of mice in the cabin air filter but in the past I replace that every spring and all is well.

This year no joy. I replaced the cabin air filter which had its share of seeds and mice droppings and it was chewed up but it didn't look like a mouse had got through into the air system. But the car stunk.

The floor/seating area was clean with no droppings. I removed the shelf behind the rear seats and I found more signs of mice (droppings, some chewed up foam and a some seeds). My presumption is that there's a nest somewhere in the engine compartment and/or possibly a mouse made a nest in the vent system.

I've vacuumed, sprayed fabreeze everywhere and tried to blow air into the engine from the rear shelf inside the car. I've taken long drives hoping that the stink would burn off. The smell is better but it's not good.

Has anyone encountered this and/or have suggestions?

Many thanks!
Bob

Old 06-10-2011, 08:57 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Ozone generator.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:59 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Old 06-10-2011, 09:12 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
next winter. get some 100,000 BTU Cayenne pepper. dust it all under the car and around the tires..once they step on it and lick their feet to clean it off.it will be the last time
they get near that car.

if they are getting into the cabin filter try putting like saran wrap across your vents on the outside of your car.since thats the only way in.
check your windshield washer bottle they like to chew into that to drink.

maybe put the car on jack stands then it might be to high for them..and wrap the sticky traps all around the jack stands.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Gotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by tonka858
next winter. get some 100,000 BTU Cayenne pepper. dust it all under the car and around the tires..once they step on it and lick their feet to clean it off.it will be the last time
they get near that car.

if they are getting into the cabin filter try putting like saran wrap across your vents on the outside of your car.since thats the only way in.
check your windshield washer bottle they like to chew into that to drink.

maybe put the car on jack stands then it might be to high for them..and wrap the sticky traps all around the jack stands.
Lol, Saran wrap? You kidding me?

Old 06-10-2011, 09:20 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
OH CRAP...no pun intended

Find another garage......because IF smell is the only issue....you got lucky!

What would you do IF they chewed through wires?....I can say that IF that happened you would be digging DEEP into your pockets to fix it!

Seriously.....
MOVE YOUR CAR from that garage!

I hope they didn't touch that magnificent turbo!?

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 06-10-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:09 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I have never had mice mostly because I have cats (indoor as well as feral) . I do have possum but they avoid the cats to some degree and in some cases co exist .
None have ever touched my Porsches.

The key to that is finding and closing all the ports of entry for the rodent . They will go somewhere else . In fact large rodents like possum are nocturnal and hide in rooftops or under toolsheds . They come out at night to feed and them go right back to the spot they have secured .

It is my understanding that mice do not like the scent of peppermint oil . Some rags with peppermint oil ought to deter them if they find an entry point which is unsecured. If you wish to trap them humanely they can not climb out of a bucket . What they want is food . Placing food in bucket with steps to climb up will trap them and then you can release them safely wherever the laws of your region suggest.

Last edited by yrralis1; 06-10-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:13 PM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
bbywu, tonka858, gotnem108, Stacy, Larry,

Many thanks for your tips. All good stuff.

I suppose I should consider driving my car all winter, or perhaps sending it to Vancouver to Stacy or to Florida for safekeeping by Larry! I'm sure each would take great care of it and return it in concours condition!

I'm going to try everything and probably bring it to a mechanic so I can get it up on a lift and poke around in the engine compartment for a nest or other debris.

At the moment I still drive it, but when it's your baby you don't mind the stink as much as the passengers who remind me it smells like a combo of dead mice and pee.
Thanks again,
Bob

Old 06-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Mojo31 is infamous around these parts
I hear Justatoy may have a virgin garage stall available.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Gotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to all
Send it to me, I have some garage space for you. Heck, I even help you drive it to keep the car well lube when you get back.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
When storing the car, I put a mouse trap with peanut butter at each wheel ( irresistable bait). If you catch any mice replace the trap immediately. This should keep your car mouse free. I also use an ultrasonic mouse repellent. The combination seems to work for me.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:23 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MarathonBob
bbywu, tonka858, gotnem108, Stacy, Larry,

Many thanks for your tips. All good stuff.

I suppose I should consider driving my car all winter, or perhaps sending it to Vancouver to Stacy or to Florida for safekeeping by Larry! I'm sure each would take great care of it and return it in concours condition!

Bob
I like the "sending it to Vancouver" solution....I will make sure it is REALLY well taken care of!

Originally Posted by Mojo31
I hear Justatoy may have a virgin garage stall available.
Nah,that stall has been violated once before with CanuckC4S's car....

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 06-12-2011 at 09:42 PM.