997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Opinion on price.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 04:06 PM
JTfromCali is infamous around these parts
Opinion on price.

I am in no rush to buy my P car. I am being patient and keeping my options open thus hoping to get a good deal. I have been talking to someone in Texas who has a 2007 coupe 20k miles Sports Chrono package with the paint scheme I like asking $51K. I recently passed on a 2006 exact same going for $47K. What do you guys think? Is spending the extra 4K worth it or should I wait a while and see when another similar deal comes up?
Another option I though about is getting a 2005 and putting the extra money towards changing and updating the car? A new head unit, new rear LED lights, maybe new wheels.
I have to keep my expenses in mind kids, college, payroll, my WIFE.
This will be my first Porsche and I feel like a kid on Christmas eve. But one thing I learned is that patience pays off..
Please share your thoughs...

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 06-11-2011 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Not enough posts and not in open forum
Old 06-11-2011, 11:42 PM
muerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to all
JT...you are going to have to give a little more info on the car. I am going to assume it is a C2, not a C2S based on your description, but can you answer a few more Q's?
Besides sports chrono, what options? Nav, full leather, bose, etc.?
Color?
CPO?
Tip or manual?

If you have a link...that is actually the best way to get help from this forum. People here will likely either know the car or the dealer and be able to give really valuable advice.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Check it out.
www.xsellmotors.com
the only Porsche left 2007...
Let me know your thoughts..
The CPO is no longer any good though..
Muerdeme what part of Cali are you from?

Last edited by JTfromCali; 06-11-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:06 AM
muerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to all
JT...I am assuming that we are talking about the black 2007 with Tip and sport chrono. Seems like an OK deal. They are pushing the car as loaded...but without full leather hard to call it loaded, I think you need to push on them about that.

First few questions that come into my head...

Are you sure you want Tip?
Are you sure you don't want to spend a bit more (or go a little higher mileage, or go to 06 or 05) and get an S?
Are you ready to own black? (higher upkeep than other colors)

Otherwise...I would say get the best price you can and have fun.

I am in the ventura county area.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:56 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JTfromCali
I am in no rush to buy my P car. I am being patient and keeping my options open thus hoping to get a good deal. I have been talking to someone in Texas who has a 2007 coupe 20k miles Sports Chrono package with the paint scheme I like asking $51K. I recently passed on a 2006 exact same going for $47K. What do you guys think? Is spending the extra 4K worth it or should I wait a while and see when another similar deal comes up?
Another option I though about is getting a 2005 and putting the extra money towards changing and updating the car? A new head unit, new rear LED lights, maybe new wheels.
I have to keep my expenses in mind kids, college, payroll, my WIFE.
This will be my first Porsche and I feel like a kid on Christmas eve. But one thing I learned is that patience pays off..
Please share your thoughs...
It sounds like you are answering your own question . see above.

Taking a 2005 car and placing quality wheels on it and upgrading the car is expensive. With repair potential any car that older has less warranty and with that come risk . The cars are generally reliable . You are looking at a car from an independent dealership in another state when there is no shortage of cars in California.

Whats more concerning is the expenses listed in your post.
Save the money . The Porsche will always be there to buy .

Old 06-12-2011, 05:59 AM
deijmaster is infamous around these parts
Personnaly I wouldn't go with an 05, first year bugs and everything.... Put the extra money and get an 06 or 07 and slowly build on top... My 2 cents.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:16 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
Be patient. Used cars in the 06 - 08 range are selling fast right now, but could slow down as fall approaches which should help pricing a bit. Determine your budget and stick to it. I would recommend an 06 S over an 07 C2. Make sure you want an automatic vs. 6 speed as well. I would not try to upgrade an 05 as one responder said. It ends up costing more and you don't really get the money back when you turn around to sell.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:04 PM
This would be my first Porsche and as you all know they are not cheap. I would prefer a 6 speed but my wife is very suportive of me buying the car and she wants to be able to drive it so thats fine with me. I am looking forward to not having to worry about all that shifting especially in OC freeways. I do not plan on tracking the car and I am ok with not getting an S. I am sure a few years from now I will be looking for a turbo, but we all have to start somewhere right?
I have a budget and I know what I want. As a newbie I don't know everything in the Porsche universe and I am hoping to just get into that galaxy for now.
I am a bit frustrated because there really does not seem to be a whole lot of P cars for sale that meet my criteria right now, and let me tell you I am not asking for much. It makes no sense to me to buy a 08 at a dealer with 50 plus thousand miles with a CPO that will run out in 1 year for the same price I can buy a 07-06 with half the miles and a lower price, and more options.
Case in point, I contenplated buying a 2007 c2 meteor gray/black with 53,000 miles with a 2 year CPO at Walters here in Riverside Cali for if I recall correctly $53K. No Sport Chrono, no full leather, pretty basic. I also though the interior was a bit worn, which is why I did not purchase it.
Now compare that to the car I pointed out in my link (30K less miles Sport Chrono) why would anyone buy the car at Walters? And I see more of the same at a lot of the Porsche dealers.
By the way I appreciate all the advice I am getting....

Old 06-12-2011, 05:18 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Have you considered a new Cayman ? It's right at your price range, brand new with full warranty, has PDK which your wife can drive , even has a lot of appeal amongst women who do tend to buy it above the 911 , and is one heck of a great car. It also holds value . Look at used Cayman prices .. they are rock solid.

A new base cayman is about 55K . A Cayman S is about 65K and those are MSRP prices . BTW .. a Cayman R will blow the doors off a 997.1 base Carrera but it costs in the 70's.

Given the strength of the used market it plus the circumstances of a spending limit ... a cayman or Cayman S new gets you a first Porsche and its really nice.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:28 PM
I am not interested in a cayman. I need the availabity of the rear seats.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:44 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
I agree on the Cayman S option. They are priced better right now than the 911 in the used market. The 911 has had some strengthening in the market on used prices. It may be better to wait a bit until the market softens as the new 991 is introduced, or pull the trigger on a good Cayman S. It's a two seater, so if you have little kids and need to haul them, then this is would be a problem.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by JTfromCali
I am not interested in a cayman. I need the availabity of the rear seats.
Understood .

Then why can't your wife learn how to drive a manual ?
This is something i have never understood and you are not the first guy who is ready to buy a Tiptronic when it's not even the car that he wants .
PDK is out of your price range and the Tiptronic is awful and dated .. so much so that Porsche doesn't even offer it anymore .

It's a expensive car and its my opinion that if a person really isn't interested in cars he or she can dive any automatic . It doesn't have to be a Porsche 911 .

Old 06-13-2011, 12:52 PM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
I was in your shoes exactly 2 years ago, went to Walters and saw a perfect car as well. But Larry convinced me to look further so I found my baby few days later 60 miles north at Auto Gallery in the valleys. Lesson learned for me was not to rush it, because the car you want will eventually show up. Don't settle for anything less just because you want it now.

2 years later I am still in love with the car. Even though I got the 6sp manual I wanted, my only regret was my wife not being able to drive it. But after this is paid off we'll have to upgrade her car anyway.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:53 PM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
By the way I drove the CaymanS at the Porsche world show event and was a bit disappointed. On the other hand the car that surprised me (and everybody else there) was the Boxster Spyder. It is a much sportier car than Cayman.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:05 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by steph280
By the way I drove the CaymanS at the Porsche world show event and was a bit disappointed. On the other hand the car that surprised me (and everybody else there) was the Boxster Spyder. It is a much sportier car than Cayman.

try the cayman R

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinion on price.