997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

engine goes bang. 05 097s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 02:46 AM
mkaraoglan has a spectacular aura aboutmkaraoglan has a spectacular aura aboutmkaraoglan has a spectacular aura about
engine goes bang. 05 097s

So I'm turning off a highway off ramp and I start to lose power. A few rpm hesitations and I look in my rear view mirror and white smoke is billowing out.
Right then the check engine light cones on as o drop the car in neutral and coAst to a stop. Hear a little clunk.

I peek under the car and there's an oil puddle and oil coating my mufflers and coolant slowly dripping down.
Car is now at Newport porsche.

Initial diagnostic is that it's the oil/ water separator? Possibly the intermediate shaft. Won't know until Monday.

Any thoughts?
Tia
Marc

Attached Images  
Old 06-12-2011, 02:48 AM
mkaraoglan has a spectacular aura aboutmkaraoglan has a spectacular aura aboutmkaraoglan has a spectacular aura about
oil

Enter Content

Attached Images  
Old 06-12-2011, 10:07 AM
mihink is infamous around these parts
Wow...good luck to you. I hope it's a simple inexpensive fix.
Just got my '06 CS not too long ago...IMS/RMS/whatever failures are freaking me out. Feel scared to drive the thing

Any more details on your car: miles/build date amd most importantly any warranty left?
Hope someone can chime in on what the problem with your car might be.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:10 AM
August 04 build. 78,000 trouble free miles until now.
Will know more Monday and post.

Just got my '06 CS not too long ago...IMS/RMS/whatever failures are freaking me out. Feel scared to drive the thing

Any more details on your car: miles/build date amd most importantly any warranty left?

Old 06-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mihink

Go to the L&N Engineering site and read up on the issue. They offer a solution for the problem and a method to check for the issue before it becomes terminal.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks. I'm waiting to see if porsche is going to resolve this under goodwill or not.
Originally Posted by mihink

Go to the L&N Engineering site and read up on the issue. They offer a solution for the problem and a method to check for the issue before it becomes terminal.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:22 PM
fkhanod is infamous around these parts
Sorry to hear about your car-Hope it's not the IMS issue that we all fear. Please keep us posted.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
[QUOTE=mihink;3230695]Wow...good luck to you. I hope it's a simple inexpensive fix.

You are getting seriously neurotic. For the sake of your mental health you are to stop reading this and all other Porsche message boards immediately. Start driving more. Oh, and: ENJOY YOUR CAR! It will put that special smile back on your face.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Fingers crossed for you, Marc. May it be something that is easily fixed.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:22 AM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
I'd be surprised (pleasantly) if Porsche offers a 'Goodwill' repair of your problem. Your 997 is almost 7 yrs from it's 'birthdate'. Unless you had a CPO your about 3 yrs out of 'factory' warranty. I'll be playing close attention to your problem/resolution since I too have a 2005 997S (about the same manufacturing date; I'm #334 of the build). To date (23K miles)it's been problem free.

GL w/ Porsche and keep us informed on what's happening.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:01 AM
I did have a CPo until aug/ sept of last years and none if the inspections to that date showed any upcoming issues. Thanks up all and will keep you posted.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Taiwanese is infamous around these parts
subscribed.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:03 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Wow, I must say it doesn't look or sound good.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't be happy about putting a new/rebuilt engine in my car. However, if you have put all of the miles on the car and know it's history a new heart transplant might be acceptable. You could put the L&N update in the car and be good to go for a lot of additional miles.

Best of luck.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
Hmmm, since coolant is involved I highly doubt it is the IMS... probably more likely the AOS (Air Oil Separator) since both oil and coolant go through it. I hope that ends up being your issue since it is not too bad a fix.

David

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: engine goes bang. 05 097s