997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Valet joyrides

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 03:42 PM
DBV
DBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud of
I'll chime in with my valet experience...

I used to valet cars when I was in college. It was a young car enthusiast's dream come true. Where else would I get paid to park AMGs, Bentleys, Ferraris, etc and get paid to do it? Additionally, I was the only valet on my shift that knew how to properly drive a stick, so I got to drive all the sports cars too. For the most part, I would treat customers and their cars with respect, carefully guiding them to their parking spot, making sure to return the car the same way.

However, being in college, I was also irresponsible, reckless and knew that the hotel's insurance would cover any damage caused by me. A terrible combination to say the least.
Example: One day a guy pulls up in a brand new Maserati. I open his door, telling him what a great car he has. He responds with something along the lines of "you'll never afford one buddy". I waited until he went inside, got in the car, and proceeded to spend the next 30 minutes punishing his clutch and tires. In my mind at the time(and most valet's), doing donuts in an exotic was well worth losing your job over. Had I been the owner of the Spyder, I would have murdered the valet. This kind of thing happened all the time.

Moral of the story? Don't valet your car. I wouldn't trust some 18 yr old, underpaid valet who has nothing to lose, to park my car. Neither should you.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by DBV
I would treat customers and their cars with respect, carefully guiding them to their parking spot, making sure to return the car the same way.
Whenever I use valets, or interact with any service oriented worker, I always treat them with dignity and respect. Of course, I would want to receive the same in return. Sadly, not everyone you run into has the same attitude, and that goes both ways (e.g., that Maserati guy). So thanks for another story "from the frontlines" - even though it's now an old war story

Gone cold turkey from valets...

Ron

Old 06-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Max77 has a spectacular aura aboutMax77 has a spectacular aura about
I never valet my car or park at any garage here in Chicago that is valet only. I've had far too many friends have car damage stories as well as personally seeing valets back into other cars/support beams/etc. I used to work in the Merc building in Chicago and of course the garage there is filled w/Bentleys, Rolls and other high end cars. Even driving "only" an Audi at the time I'd tip the guys to let me park my car myself.

I was talking about this at the shop where I have some work done on my car and one of the employees said his friend valeted his Jag at the horse track and a few hours later when they picked up the car the hood was hot to the touch. Turned out the valets went on a nice joyride in it.

I don't look down on those who do that job, but I'm not handing the keys of a Porsche over to a kid making $8/hr.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:18 AM
takiled is infamous around these parts
Valet

There is software available (GIAC is one of the better known). That has a valet mode which severely tones down the HP output and takes the joy out of driving a Porsche or other high end car at 20mph. Software also has other options to make it faster.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:50 AM
IamRobG is infamous around these parts
The question is, how much did you pay the valet guy? I valet mine everywhere and it always gets put right in front. A 20 when i pull up and a 10 when i leave. And every time i go back "hey rob how are you, put it right there" or "here are your keys, its right in front". I bull**** with them, make fun of the snotty people. Sometimes a little courtesy and conversation goes a long way.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:55 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
I don't look down on those who do that job, but I'm not handing the keys of a Porsche over to a kid making $8/hr.[/QUOTE]

Lol true story

Old 08-05-2011, 10:46 AM
mgent is infamous around these parts
We Valet all the time, no problem with any of our cars... If you are driving a $100k porsche, $200k bentley or $300k ferrari/lambo, is the $20/40/100 to leave the car up front really an issue? Most nicer hotels / restaurants have that option, and they won't drive it away... I'm less worried about them driving it a few miles while I'm eating, but have you ever seen the lots valet's use? They park as many cars in only a few spots - sometimes I'm not sure how they get in/out they are so close...

Pay the guy $40, it will save your car and you won't have to wait when you're done..