997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Valet joyrides

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Angry Valet joyrides

I know people have voiced their opinions about valet parking before, but I had to ask a related question: How often after you get your car back from valet parking do you notice that "excessive" miles have been put on your car? I was in downtown Portland last night for a birthday party at the hip/chic Nines Hotel, pulled up and valet parked. Of course they asked if I wanted to leave the car up front (for essentially double the standard valet cost) or standard valet service. Well, I didn't want to leave my car at the curb (it's just at the side of a busy street - no fancy driveway here) so I told them to standard park it. Before we leave, I take mental note of the mileage on the car.

When the wife and I get back into the car and drive off, I notice that FIVE miles have been put on the car since I handed it over to the valets. Mind you we're in downtown, and I'm sure that the parking structure is no more than 2-3 blocks away, TOPS.

Anyone else notice this? Drives me nuts. Makes me not want to take the car to nice places, but then why have the car (well besides driving it LOL).

Old 06-12-2011, 09:59 PM
stack24 is infamous around these parts
Did you mention this to the Valet or did you just let it go?

Old 06-12-2011, 10:25 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
The valet stories are so common that my feeling is that if i can't park the Porsche myself I will drive the Honda Civic .

Old 06-12-2011, 10:42 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
The valet stories are so common that my feeling is that if i can't park the Porsche myself I will drive the Honda Civic .
+1, I NEVER valet my cars unless I'm in my SUV or minivan. Sometimes I park it myself in front of the establishment and pay the valet boy to watch my car but never give them the keys.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Did you mention this to the Valet or did you just let it go?
I had already pulled away before I noticed the mileage difference.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:08 PM

+1, I NEVER valet my cars unless I'm in my SUV or minivan. Sometimes I park it myself in front of the establishment and pay the valet boy to watch my car but never give them the keys.
Sad, but I just might have to take this approach. Silly me thinking valets at a nice place would be more respectful. But then again, I guess they're not employed by the hotel - they're always subcontracted out it seems.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:18 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I think the worst part about valets beyond the typical horror stories (joy rides, car damage, theft, etc) is that most people would rather park their own cars themselves. A good example of this might be to examine how many people actually park the cars themselves when both choices are offered . My thoughts don't just apply to those who have nice cars . i don't even like to hand my Honda to a valet . Even if he is careful and the car is fine it's still handing the keys to someone else who sweats, sneezes, picks his nose and possibly even farts in the car .

Old 06-12-2011, 11:35 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Reminds me of when I was in college and a close friend of mine was a valet for an upscale beach restaurant. He told me about one night one of his co-workers parked a Porsche closest to the sand/water with the windows down as valets often do. A rogue wave came up and flooded the car. Needless to say the owner had a costly dinner. Valets are paid so little I would never trust them with my Porsche and avoid them at all costs with my other cars.

On a side note, my friend got to drive all kinds of cars as a valet...Ferrari's, Lambo's, Porsche's...and he swore that Porsche was the best. He went on to buy a Boxster S and later a 911 so I know he wasn't lying.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:28 AM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Ynot
Same...except if I know there will be a valet, I drive my wife's Merc wagon. For that matter I think I trust the valet's more than my wife, which is why I don't let her drive either of my cars.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:37 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
One trick, if you can remember to do it, is to have a pad and pen handy and just before you hand the car over to the valet, let them see you write down the mileage. It's an obvious ploy, but it at least lets them know that you're paying attention.

Personally, I'm with the others that stated if valet parking is the only option, take the daily driver.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:12 AM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
I just pass the valet parkers they know whats up

Old 06-13-2011, 09:59 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
I never wanted to come across as the guy that wouldn't let the valet park the car but after recently having the windshield cracked (and the host of problems that has created) and a scratch on the rear bumper I am reconsidering my position.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:20 AM
stack24 is infamous around these parts
I guess let me give you a bit of info from the other side. In college I valeted for a few bars & clubs that brought in some nice cars. If they have a distance to travel to get to the lot be very certain that some drivers will step on it and enjoy the drive without any regard for your car. But we already knew that didn't we?

I am not going to play like I didn't do it and I was the best Valet out there. I had my share of a few cars that I reved up and pushed it a bit. I wasn't reckless but at the same time I did love the feeling of driving Porsches and other high line cars. Heck I was only 17 years old and being a car guy, I was in heaven.

I will say that that my co workers weren't as nice as I was. I saw some fishtails and peel outs every week.

Given that information the only time I give my car to Valet is when the car is being parked in the same lot that I am in and they can't go anywhere. If it's in downtown, etc where they have to go to a remote lot then I don't trust them with my car. First of all my car is too low and without them caring they will slam it into the ground.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:20 AM
After hearing just this small sampling of experiences and opinions, I think I am going to forgo valets with my 911. Funny thing is my wife was even telling me "you're just asking for the valets to drive your car around" yesterday when I was *****ing about this. I'll just take my sedate BMW instead... or like lowpue, I'll just take my wife's SUV.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:27 AM
JT997 is infamous around these parts
Scoper: I, too, am in the Portland area and have witnessed some terrible valet practices at the Nines. We had a work function there one night, and two of my coworkers had there cars wrecked, I think they were parking incidents, and noticeably damaged by the valet. During the same night, one of my other coworkers had his iPod stolen out of his console. Needless to say, I wont be using their valet. I don't even use the free valet for Porsche owners at Bridgeport Village.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Valet joyrides