997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997S - Aero Kit Rear Wing Removable??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 02:31 PM
TexOne is infamous around these parts
997S - Aero Kit Rear Wing Removable??

I'm looking at 997S and 996TTs and found a nice CPO 997S with the factory option aero kit. I like the front but the rear wing is over the top for me. Has anyone removed the rear wing on an aero kit? I'm wondering how practical it is to change it to a standard non-aero set up. Thanks for thoughts on it.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TexOne
I'm looking at 997S and 996TTs and found a nice CPO 997S with the factory option aero kit. I like the front but the rear wing is over the top for me. Has anyone removed the rear wing on an aero kit? I'm wondering how practical it is to change it to a standard non-aero set up. Thanks for thoughts on it.
That rear wing is actually the entire decklid. you have to swap it out for a stock decklid. It's really easy to do (swap out snorkels, fan, wire harness) - it just costs probably more than I paid for my GT3 wing/decklid replica!!

Old 06-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
PM sent.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:02 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
What year are you looking at?

Old 06-16-2011, 06:34 AM
Thomas9181 is infamous around these partsThomas9181 is infamous around these parts
You need to consider the effect of having a front spoiler and no rear spoiler. If you plan on tracking the car, you will need to either leave both on or both off.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:49 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Thomas9181
You need to consider the effect of having a front spoiler and no rear spoiler. If you plan on tracking the car, you will need to either leave both on or both off.

Yeah Porsche actually recommends against using the front bumper without the rear spoiler. However, you will be fine for normal driving and the occasional track day. If you are real track junky then you already know the problems associated with a reduction of rear down force on a rear engined car.

Jason

Old 06-16-2011, 09:37 AM
chi4s is infamous around these parts
are you interested in a swap? I have a 997 4s with a front aero bumper but no rear spoiler.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chi4s
are you interested in a swap? I have a 997 4s with a front aero bumper but no rear spoiler.
LOL, I PMed him on that just after his 1st post. No response though . . .

Old 06-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I did the same. I think I was the second.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:54 PM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
Does anyone know if the 997.1 and 997.2 decklids are interchangeable? Are there any modifications that need to be made?

Old 06-16-2011, 09:40 PM
chi4s is infamous around these parts
funny... we are all jumping on the opportunity to swap and he hasn't even bought the car yet! anyone know how good the replica aero kit/GT3 rear wing/decklids are? i'm definitely for sticking with oem parts, but the factory unit is so dang expensive.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by chi4s
funny... we are all jumping on the opportunity to swap and he hasn't even bought the car yet! anyone know how good the replica aero kit/GT3 rear wing/decklids are? i'm definitely for sticking with oem parts, but the factory unit is so dang expensive.

I love my GT3 replica wing from Precision Porsche. I haven't gotten the front bumper done, though, mostly because it's got some rock chips in it already, I figure I'd let it get dinged up a bit and then maybe switch it out later...