997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

best way to add bluetooth to my 997.1?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 12:21 PM
zanwar is infamous around these partszanwar is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by n6pvj
Thinking of putting XM in my 2006 997 C2; likely will use the Cayenne receiver. Would I still be able to add a Bluetooth/Ipod unit later, like Tooki or Dension? Mobridge?
I have this exact combination. Cayenne sat radio and mobridge bluetooth + iPod. I installed it in stages and it was a very expensive combination, probably over $3k in total. I would have all of it installed at once if that's an option. Have them put the sat radio antenna under the black plastic cowl at the base of the windscreen.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:40 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
check ebay auctions for mobridge - i beleive i got mine for close to $500, its install is a DIY job as all you need to do is to plug it into optical bus in any place.

only issue it may give you is if original unit was configured for something else than Porsche - Mercedes or Audi. I found out that only way to reprogram my unit was to connect my notebook to it over bluetooth and use mobridge config utility over bluetooth connection. using SD card with new CFG file did not work, not sure why.

after mobridge was configured it worked flawlessly for 3 years so far, and i like it pretty much. it does both ipod and bluetooth for phone.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:13 AM
mlam is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Arena994
I put a TOOKI in my 08 C4S. easily done, works great, downloads everything onto screen.
What is a TOOKI?

Old 03-09-2012, 11:37 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by mlam
What is a TOOKI?
I have a TOOKI in my 07 C4S and I hate it. It doesn't always recognize my iPod and I have to manually play or advance songs. Doesn't keep the iPod charged either. This thing sucks and I don't recommend it all.

The Porsche head unit also sucks. The way it works is weird and I'm not very happy with the operation. The nav CD is out of date and I can't get a new one...because it's not made anymore.

I'm going to wait another month or so and get the new Pioneer head unit installed with a new operating system that works better with the Android phones..I have a Bionic. I will lose some functions from the head unit, but once they are set I'm good and I have Durametric anyway and I can go in there and change.

My installer is going to call me as soon as that new Pioneer unit hits his shop and give me the run down...and more than likely, it's going in my car!!

Old 03-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the quick response. Tell me what ya choose. Good luck.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Caughtacab911 is infamous around these parts
I've had the Tooki Bluetooth adapter in my 997.1 for almost 4 years. It had to be reset once when there was a software upgrade but the shop where I had it done gives a lifetime guarantee so that was easy. It's integrated into the PCM, as is my aftermarket satellite radio receiver (also done at the same time) and I've been happy with both.

That said, I rarely talk on the phone when driving. Either I'm too into the ride - which is pretty much all the time - or the top is down and then it's impossible to have a conversation.

Gene

05 911 C2S cabriolet, arctic silver/black/full leather/chrono plus/nav/bose/tooki/sat/SRX
01 MB E320 4Matic wagon

Old 03-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Any review advice regarding the Dension Gateway 500 for a 997.1 PCM 2.1?

Old 03-12-2012, 12:36 PM
InTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud ofInTheAir has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mlam
Any review advice regarding the Dension Gateway 500 for a 997.1 PCM 2.1?
I had it and returned it--the audio quality while driving was very bad for the person on the other end of the call.

I still have the Dension ipod interface (and have for several years).

I too would like to get a bluetooth interface for my phone.

Does anyone have any experience with the Mobridge version in terms of sound quality--is the quality more dependent on the phone or on the interface??

Old 03-12-2012, 12:42 PM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by InTheAir
I had it and returned it--the audio quality while driving was very bad for the person on the other end of the call.

I still have the Dension ipod interface (and have for several years).

I too would like to get a bluetooth interface for my phone.

Does anyone have any experience with the Mobridge version in terms of sound quality--is the quality more dependent on the phone or on the interface??
I've looked into the MObridge version, however after speaking with my installer he recommended that I wait for the new Pioneer Head unit to come out and try that. I use the Pioneer in my F250 work truck and it's great. The iPod interface is great and the phone works well. My cab is noisy though...it is a truck, and sometimes the caller doesn't hear me well, so I'm going to move my microphone to another location to fix that issue.

But overall, I think the Pioneer will be my best option for what I want to do and what I want to accomplish, IMHO. Having the back up camera installed too is a nice adder for me since my truck and my 750 have cameras it's hard to back up and park without them!! LOL

I'm hoping for the Pioneer install within the next month of so...waiting for it to come into my installer's place and go check it out installed in his vehicle.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:44 PM
zanwar is infamous around these partszanwar is infamous around these parts
I have the moBridge system installed and it's excellent, great sound quality (in both directions) with my iPhone 4 / 4S. Better than most factory systems. I have the microphone mounted on top of the steering column. The iPod cable is installed in the center armrest storage bin. The iPod interface on the PCM is very slow and clunky, but workable. The phone interface on the PCM is very good, you can use the numeric pad to type in a number and begin the call.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by zanwar
I have the moBridge system installed and it's excellent, great sound quality (in both directions) with my iPhone 4 / 4S. Better than most factory systems. I have the microphone mounted on top of the steering column. The iPod cable is installed in the center armrest storage bin. The iPod interface on the PCM is very slow and clunky, but workable. The phone interface on the PCM is very good, you can use the numeric pad to type in a number and begin the call.
I heard the phone was good with the MObridge....but it's the iPod interface that I just hate. It is slow and really stupid to operate. I'm spoiled with the Pioneer in my truck and the ease of operation. Having steering wheel controls help out a lot too. Getting the NavTV tookie and trying to deal with that thing has left a bad taste for me to continue to look for more interfaces when I can just replace the whole thing and be done with it.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:25 PM
n6pvj is infamous around these parts
Thank--I installed the Cayenne SAT receiver in my 2006 997.1 and have been pleased. Now I'm thinking of buying the MObridge Bluetooth and Ipod unit. My wife's 2011 Cayenne S came with that capability and I would like it, too.

Are there any howtos on installation?

Is the Dension a better way to go? I've read that the MObridge had a repetitive faint "beep" that can't be avoided when playing music.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:59 PM
cam99 is infamous around these partscam99 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Nycarrera
I picked up a motorola roadster t700 visor interface and its been a great solution.
+1
Integrates with iphone and can play my music through the car speakers by sync'ing with an non used radio frequency. Battery life is great and it tells you the levels by speaking the level. Speaker and Mike work great, plus no wiring.

About $70

Old 01-28-2013, 10:22 PM
n6pvj is infamous around these parts
I need integration into the PCM 2.1 (with which I'm happy, so I won't be switching it out with a Pioneer unit).

I have an XM (Cayenne) receiver that I installed (DIY) into my 2006 997.1 and also the 6-CD changer, if that makes a difference.

What I want now is to add Bluetooth for my Iphone 4S, and auxiliary USB for an Ipod for music or audiobooks.

What about MObridge, Dension (or Tooki)? Which way to go?

Thanks!