997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2 Front bumper grille inserts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:47 AM
jp-s is infamous around these parts
Putting these grills on your car voids the official p-warranty ... ...

I asked the dealer for it.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:17 PM
tcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to behold
Sorry for being late, here are a couple of iPhone pics from the grilles installed on my 997.2. They are the Cargraphic ones which I sourced from Carnewal but I believe they are identical to the FVD ones if I refer to the pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91466559@N00/6050718881/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/91466559@N00/6050719069/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/91466559@N00/6050719301/

As you can see, they fit very well, behind the little plastic deflectors on the sides. Bumper removal was required. I did not used the included adhesive. Instead, I just removed the black plastic insert inside the bumper cover (the one tha holds the stuff to the bumper cover, and I put the grilles there. I used a couple of self tap screws into the fittings (not the cover itself) to hold them in place. I put the insert back on top, this required a little force to bend the grilles appropriately but it fit perfectly after that.

Hope this helps,

T.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Arerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tcouture
Sorry for being late, here are a couple of iPhone pics from the grilles installed on my 997.2. They are the Cargraphic ones which I sourced from Carnewal but I believe they are identical to the FVD ones if I refer to the pictures.

As you can see, they fit very well, behind the little plastic deflectors on the sides. Bumper removal was required. I did not used the included adhesive. Instead, I just removed the black plastic insert inside the bumper cover (the one tha holds the stuff to the bumper cover, and I put the grilles there. I used a couple of self tap screws into the fittings (not the cover itself) to hold them in place. I put the insert back on top, this required a little force to bend the grilles appropriately but it fit perfectly after that.

Hope this helps,

T.
Thanks for the update. They look pretty sweet to me, the way it should have been from the factory!

Only concern for me now is the Porsche warranty...

Old 08-17-2011, 01:44 PM
BlueJay73 is infamous around these parts
They do look good, and worthwhile to protect against an expensive radiator puncture, as well as to keep out debris, but...

Now, how can you clean behind them, the smaller bits of leaves, cig butts, rocks that can make ther way through the holes?

I considered getting some grills, but the above issue has made me hesitate.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:37 PM
tcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Arerrac911
Only concern for me now is the Porsche warranty...
Mmmhhhh, I di dnot even think about the warranty issues...

I wonder what warranty adding grilles could void? Maybe the warranty on the plastic insert that you will put the screws in?

I really don't see how they could void the warranty on the engine because you put grilles in there... Particularly when they do have grilles on many of their 911 variants.

T.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by BlueJay73
They do look good, and worthwhile to protect against an expensive radiator puncture, as well as to keep out debris, but...

Now, how can you clean behind them, the smaller bits of leaves, cig butts, rocks that can make ther way through the holes?

I considered getting some grills, but the above issue has made me hesitate.
If it is just a money thing, you should look up the price for a radiator... It is not really that expensive and is fairly easy to replace. For me, the bigger issue was that I did not want the hassle of the breakdown itself. Particularly when at the track and you have already paid for track time, hotel, transportation, etc. in that situation a pierced radiator would mean a completely wasted track weekend. That was the clincher.

As far as cleaning, I have to say... I was also a little worried about that because taking the bumper off is a royal pain in the a**...

But, I am not sure who decided to use what size mesh for these grilles but so far, it seems to be the perfect shape and size. It doesn't let in the bigger rocks, only the small stuff and the occasional bug or leaf dries quickly and then just crumbles when I shoot some water in there using a garden hose. So I just keep hosing in there until all the sand and debris leak out from the bottom. That seems to work so far for me. Note that pressured air from a compressor will also dislodge most of the particles and they will come out the same way they came in - but water just seems less harsh on the paint than sandblasting .

HTH,

T.