997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Cup Holder Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 07:28 AM
MrLister is infamous around these parts
MrLister

Two cap screws hold the assembly in place. You can access them easily with the glove box door open.
The 3D printer fix seems like the most cost effective solution to fixing a broken catch latch. Does anyone know if the part is available?

Old 02-14-2015, 09:09 PM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
OK, I'm going to bump this in hopes someone will at least get me pointed in the right direction toward removing this assembly. I could not find this info in a search...

Old 02-14-2015, 10:32 PM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
I found instructions over on planet9. Pretty easy. Good thing my assembly only needed to be lubricated. All is well again

Old 02-16-2015, 06:22 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by thackl
I found instructions over on planet9. Pretty easy. Good thing my assembly only needed to be lubricated. All is well again
+ 1 on lubricating the locking mechanism. Fixed my that way a few years back and have not had any issues since and my cup is pushing 8 yrs old amd I use it regularly. Used Krytox perminant lub. Expensive but worth every penny if you don't want to have to lub something over and over again.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:23 PM
JCGMS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by thackl
Guys I searched over on Planet-9 and couldn't find it, honest. Anyone have the link or the tip?

Old 02-17-2015, 07:08 PM
wseikow is infamous around these parts
I have a couple of printers, but my cup holder is not broken

Old 04-14-2016, 02:09 PM
coquitlam1 is a glorious beacon of lightcoquitlam1 is a glorious beacon of lightcoquitlam1 is a glorious beacon of lightcoquitlam1 is a glorious beacon of lightcoquitlam1 is a glorious beacon of lightcoquitlam1 is a glorious beacon of light
hi, there, I had the same issue for closing the latch. Can someone tell me how to lub the locking mechanism? Do I need to take out the whole parts? Thanks.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:21 PM
rodH is infamous around these parts
My cup holder on my 997.1 does same thing. Very difficult to close and get it right. So I just never use it. Too afraid I won't beable to close it again

Old 04-15-2016, 07:44 AM
markj is a jewel in the roughmarkj is a jewel in the roughmarkj is a jewel in the roughmarkj is a jewel in the rough
I will probably confuse the issue more than help .... but I once put in a soft drink bottle that had a slender middle. Some little piece/flap in the porsche cup holder opened on the slender part of the bottle and jammed the bottle in. When I forced the bottle out, the little piece (sorry no pics) came flying out, broke. I looked at the other drink holder, and the little piece had already been removed by the PO. It is a small 1 inch long piece that is pushed down when you put a cup in. But if the center of the cup/bottle is slender, the little piece can re-open and it will not point upwards, thus your bottle becomes jammed. Since both of these little pieces are now taken off, my cup holders work perfect. So if this makes any sense, remove those small flaps found in your open cup holders, one inside each cup holder.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:55 AM
MrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud of
When I took my car apart, that was one of the many things that were not put back in it.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:52 AM
Bskyoon is infamous around these parts
Kicking this dead horse

Ok so I've had this problem for about a year and my solution was just not using it. However, I designed that annoying pin on sketchup to exact specs and so close to producing these little things that will save you all $$ and headaches. One problem, computer glitches are preventing me from calibrating my 3D printer to print such a small part. Anyone with a 3D printer want to give it a try? I'll gladly pay for shipping and a few bucks for the time/PLA. I've attached the sketchup and DAE files for anyone who wants to give it shot.

Attached Files
File Type: zip
PIN997.zip (151.2 KB, 254 views)
Old 10-10-2017, 10:46 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
In a GT3? Why?

Old 05-31-2023, 04:51 PM
aka4ihenry is infamous around these parts
Cup holder problem

This might fixed the problem. Located the center piece, open the right cup holder and put your finger on the right side of the center piece and try to push a tiny lever to re-set the mechanism.

Old 09-29-2023, 05:39 AM
Mike Att is infamous around these parts
Mine was wear in the white Delrin cam, I used this video as a quick and simple repair that's worked perfectly