997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Cup Holder Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 08:02 AM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
Cup Holder Problem

I am on my second 2007 997 and I have had the same problem in both of them. My C4S cupholder latch would not always go back and latch and i had to have it replaced under warranty because the catch mechanism was failing. Sold the car and got the GT3, but now it is doing the same thing. Has anyone else had this problem? I know it's a small thing, but just curious if anyone else has had the same problem Two cars seems a little bit like there may be a problem with these things.

As always, thanks for the feedback.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:38 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
Ah yes, one of my main frustrations with my '05 997S (admittedly this is a minor thing but frustrating nonetheless). It's gotten so bad I try to avoid using the cup holders at all because I'm afraid I'll never be able to snap the trim strip back in place!

My car is out of warranty, and the dealer just wants to replace the cup holder assembly (big $$$), so I'm just living with it but have found some tricks that seem to work.

1) If you extend the right side (closest to passenger door) cup holder and feel the side of the small black block between the two cup holders, you will notice a little pin that slides up and down. If you slide it all the way in the up position, and then try to close everything I seem to have better luck. Don't know exactly why!?!

2) I noticed the trim strip that runs across the length of the assembly has a slight play left/right. Try shifting it to the extreme left/right as you flip it up to click in place. I think the problem is because the trim piece shifts to one side and doesn't catch the latch to click in.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:48 PM
IslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of light
Ive had no problems yet but is this caused by overloading with heavy drinks, or some other cause? I dont use tbe holders often.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:43 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
Originally Posted by IslandS62
Ive had no problems yet but is this caused by overloading with heavy drinks, or some other cause? I dont use tbe holders often.
Not sure what is causing it, but it could be that the drinks are pulling it out of alignment somehow.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:56 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
I never use it - too many horror stories about spills and sloshes getting into the PCM.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I never use it - too many horror stories about spills and sloshes getting into the PCM.
Same here, it's not a problem if you don't use it.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:11 PM
MrLister is infamous around these parts
failed cup holder door touch latch

I bought a 2008, C4S about a year ago. After a few weeks with the car the touch latch on the cup holder door broke. I pulled it from the car and disassembled it to find a small plastic part had broken. The part that holds the door closed. To my dismay Porsche does not sell the internal parts,.. just the whole assembly. Can't see paying $200 or more for a $0.35 part. There has to be a sourcce for this part, but I cant find a thing on the internet. Does anyone have a resource where I might find the correct part?

Old 04-08-2012, 06:52 PM
chudso is infamous around these parts
I've had my cup holder replaced twice, under warrantee, in less than 6 months.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:31 PM
MrLister is infamous around these parts
It's frustrating. Such a small thing, but you want the car to be whole and done right,... without spending a lot.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:12 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
I can't believe a GT3 has a cup holder. My Boxster's did but not my Carrera.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I'm surprised they put one in the GT3

Old 04-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by MrLister
To my dismay Porsche does not sell the internal parts,.. just the whole assembly. Can't see paying $200 or more for a $0.35 part. There has to be a sourcce for this part, but I cant find a thing on the internet. Does anyone have a resource where I might find the correct part?
Its precisely for this niggly little stuff that 3d printers are such a great thing.. and the home versions are getting cheaper and cheaper with things like makerbot. One can get a 3d printer for benchtop use and print out a nylon replacement part, if you can get the original modeled in the computer. So someone with a printer, access to a laser 3d scanner and the desire, could make a decent business out of printing and delivering replacement parts for $30.

If someone doesn't start such a business soon, I may have to get into the fray.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:57 PM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
Originally Posted by JTaylorGT
Ah yes, one of my main frustrations with my '05 997S (admittedly this is a minor thing but frustrating nonetheless). It's gotten so bad I try to avoid using the cup holders at all because I'm afraid I'll never be able to snap the trim strip back in place!

My car is out of warranty, and the dealer just wants to replace the cup holder assembly (big $$$), so I'm just living with it but have found some tricks that seem to work.

1) If you extend the right side (closest to passenger door) cup holder and feel the side of the small black block between the two cup holders, you will notice a little pin that slides up and down. If you slide it all the way in the up position, and then try to close everything I seem to have better luck. Don't know exactly why!?!

2) I noticed the trim strip that runs across the length of the assembly has a slight play left/right. Try shifting it to the extreme left/right as you flip it up to click in place. I think the problem is because the trim piece shifts to one side and doesn't catch the latch to click in.

Hope that helps.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I've been using my cup holders regularly for 4 yrs and never an issue until this morning. Neither of the above tricks worked. Maybe somebody could start me right direction for removing the assembly?

Old 02-13-2015, 06:27 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Use the cup holder that was in the 1980s-1998ish Carrera's, BETWEEN YOUR LEGS!

Old 02-13-2015, 07:12 AM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
Only if it's McDonald's coffee

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cup Holder Problem