997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Stock wheels at trade-in ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 10:22 AM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
Stock wheels at trade-in ...

Was talking to my sales guy yesterday, and the subject of wheels came up (doesn't it always).. Just out of curiosity I asked him about trading a 911 with aftermarket vs stock wheels (I'm not considering trading, I was merely curious).

He was adamant when he told me that the overwhelming number of guys who walk into a Porsche dealer looking for a used 911 want the car to be 'stock', or as close to stock as possible.

The really interesting thing he told me is that unless the car has factory Porsche wheels on it at trade-in, it can't be 'certified' as a CPO car, which effectively eliminates a lot of potential buyers, which may impact your trade-in value.

Bottom line, when you put those really cool aftermarket wheels on your 911, you might want to keep and remount the stock wheels on the car when it comes time to trade.

Of course none of this applies if you sell the car yourself.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:28 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
I know there are things that will automatically eliminate the chance for CPO, I'm not sure if every wheel qualifies. Reason I say this is, many dealers sell aftermarket wheels on new rides at delivery and some put them on in the show room and add it to the price. Wouldn't seem fair to sell the car new with HRE wheels and then tell that same customer he/she will lose on the trade in as they can't CPO it.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:44 PM
IslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of light
Not all aftermarket wheels are created equal. From a dealer perspective, i can see their point of view.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:04 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
This might sound counterintuitive, but I can understand the logic. While some aftermarket wheels might look better and/or be worth more than stock (especially base wheels), modified cars do raise questions of use & reliability to buyers, even when it's just the wheels.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Vegasguy is infamous around these parts
Before I purchased from the dealer HRE wheels (597R) for my '10 C2S Cab., I discussed this very issue with the used car manager. He stated that the premium wheels would add about $2000 - $2500 to the value of the car if I traded it in later. I've always been happy with the Las Vegas dealer, and have no reason to doubt the information.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:04 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
That is why I hung on my my Classics, just it case!

Old 06-19-2011, 05:48 PM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Vegasguy
Before I purchased from the dealer HRE wheels (597R) for my '10 C2S Cab., I discussed this very issue with the used car manager. He stated that the premium wheels would add about $2000 - $2500 to the value of the car if I traded it in later. I've always been happy with the Las Vegas dealer, and have no reason to doubt the information.

Hope this helps.
I'm not saying it might not add value to your car if you have $4-5K in high-end wheels. His point was that regardless of what aftermarket wheels are on the car, it can't be CPO'd by Porsche. I suppose I too, can understand their logic.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:55 PM
997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice997C2SM is just really nice
I have never sold my stock wheels on any car for this reason.
My Carrera II's are in storage and will definitely be available for private or trade transaction. My dealer didn't even want to do my last trade unless I had stock wheels.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:25 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Yep .. your sales guy is right . My PDK car even has stock wheels but can't be "certified" .
My Turbo lost its certification potential years ago .

Yet ...
Let a person drive a stock 07 Turbo or a stock 09 997S and then try mine and see which one he wants to buy . In fact usually mods are a deterrent at trade in yet I seem to get offered 15 percent of what I paid for my mods on top of a standard trade in number on cars that i modified . More interestingly is that every time i have ever traded in a modded car they all wanted to drive it after i signed it over .

conclusion -- if a person takes care of his car , drives it with hopes of preserving it , and puts quality parts on the car installed by a certified reputable professional who has talent ... if he retains all the documentation to show the effort and expense ..... everyone wants that car .

That includes wheels too.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Vegasguy is infamous around these parts
As I posted earlier, before I put aftermarket wheels on my P-Car, I discussed it with the local Porsche used car manager. Now being also curious, I re-contacted him and specifcally asked about the CPO issue. He confirmed that Porsche will only certifiy vehicles with stock wheels (and other stock parts). He added, however, that the CPO issue does not generally "devalue" the appraisal of a P-car at trade-in because, while some buyers looking for a "previously enjoyed" P-car would be concerned about the CPO, most would be more interested in the appropriateness, competence and quality of the aftermarket work (as Yrralis1 pointed out.)

Old 06-21-2011, 09:23 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Yep .. your sales guy is right . My PDK car even has stock wheels but can't be "certified" .
My Turbo lost its certification potential years ago .

Yet ...
Let a person drive a stock 07 Turbo or a stock 09 997S and then try mine and see which one he wants to buy . In fact usually mods are a deterrent at trade in yet I seem to get offered 15 percent of what I paid for my mods on top of a standard trade in number on cars that i modified . More interestingly is that every time i have ever traded in a modded car they all wanted to drive it after i signed it over .

conclusion -- if a person takes care of his car , drives it with hopes of preserving it , and puts quality parts on the car installed by a certified reputable professional who has talent ... if he retains all the documentation to show the effort and expense ..... everyone wants that car .

That includes wheels too.
Not everyone wants a used modified car, regardless of the mods. You need to find the right buyer that would know what each part is truly worth, and likely would be going in that direction themselves.

Conclusion, don't own a car with the idea of preserving it for the next guy, drive the car the way you want to, enjoy it and then return it to stock and sell it, sell the parts separately.