997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

From 997.2 C4S to 996 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:51 PM
zoomzoommo is infamous around these parts
OP response?

Old 06-21-2011, 05:14 PM
drifter12 is infamous around these parts
having driven both the 996 and 997tts recently, the 7 feels a lot more like a touring car, more refined and comfortable, but still w that incredible thrust on tap. the fit and finish really makes the 996 feel dated IMO.

personally i would wait until the 7tt drops a bit more and trade in the NA car. but i think it's also a question of priority on saving that $25-30k between the 6 and 7.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:01 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rodsky
NFW. Sorry, can't think of any reason to do it.
If the OP is looking to mod for big HP, the 996TT platform is hard to beat. The N/A 997 PDKs can't hold a candle to the 996TT when it comes to potential gains from modifications.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:05 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
If the OP is looking to mod for big HP, the 996TT platform is hard to beat. The N/A 997 PDKs can't hold a candle to the 996TT when it comes to potential gains from modifications.
Why not a 6sp 997 TT?

Old 06-21-2011, 06:05 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by adias
The C4S PDK is faster.
The C4S PDK is nearly 2 seconds slower to 200 km/h than the 996TT S.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:11 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
How hard did you look to find a stat that backed up your position?

What is the 0-60 time?

Or yet, more realistic, what is the 40-80mph time (because that's where the majority of people spend their time).

Old 06-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
How hard did you look to find a stat that backed up your position?

What is the 0-60 time?

Or yet, more realistic, what is the 40-80mph time (because that's where the majority of people spend their time).
To your first post, it actually took about 20 seconds - fastestlaps.com...and before we go arguing about different tests, different days...2 seconds is a LIFETIME. The times may actually be closer, but I doubt it would cover 2 seconds.

To address your second point...I am simply responding to adias' comment about which car is "faster" (we all know the phrase has may meanings...faster from a roll? faster from a dig? faster on the track? faster at burning oil, lol?)

bob

Old 06-21-2011, 06:28 PM
To your first post, it actually took about 20 seconds - fastestlaps.com...and before we go arguing about different tests, different days...2 seconds is a LIFETIME. The times may actually be closer, but I doubt it would cover 2 seconds.

To address your second point...I am simply responding to adias' comment about which car is "faster" (we all know the phrase has may meanings...faster from a roll? faster from a dig? faster on the track? faster at burning oil, lol?)

bob
lol! I was just giving you a hard time. You're right, if 2 secs is the gap to a given speed, a gap of a lesser degree will still be there at earlier intervals.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
lol! I was just giving you a hard time. You're right, if 2 secs is the gap to a given speed, a gap of a lesser degree will still be there at earlier intervals.
There is actually a m5board video with the CS PDK versus a 996TT, and the PDK came out slighty ahead...but the C4S is definitely heavier (compared to the C2S), and the 996TT S has bigger turbos, better ICs, big bump in power (compared to a standard 996TT.)

Last edited by bbywu; 06-21-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:53 PM
major c2s has a spectacular aura aboutmajor c2s has a spectacular aura about
Thanks to everyone who cared to answer my question. Seems like the consensus is not to do it. What attracts me to 996 Turbo S is:
1. Rarity - only 598 coupes were made
2. PCCB
3. Spare wheel and tire
4. Great platform for mods

I didn't really care about the comment made by Scott997 about learning how to drive what I've got. True, I haven't driven an NJMP but I have driven at Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Pocono, Barber Motorsports, Beavers Run, etc. I am not so sure that driving an NJMP qualifies as a right of passage.

I am still on the fence. But since so many of you guys responded, what are your opinions on relative $$ values? What is my car worth vs. the Turbo S?

Old 06-21-2011, 08:09 PM
stockid is infamous around these partsstockid is infamous around these parts
It seems to me your primary concern is speed and mods. If that is so go and get your 996 turbo s. Personally I would stick with the 997 but that's me. If I were to trade I'd probably go for the 997 turbo.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:13 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
I would take those stats with a grain of salt. The only test that counts is 2 cars driven the same day, same track, same conditions, by same driver. Tests done times apart, in different conditions are meaningless, IMO.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:39 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
As a second car, weekend car, track car, you could probably have a lot less money sitting in the garage. You wouldn't bring it up unless you had a 996tt available. Demand for the 997s is strong so the resale shouldn't be huge issue. Sounds like an option that could be fun. Also you would get out of the 997.2 before it drops in value.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by adias
I would take those stats with a grain of salt. The only test that counts is 2 cars driven the same day, same track, same conditions, by same driver. Tests done times apart, in different conditions are meaningless, IMO.
I understand this argument...and if we had datalogs of the runs, we could compare the details.

Here is my counter point. 2 seconds is an eternity in a 0-124 mph run....even on the best conditions for the C4S PDK and worst conditions for the 996TTS, I would find that the two cars are equal at worst. Here's why I believe so - I have yet to see a PDK C4S break into the 11s, or trap > 115, which the 996TTS can do routinely. Since at the end of a quarter mile run the 996TTS is at a velocity faster than the PDK C4S, and as achieved the distance in a shorter period of time, it will routinely reach 124mph (200km/h) faster.

Last edited by bbywu; 06-21-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:46 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I agree with Bobby on this .

My reasoning favoring C4S over the 996tt S was for other reasons.. speed was not a main factor . They are as follows (not in any order of importance)

1) The headlights are not only atrocious looking (opinion) but they can be easily stolen (as I learned with my 2002 996) .

2) The interior is flimsy, the leather wears , the strereo dated , and it actually feels cheap considering the MSRP of these cars was quite expensive.

3) It's an older car .. and with age it takes more to maintain.

4) Modding a Turbo S is expensive .

5) The body structure of the 996 was improved in the 997.

6) PDK is a ideal for street driving . PCM is ideal for todays techno .

7) 997tt is faster than a 996tt so why buy the slower , older more dated car ? If starting fresh why not start with the faster 997tt which has the more modern gear and warranty ?

8) There's nothing exceptional about the 996 . In fact the model line was controversial iof anything and the 997 was welcomed . If one wanted to go back in time why not buy a 993tt ? In fact a 993tt S is an air cooled rare gem of an icon Turbo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: From 997.2 C4S to 996 Turbo S