997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Extended Warranty, keep or cancel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 08:49 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by v35
So I just called the warranty company, and my prorated refund would actually only be $2100. It's less of a refund than I calculated so i'm going to just keep it till it expires March 2013/77,500 miles and drive worry-free until then. My clutch still feels good so I'll let it ride and just replace it along with everything else when it needs to be done rather than now. Thanks for all the advice!
Best of luck. Hopefully you and I never have to fall back on the warranty but it's a nice safety net to have. Sheeit my Fidelity agent is right next door to the Porsche dealership. I don't know whether that's reassuring or disconcerting but officially his office is in the Jag dealership

Old 06-23-2011, 09:47 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by v35
So I just called the warranty company, and my prorated refund would actually only be $2100. It's less of a refund than I calculated so i'm going to just keep it till it expires March 2013/77,500 miles and drive worry-free until then. My clutch still feels good so I'll let it ride and just replace it along with everything else when it needs to be done rather than now. Thanks for all the advice!
Just to give you a head's up, if you have all sorts of mods on your car, you run the risk of your warranty being voided if an inspector does come out when you make a claim so you may want to look into that. I had a warranty voided after an inspector saw aftermarket suspension and cat back exhaust.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:17 PM
lowflyby is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by surfah
IMO the extended warranty also makes my car more attractive for resale if I choose to go that route. If not the prorated amount is reimbursable.
In So Cal. Can you tell me where you got your warranty? I've been quoted much more.
Thanks

Old 06-24-2011, 08:55 AM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mkaraoglan
The clutch was only being replaced to to a valet abuse and my clutch still and a lot of life in it.
Marc,

OMG this fricken is unbelievable - valets hosing your clutch!! You should post your experience in my other thread about valets...!

Ron

Old 06-24-2011, 12:51 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lowflyby
In So Cal. Can you tell me where you got your warranty? I've been quoted much more.
Thanks
Check your PM.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:52 PM
lowflyby is infamous around these parts
Check your PM.
Thanks. Can't PM, not enough posts. Checked With them and much higher price. Can you send me a contact?
Thanks again.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Need4Speed12 is infamous around these parts
I live in the Houston Area. Recently purchased an 06 C2S with 42K miles. Was also looking into an aftermarket warranty. Does anyone have any recommendations on a company i should look into? Thanks in advance...

Old 08-02-2011, 03:07 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Need4Speed12
I live in the Houston Area. Recently purchased an 06 C2S with 42K miles. Was also looking into an aftermarket warranty. Does anyone have any recommendations on a company i should look into? Thanks in advance...
Call Porsche of North Houston they sell after market warranties.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:26 PM
stack24 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by lowflyby
Thanks
I called Newport Beach Porsche when I was going to get mine done and they said that they sell EasyCare out of their dealership but you have to get an oil change and inspection before they issue it.

Since they have a deal with them I figure that it would make things a lot easier to get fixed through them and not deal with adjusters since they have a working relationship with the dealership.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by stack24
I called Newport Beach Porsche when I was going to get mine done and they said that they sell EasyCare out of their dealership but you have to get an oil change and inspection before they issue it.

Since they have a deal with them I figure that it would make things a lot easier to get fixed through them and not deal with adjusters since they have a working relationship with the dealership.
Yep, this is exactly why I went with Easycare for Honda Element and Fidelity with Porsche. My Porsche service manager commented on how much easier it was to deal with Fidelity (which is next door to dealership) as I originally was going to go with Easycare since I already had a policy with them for the Element. Makes sense as they have a close working relationship regarding reimbursement for extended warranty coverage without the middleman.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:23 PM
p997c is infamous around these partsp997c is infamous around these parts
I purchased Fidelity from Porsche dealer for around $1200 a year when I purchased mine 2007 997.1 manual used around 24K miles last year. Actually,I am thinking the same question if I should keep it or not. Since this is my first P car, I don't know if electronic device will be the main concern or not (heard from some people that glitch may happen time to time) besides engine. According to your experience, what would you do? I don't go to the track. drive around 3K miles a year probably.
thanks for your inputs

Old 01-31-2012, 07:38 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by p997c
I purchased Fidelity from Porsche dealer for around $1200 a year when I purchased mine 2007 997.1 manual used around 24K miles last year. Actually,I am thinking the same question if I should keep it or not. Since this is my first P car, I don't know if electronic device will be the main concern or not (heard from some people that glitch may happen time to time) besides engine. According to your experience, what would you do? I don't go to the track. drive around 3K miles a year probably.
thanks for your inputs
Since you have an '07, you may find that your TPMS will start to crap out. My '06 just had all of the sensors replaced under warranty for just over $1000. I would keep it for piece of mind. Expect the unexpected.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
My colleague bemoaned not having an extended warranty when his Turbo required a $5000 repair service.
So if you figure the warranty cost $2500, and covered 100% of the cost, he would have had to pay $2500 of his additional funds.

But how likely was it really for that repair?

If you have driven your car well during the warranty you get from the factory/dealer you should have uncovered any existing issues. Then its just a matter of finding out if there is some highly occurring systemic problem for our model and the odds of you getting hit with it.

If 1/2 the cars of that model line have the $5000 repair, its worth getting that warranty. If 10% of them get hit with that failure, the odds are in your favor to not get the warranty.