997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Speaker, amp, and high-end audio upgrades - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 02:10 PM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
vanadiums

P 365

Old 06-25-2011, 03:33 PM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
Call me if you want to discuss 847-293 8068 Roman

Old 06-27-2011, 09:57 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gu9cci
Call me if you want to discuss 847-293 8068 Roman
Thanks, man. I'll prob hit you up once I get the vehicle. BTW, did you put a big sub anywhere? or just use the Bose factory sub?

Old 06-29-2011, 12:16 AM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gu9cci
P 365
So your set was:
6.5" woofer
4" midrange
1" tweeter

any dynamat in the doors?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:32 AM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
Guys - I'm on a stereo research mission as well... while there are many arguments that it's a Porsche with bad acoustics, and you should listen to the exhaust, etc. etc., there has been a TON of success with audio upgrades. It's just a matter of digging around to find them. One thing I stumbled on is the planet-9 forums. Mostly 987 activity over there, but it seems the Cayman/Boxter audio is almost identical to the 997 audio.

One thread in particular that I found useful: http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...-answered.html

This thread links to several other threads and pulls together most of the useful info. But if you do a search over there, you'll find dozens of people who have upgraded their system.

I am usually a "keep it stock" guy, but I am now almost 100% convinced that I will be swapping out the head unit. Loi at Euromotorspeed makes a bezel and factory wiring harness kit that seems to make the swap a very doable DIY. Adding an amp and speakers is just wiring and door panel removal - there are threads on that as well. Although many seem to say that cleaning up the power source yields a huge improvement.

Good luck I think this will be a fun project. Could I spend the money on things like 200cel Cats and ECU tune? Sure. But my car does dual duty between track and street, and I like electronics and a good project!

-Mike

Old 06-30-2011, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by rye595
One thread in particular that I found useful: http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...-answered.html
-Mike
Good link, especially the measurements of the 6.5" cutout. Now, how the heck do I get a full-range low-level line-out signal from the stock head unit?

Old 06-30-2011, 08:56 AM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
Without replacing PCM, the only option is to take speaker level inputs, feed them into a signal processing device like a JL Audio Cleansweep or JBL MS-8 and then feed the resulting cleaned up signal into an amp. I actually didn't think I'd ever want to mess with the stock look of my car, but am realizing that it would be cleaner to replace the head unit. Looks as good as stock inside with the bezel, and allows you to remove the giant nav unit in the trunk, and all you need is an amp, which will fit tucked away under the plastic. No need to fill the trunk with electronics.

Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I've got the bug. I think I just need a project

Old 06-30-2011, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by rye595
Without replacing PCM, the only option is to take speaker level inputs, feed them into a signal processing device like a JL Audio Cleansweep or JBL MS-8 and then feed the resulting cleaned up signal into an amp. I actually didn't think I'd ever want to mess with the stock look of my car, but am realizing that it would be cleaner to replace the head unit. Looks as good as stock inside with the bezel, and allows you to remove the giant nav unit in the trunk, and all you need is an amp, which will fit tucked away under the plastic. No need to fill the trunk with electronics.

Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I've got the bug. I think I just need a project
That's what I was afraid of. Okay, so does anyone have a wiring diagram for the high-level outputs that go to the OEM amplifier?

Old 06-30-2011, 02:41 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Good link, especially the measurements of the 6.5" cutout. Now, how the heck do I get a full-range low-level line-out signal from the stock head unit?
nohow, they do not have then. stock PCM spits out standard 4 channel signal, out of its own internal amp. so you need to disconnect plug from PCM and wire new wires into frunk to feed those 4 channels into new amp, then you can use existing wires to feed signal from amp back to speakers. in stock wiing it is all very weirdly mixed together.

you will most likely loose center speaker as it gets composed by stock amp and i do not know any aftermarket units that could do this. you also will need to install your own crossovers, in stock they put all speakers on same line like x-mass lights.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
nohow, they do not have then. stock PCM spits out standard 4 channel signal, out of its own internal amp. so you need to disconnect plug from PCM and wire new wires into frunk to feed those 4 channels into new amp, then you can use existing wires to feed signal from amp back to speakers. in stock wiing it is all very weirdly mixed together.

you will most likely loose center speaker as it gets composed by stock amp and i do not know any aftermarket units that could do this. you also will need to install your own crossovers, in stock they put all speakers on same line like x-mass lights.
For the Bose system, I understand that there are no passive crossovers, each speaker-level speaker is already crossed over and contains only signals for that speaker (highs only going to tweeter). Is this correct?

Also, what about the rear speaker signal. Is that a full-range signal by chance?

Last edited by gasongasoff; 07-01-2011 at 12:17 AM.