997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Speaker, amp, and high-end audio upgrades - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 05:42 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Speaker, amp, and high-end audio upgrades - recommendations?

I've read so many complaints here about the standard and Bose stereo, but I haven't been able to find much discussion about aftermarket audio upgrades.

Are there any threads I might have missed? Looking at the factory speakers, it looks pretty easy to jury rig a mounting bracket. The only problem would be shallow mounting depth and figuring out what would fit.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:59 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Hertz and Audison, if u have the money..

If u don't, enjoy the aftermarket exhaust (Cargraphics, AWE, etc)

Seriously tho, i enjoy the sound of the Bose more now with the Dension/Ipod hook up.

hard for me to listen to radio or CD anymore.

(search Dension or Eric/Bumperplugs)

Old 06-22-2011, 06:20 PM
gellie is infamous around these parts
I'm not a audiophile by any means. However I think the Bose is terrific! I have had the "high end" system in my Mercedes S500 and BMW 750 , and I think the Bose system for the Porsche is the best.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:07 PM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche bose audio is garbage.what is your budget?

Old 06-22-2011, 08:44 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gu9cci
Porsche bose audio is garbage.what is your budget?
Probably a few k. I already have some nice Alpine F#1 speakers I was hoping I could make work. Hard part will be getting a lineout signal from the factory stereo, especially a signal that isn't already electronically equalized for the speakers/cabin. I guess I could just bypass everything too and run my own wires. There's gotta be SOME porsche audiophiles out there!

Old 06-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
Hertz and Audison, if u have the money..

If u don't, enjoy the aftermarket exhaust (Cargraphics, AWE, etc)

Seriously tho, i enjoy the sound of the Bose more now with the Dension/Ipod hook up.

hard for me to listen to radio or CD anymore.

(search Dension or Eric/Bumperplugs)
Hertz, Audison - interesting, do they come as a set specifically for the 997?

Old 06-22-2011, 08:53 PM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
New headunit?amps?processor?

Old 06-23-2011, 11:09 AM
New headunit?amps?processor?
I have no idea where I could stick a head unit, so I'd probably just use the factory stereo interface. And yes, an amp would be necessary, and probably a mic/DSP-based correction device like the JBL MS-8 or the Alpine Imprint. Probably will do just 2 front channels and a sub. Anybody do something similar? Or maybe I should just take it to an audio shop. I'd rather not, though.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:38 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Hertz, Audison - interesting, do they come as a set specifically for the 997?
i don't think they have any plug-n-play for 997 PCM..

however, it will offer the best customized sound.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...son-audio.html

i've also considered upgrading the speakers and the amps and perhaps the headunit as well.. but ended up deciding to keep it as-is and just added the Dension unit for Ipod.

The 997 interior doesn't make for a best sound-room.. especially a convertible..lol

try this for info
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...se-system.html

BOL

Last edited by crazycarlitos; 06-23-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:32 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
focal speakers are good. put their midrange and woofers into doors.
for audio - any decent class D amp with digital ICE and sound processor with audissey or similar system. i think that new alpine combo with processor mdrums wrote about before is not bad at all. ditch subwoofer.

biggest problem would be to fix vibrations and reverberations in doors. honestly 997 car is not well suited for good audio, plus all good sounding stuff is quite heavy.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:45 PM
If you keep the oem head just go with processor as you mentioned.Ms8 would fork and have autotune.
I did go with Audison bitone.1and new speakers in front (3way) and sub.You dont want rears because front staging would be ruin.Also JL AUDIO HD amps are great for the size and sound.Easy to fit them.Stay away from focal tweeters they just too bright and you can hear fatigude.Take front doors panels out and dynamat them good.
I highly recomend dynaudio,rainbow,hat,morel for speaker setup.If you go active which i did is hard to tune 3 way and sub.Do your self favor and take the factory speakers out as number one upgrade and folow by amp and on.
For 3k you can have nice sound system.I start with headunit only and endup dumping 7k in my audio.Do this sound good?Omg i love the way how is sounding but always can be improoved.
Just my 2 cents

Old 06-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Sweet. What kind of speakers did you end up installing? Did you use factory locations? Did you have to modify the mounts?

If you keep the oem head just go with processor as you mentioned.Ms8 would fork and have autotune.
I did go with Audison bitone.1and new speakers in front (3way) and sub.You dont want rears because front staging would be ruin.Also JL AUDIO HD amps are great for the size and sound.Easy to fit them.Stay away from focal tweeters they just too bright and you can hear fatigude.Take front doors panels out and dynamat them good.
I highly recomend dynaudio,rainbow,hat,morel for speaker setup.If you go active which i did is hard to tune 3 way and sub.Do your self favor and take the factory speakers out as number one upgrade and folow by amp and on.
For 3k you can have nice sound system.I start with headunit only and endup dumping 7k in my audio.Do this sound good?Omg i love the way how is sounding but always can be improoved.
Just my 2 cents

Old 06-24-2011, 08:15 PM
I endup with rainbow vanadiums.I use the stock locations and grills.The fitment was ok just need some dremel,baffles and silicone.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:14 PM
I endup with rainbow vanadiums.I use the stock locations and grills.The fitment was ok just need some dremel,baffles and silicone.
OH that's encouraging. Do you remember which Vanadium's?
Were they 2-way (CS210, CS230, or CS265) or 3-way (CS 365)?

Do you have pictures, by chance?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
This is a really good thread. I'll have to sit down with a cup of coffee and read through it all. Thanks for linking it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Speaker, amp, and high-end audio upgrades - recommendations?