997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Opinions on a GTS I found.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Vintage TONE has a spectacular aura aboutVintage TONE has a spectacular aura aboutVintage TONE has a spectacular aura about
Opinions on a GTS I found.

Hi Folks..........Once again, I turn to the board for it's great advice.

I have recently found a brand new 2011 GTS. I was wondering if it is worth the extra cash over a c2s?

Also, what is the difference? Is it just the extra HP? I think the GTS is as wide as the Turbo, or possibly even the turbos body without obvious vents.

The car is beautiful-amazing.

Its a Cabriolet, manual.

I did a search on here, found out a bit, but nothing pointed to these exact questions. Thanks again.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:41 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Main differences:

* PowerKit (more power, torque) - not entirely noticeable, but it's there
* WB rear from C4/C4S
* Sports Exhaust is standard
* Centerlocks are standard (but no cost option to go with 5-lug)
* Alcantara interior & steering wheel

To me it's the perfect 911 as I wanted a WB, but not necessarily a C4S. As I have a 9yo daughter, I still need rear seats (GT3 doesn't), but the rear seats are actually a no-cost option. The Sports Exhaust sounds so good (even better with SharkWerks bypass - going on next week).

Those are the basics...

Old 06-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Cutters68 is infamous around these parts
KBB 2011 GTS First Drive remarks -
"The Carrera GTS shares its wide flanks and huge rubber with the Carrera 4's bodyshell, while propelled by the more conventional rear-wheel drive. Enjoying a 23 horsepower advantage when compared to the more pedestrian Carrera S, the GTS occupies that narrow gap between the 'S' to the south and Porsche's 435 horsepower GT3 to the north. And we'd dare you to recognize the horsepower deficiency if you haven't won the pole at LeMans.
At the end of the day, we were smitten by its personality - but unsure that the performance advantages equal the GTS' pricing disadvantage. A more pedestrian 911 Carrera comes in at under $80K, and in the hands of even a skilled owner will do 98 percent of what the GTS can accomplish - at 80-percent of the price. You pay your money, and you take your choice; we'll take a cooking 911 (or Cayman R) - and spend the balance on track days."

Old 06-22-2011, 07:47 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cutters68
"The Carrera GTS shares its wide flanks and huge rubber with the Carrera 4's bodyshell, while propelled by the more conventional rear-wheel drive. Enjoying a 23 horsepower advantage when compared to the more pedestrian Carrera S, the GTS occupies that narrow gap between the 'S' to the south and Porsche's 435 horsepower GT3 to the north. And we'd dare you to recognize the horsepower deficiency if you haven't won the pole at LeMans.
At the end of the day, we were smitten by its personality - but unsure that the performance advantages equal the GTS' pricing disadvantage. A more pedestrian 911 Carrera comes in at under $80K, and in the hands of even a skilled owner will do 98 percent of what the GTS can accomplish - at 80-percent of the price. You pay your money, and you take your choice; we'll take a cooking 911 (or Cayman R) - and spend the balance on track days."
...some common sense in that review...but the gts is one sharp car....

Old 06-22-2011, 08:00 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cutters68
Yeah, I agree with buckwheat - a ton of logic in this review.

BUT - this is what I see:
Originally Posted by wjohnson36
Main differences:

* PowerKit (more power, torque) - not entirely noticeable, but it's there
* WB rear from C4/C4S
* Sports Exhaust is standard
* Centerlocks are standard (but no cost option to go with 5-lug)
* Alcantara interior & steering wheel

To me it's the perfect 911 as I wanted a WB, but not necessarily a C4S. As I have a 9yo daughter, I still need rear seats (GT3 doesn't), but the rear seats are actually a no-cost option. The Sports Exhaust sounds so good (even better with SharkWerks bypass - going on next week).

Those are the basics...
Purely depends on the buyer... If you just 'know' that it is the car for you, there is no logic required - If you purchase another car, I believe you'll spend the next few years wondering 'what if', until the day you get one anyway...

I say - if it's the one you want - get it.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Jungwook is infamous around these parts
Tough choice because you know the 991 will be good~

But your's are happy thoughts as whilst you are muling over which 997 is better, there are millions and billions of people out there who can only dream of one ~SOMEDAY~.

GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-22-2011, 08:45 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Yeah, I agree with buckwheat - a ton of logic in this review.

BUT - this is what I see:

Purely depends on the buyer... If you just 'know' that it is the car for you, there is no logic required - If you purchase another car, I believe you'll spend the next few years wondering 'what if', until the day you get one anyway...

I say - if it's the one you want - get it.
i agree..if i was set on a new C2S I would take the plunge and go for the gts....i think the car is special enough that its worth it.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:47 PM
DCI
DCI is infamous around these parts
I've had my GTS cab for a couple of months now and I love it. It is my 3rd 997 and it's a keeper. To me, it's got a lot going for it, the beauty of the widebody, the power kit and PSE is great if you like to wind it out, the car sounds amazing.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:11 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Unless you have the money and obsession with max speed for a Turbo, GT2/3, this is it. Everything a 911 is meant to be. All other 911 models are superb vehicles in their own right, but this is the sharpest and most defined of the non-rear-spoiler'd versions.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:16 PM
I just hope I'm wise enough to never get rid of my GTS...

Old 06-22-2011, 09:23 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I think the GTS is as wide as the Turbo, or possibly even the turbos body without obvious vents.
I'd get the Turbo . GTS is everything that's been described on the thread but it is late to the party and the Turbo will not be launched along with the first 991 cars . In fact Porsche has built very few Turbos for 2012 which almost makes me wonder if it will go out of production for a year or two when the 991 launches (like they did with the 993 Turbo) .

In short .. it's more car , it's faster car, and it may just hold value better when no 991 Turbos are out yet .

One last thing .. I drove both my cars today back to back (first the Turbo then the 997S ) . I'd pick the Turbo without a second thought.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Atomic is infamous around these parts
A few things that sold me on the GTS, Centerlock wheels/black, SS door sills, Horsepower, RWD, Sport exhaust. Went from a 4S automatic, I like the feel of the RWD and the 6 speed. Plan on keeping this one

Old 06-23-2011, 08:19 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
I think the GTS is awesome and has a lot of standard features (noted above) that I would spec on any new 911 BUT I don't see the logic in building one now when the 991's are only 6-12 months away. If you absolutely have to have a 911 soon, I'd buy a pre-owned in the $50-70k range and decide next year whether to keep it or trade-in.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:07 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I personally feel that the GTS should be the C2, and that's it.

I think there should be a GTS RWD model and then a Turbo AWD model... Call it a day. (No 'S' models and packages that add $20k in options, just make everything as good as it can be, and be done with it)

All this other crap of 1524 model variations becomes a pain in the a$$ when it comes time to purchase on the secondary market.

(Just my opinion)

Old 06-23-2011, 11:48 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Get the GTS if u r in a market for a 2011 C2S !

Best bang for the buck right now.. and will hold value better later. IMO.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions on a GTS I found.