997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Leather retrofit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Nurburg611 is infamous around these partsNurburg611 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by burbel
I just finished getting all of my factory parts from Suncoast installed in my 911. Took around 3 months (for my daily driver) between removing the parts and getting every part installed back in the car, and driving around with the driving harness being exposed, scraping my knee on the sides of the shifter and the radio, well, it got old, quickly.

Was thinking - I have all the factory pieces, and bought double-reinforced boxes large enough to ship them, if anyone would like to buy some of the factory uncovered pieces to get wrapped so they could do this *without* removing their own interior and waiting. Then they could sell their original pieces to recoup their costs, rinse and repeat, and everyone that wants this mod done can get it completed with much less hassle.

I have the center console, console lid, pdk surround, sun visors, and dome light surround. Also have a PDK button steering wheel, if that helps anyone, all removed from a black 09 C4S with 21k miles. If anyone is interested just let me know, I'm sure we can work something out.

And feedback on the changes - the center console is nice, happy with that change, but funny I am most happy with the visors and the dome surround. Just find in normal driving I see those more. Aside from the (completely understandable) delay in receiving the parts from Sun Coast, that part of the process went well, as well.

Will try and snap photos when the sun comes back out. And think I will, to be complete, order the panels that go behind the door pull. Although that one isn't a DIY install.
Just so I get this straight - when you order let's say a OEM leather dash board at suncoast - is that a full replacement part that just needs to be installed or do they cover your existing dashboard in leather at the shop?

Old 12-29-2011, 03:21 PM
burbel is infamous around these parts
There was a clarification or two up above, but if you buy the OEM parts from Suncoast, they are the complete parts. You would only have parts recovered if you go with someone aftermarket, which a number of users on the forums have done. The price when I looked was around 25-40% of OEM for recovering your current pieces depending on whom you went with.

Just had the panels that go behind the door handles and window switches replaced yesterday at the dealer - managed to get it done for 2 hours of labor.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Nurburg611 is infamous around these partsNurburg611 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by burbel
There was a clarification or two up above, but if you buy the OEM parts from Suncoast, they are the complete parts. You would only have parts recovered if you go with someone aftermarket, which a number of users on the forums have done. The price when I looked was around 25-40% of OEM for recovering your current pieces depending on whom you went with.

Just had the panels that go behind the door handles and window switches replaced yesterday at the dealer - managed to get it done for 2 hours of labor.
Sorry - yes reading the second time I found it. But thanks for clarifying. So the reasoning for recovering the parts is to restore factory settings when selling the car?

Old 12-29-2011, 06:59 PM
I think the folks that recover the parts via aftermarket intend to leave them that way when/if they sell the car, but I suppose you could get a set of plastic pieces, have them covered, and keep the original to sell with the car either as extra parts or by replacing them before sale.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:07 AM
So when I compare full replacement parts with the factory options in the car configuartor (thankfully you can still check all the prices on 997.2 models on the Porsche website), it looks like you pay almost double. It's hard to match one on one but few examples I found is full leather sun visors for 1,000 vs. 575 factory, shift console trim 516 (now 410) vs. 260 factory.

Difference becomes bigger when you compare full leather option for 3,655 factory vs. piecing the parts together on suncoast (full dash board, radio, door handle, etc). However, I don't really know what exactly is included in the "full leather" option.

Going for all leather upgrades possible with replacement parts you can spend 9K vs. 5K in factory options it seems.

That's a lot of $$$

Did anyone do a full leather upgrade in a deviating color? Wonder how that looks like...

Old 12-30-2011, 11:52 AM
I have seen a few cars with full leather + deviating color, but none with for instance the leather pieces I replaced with full leather. Had I bought my 911 (or any Porsche) new I definitely would have done a true full leather interior, including things like the steering column surround and A-pillar caps. As it is, right now, I think I've got most everything covered that I can see easily, and it was just about $6k in parts.

Back a few years before I bought my 2009 (2008, I think) I checked out a Cayenne, and never gave it any serious thought because of how ... inexpensive ... the interior seemed to be. So I went and bought a Lexus instead. When I decided I wanted something sportier, I started looking at Caymans (the obvious choice, imo) but the interior had that same feel. When I saw a 911 with the full leather package, I realized that the full leather was very important to me.

Couldn't find a Cayman with full leather, so got a 911 with most of the leather bits. As odd as it sounds, saw this thread, and this got me started replacing other pieces of the interior with leather. And FWIW from my opinion, the dome light and sunroof control surround was the *most* important piece to replace. I see it the most, it changes my view of the interior the most, etc. That and getting rid of the airbag labels on the visors.