997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

C&D Tests the 991!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 12:05 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Bigger is definitely not better when it comes to sports cars.
And no manual parking brake is also wrong for a sports car.
Maybe Porsche is relegating the sports car moniker to the Cayman/Boxster and the 911 is becoming a GT? If so, just kill me now!
(But I do like the 7-speed manual)

Old 06-29-2011, 12:24 AM
vraxinus is infamous around these partsvraxinus is infamous around these parts
interior looks like panamera and cayenne..any exterior picts?

Old 06-29-2011, 12:48 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Verde
... (But I do like the 7-speed manual)

The 7 speed is a close-ratioed 6-speed + an overdrive, just like the PDK.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:14 AM
muerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to all
So far...not appealing to me. I will have to see it in person, but looks like the pattern is repeating. Every other Carrera series is a winner. Seems like they tend to stretch the design periodically and then based on fan base protest, they pull back a bit to the roots. As an example, 996 was moving into a new era for the 911. Funky headlights, water cooled, lose the hips, etc. Fan base was not impressed.
Didn't take long for Porsche to figure out the 997 would have to return to the round headlights, wider hips, etc. But...they got what they really wanted, acceptance of the water cooled engine.
My gut is that the 991 series will be similar...they are stretching the design. We may not like it, but when they pull back to the core (2018 or so), we will all love it.
Anyhow...may not even be 2 cents worth, but that's what I got...

Old 06-29-2011, 05:27 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
It mostly sounds good to me. Power will get better throughout the model run, weight is less, sits lower, etc. I like the raked windscreen, too. They didn't mention 997 'ring times. Anyone have that handy? 20s can be swapped for 19s and I probably would swap wheels anyway. Interior is not a deal breaker for me.
In the end, I don't have the cash, and won't, so it's a bit moot

Old 06-29-2011, 05:34 AM
machina has a spectacular aura aboutmachina has a spectacular aura about
I think it all looks great.

Was really hoping for more of a drop in weight, like they did with the Cayenne.

dr

Old 06-29-2011, 06:25 AM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
My .02 cents.. The 911 is becoming Porsche's "Grand Touring" car, and the Cayman is becoming their true "sports car". Exterior pics may confirm that.. When you're talking sports cars, bigger is not always better...

The jury's out until I lay eyes on one.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:26 AM
M3GT3RS is infamous around these parts
horrible interior. you have to differentiate it from the other models. Making the interior similar to the Cayenne or Panameria makes it looks bland. Glad I have the 997

Old 06-29-2011, 07:10 AM
Comet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to all
a large part of me wants to go out and buy a GT3RS 4.0 as I have a feeling it will be the last true grit sports car porsche will make and that just breaks my heart..

the interior looks like an Infiniti/Merc/Lexus
they are catering to old people who want the car as a status symbol..

I do like the hybrid engine idea though... if it performs!
no handbrake? it'll probably an extra..
I can't see how they will fit a manual transmission in a sporty way with that busy body center dash

Old 06-29-2011, 07:30 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
I'm curious to know how many 997 owners subconsciously want the 991 to "fail" so that they can feel good about their current vehicle. Coz if it is better than that may hurt the ego of some people.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:50 AM
Comet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to all
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
I'm curious to know how many 997 owners subconsciously want the 991 to "fail" so that they can feel good about their current vehicle. Coz if it is better than that may hurt the ego of some people.
that's not my position
I want the 991 to be full of win so I don't stay stuck with an older gen car!
I'm a bit of a status-***** when it comes to things like that

Old 06-29-2011, 07:52 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Comet
I can't see how they will fit a manual transmission in a sporty way with that busy body center dash
I've been wondering the same thing. The article mentions that the shifter sits higher, but is shorter so that the reach is reduced. Sort of the same model as Carrera GT (which the Panamera took cues from).

It's funny how we haven't seen any spy shots of interior w/ manual shifter. It seems as all have been PDK, so haven't seen how the stick looks and fits on the console.

Also looks like options to match center console paint schemes has been reduced, ala the Panamera and Cayenne. I'm sure those pieces will be available for custom colors just like the Panamera, but obviously won't have the same visual effect as we get with current painted center consoles. What I'm also interested in is how closely the next Boxster/Cayman interior will match the 991. This appears to be the new corporate interior design for Porsche. It's high-class, but loses it's inherent sportiness.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:01 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
electronic parking brake ? this must shave weight, but I still no likey.
Full length sunroof !! - long overdue homies
20" wheels are unnecessary - 19"s will suffice people
electronic steering...BAD - BMW Z4 had this and sucked
very modest power improvements - loss of torque on base C2
But better fuel economy

Old 06-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Ptarded is a jewel in the roughPtarded is a jewel in the roughPtarded is a jewel in the rough
991 Pics

Snagged photos from the article for your viewing pleasure!

Old 06-29-2011, 11:38 AM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
I like how they cover the crest on the steering wheel as if one wouldn't know it was a Porsche otherwise...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C&D Tests the 991!