997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

C&D Tests the 991!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Ptarded is a jewel in the roughPtarded is a jewel in the roughPtarded is a jewel in the rough
That does seem odd, unless they are covering up something new?

Old 06-29-2011, 11:44 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NYCEnglish

Too many buttons though - the last thing a sports car needs, in my opinion, is a busy interior...

yeah but that´s true Porsche philosphy.
buttons instead of I-drive, MMI all-in-on solutions. the shortest ways, direct, from button to function.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:01 PM
911CSLover is infamous around these parts911CSLover is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NYCEnglish
I'm sure it'll be faster and I'm sure I will want one but some dislikes:

Electronic steering
Electronic parking brake
Interior (thanks for the pic) looks terrible
7-speed manual!
Not sure about 20" yet...
I agree with everything here but the 7 speed. It'd be great to have OD for highways. That's how they achieve the major mileage improvements.

As an aside, I had a Lexus LS460 with electronic parking brake. I had two separate issues with it. 1.) The battery died once while it was engaged and I had to work on it for 45 minutes (remove the spare tire and some other bits to manually unscrew the brake) to disengage 2.) The unit broke once (separate issue) and I had to had to actually break it more, per the dealer, to disengage and drive it to the shop.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:35 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
I cant believe it, this is what I have been waiting for , i'm not a happy camper, I guess let me put in my order for a drop audi R8 instead, and get back my 1000 deposit, so far no good my .02 cents. But i will wait for the final results in sept....

Old 06-29-2011, 12:49 PM
IslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of light
I am fairly new to the Porsche family, but it seems to me this is the direction the sales numbers are driving Porsche to. If my memory serves, current 911 sales have a 60%+ take rate for PDK, and only 10% or less of Carrera owners track the cars. I would wait to see what kind of package they put together for the GT3 before we start pronouncing the death of the 911 as a pure sports car.

Although I agree electronic steering and parking brake would not be my choice.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:31 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rvhpno80
I cant believe it, this is what I have been waiting for , i'm not a happy camper, I guess let me put in my order for a drop audi R8 instead, and get back my 1000 deposit, so far no good my .02 cents. But i will wait for the final results in sept....
My thoughts exactly. Loyal 911 owner for 4 years but I don't like the direction Porsche is going with the 991. I'll render my verdict when I get to drive the 991 but Audi R8 is looking more attractive the more I read about the 991.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:48 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
I'm curious to know how many 997 owners subconsciously want the 991 to "fail" so that they can feel good about their current vehicle. Coz if it is better than that may hurt the ego of some people.
There's always that component and it's only human nature, but some of us react to what is a significant inflection point in the 911 evolution. These are: longer WB, electric steering, electric e-brake, sedan-like interior, to name the most important. These 3 items alone are a major departure from the classic sports car design. Putting aside the all-in-the-rear still unique architecture, what distinguishes the 991 from GTs offered by MB, AM, Jag, Audi?

I would hail the new car if it had the same WB or smaller, tidier/simplified interior, smaller size, and no added electronic gizmos (which add nothing to sport driving and perhaps lessen it). These changes are favoring the boulevard driver who buys Porsche for the badge and enviro concerns - that's all.

P.S. - 20" rims on the S? What's the sport value on that?

Last edited by adias; 06-29-2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Typos.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:50 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by adias
There's always that component and it's only human nature, but some of us react to what is we are seeing here a significant inflection point in the 911 evolution. These are: longer WB, electric steering, electric e-brake, sedan-like interior, to name the mots important. These 3 items alone are a major departure from the classic sports car design. Putting aside the all-in-the-rear still unique architecture, what distinguishes the 991 from GTs offered by MB, AM, Jag, Audi?

I would hail the new car if it had the same WB or smaller, tidier/simplified interior, smaller size, and no added electronic gizmos (which add nothing to sport driving and perhaps lessen it). These changes are favoring the boulevard driver who buys Porsche for the badge and enviro concerns - that's all.

P.S. - 20" rims on the S? What's the sport value on that?
I need to test drive of course but your post is spot on in many ways.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:25 PM
bdbdbd has a spectacular aura aboutbdbdbd has a spectacular aura about
I'm quite sure the the 991 will be an improvement but some things I'm still unsure about. At the moment, they seem a step back to me:

Electric E-Brake
With the "Old-style" handbrake, I always had peace of mind I could pull on it and it would always work regardless of the state of the battery, keys in ignition, or any other variable. Plus, there was the satisfying clicking of locking the brake when exiting the car.

20" inch wheels
I think this is a marketing effort to show more "bling". Bigger wheels mean more unsprung weight, meaning less performance (Rubber is lighter than steel). Still hope we can run smaller wheels.

7 speed manual
I think this is great and a major improvement over the 997. When you're cruising on the interstate (say around 85 mph, between LA and San Francisco), it's nice not to have the motor droning around 3,500-4,000 RPM). Plus, you'd have major fuel savings too.

Updated interior/electronics
If you read many postings here, you see many users complain how dated their Porsche electronics feel compared to MB, BMW, Honda, Nissan, etc. Better Bluetooth profiles, Navigation options, customizable settings are what the next generation of buyers are clamoring for. I think this is overall a good thing as it will let us enjoy the car more (i.e. better NAV which helps us find and avoid traffic jams).

Let's wait and see how things turn out in the fall.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Grant is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by adias
The 7 speed is a close-ratioed 6-speed + an overdrive, just like the PDK.
I'm still expecting (and hoping) that the next GT3 will have a true 7 speed close-ratio manual - it would benefit a bunch from that (narrow power band requires close ratios for best performance). Hoping for top speed to be achieved in 7th at power peak (~8k revs), unlike PDK where top speed is in 6th gear.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Bob (CT) is infamous around these parts
Anyone hear what the width will be? Will C2/C2S grow to the former width of the C4S?

Old 06-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Bob (CT)
Anyone hear what the width will be? Will C2/C2S grow to the former width of the C4S?
I think I read somewhere that the widebody will be used for the S (both C2S and C4S) and the C2 and C4 will use the old narrow width, instead of using widebody for the AWD cars.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by KonaKai
overall, disappointing specs. i was hoping (in the S) for at least 410hp, -100lbs weight.
I doubt you'd feel the difference of a 2.5% change in power and a 1.4% change in weight.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:47 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Grant
I doubt you'd feel the difference of a 2.5% change in power and a 1.4% change in weight.
Those two combined equate to an additional passenger in the car...which I definitely notice the difference in feel when I'm driving mine.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by wjohnson36
Those two combined equate to an additional passenger in the car...which I definitely notice the difference in feel when I'm driving mine.
With regard to straight-line acceleration, I calculated it'd be about like having a passenger who weighed 128 pounds. Not impossible to feel that in a 3,200 pound car, but not easy either.

For handling and braking, it'd be like having a 45 pound passenger.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C&D Tests the 991!