997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

DIY coolant refill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:34 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
DIY coolant refill

Hi,

I think I want to get 3rd radiator installed, i have it for a while in a box but have no idea how to put back coolant after you get some air in the lines - radiator install by iutself is not a difficult job but it definitely will result in a lot of coolant spilled and some air in the system how I see it.

I`ve heard you need to vacuum it out somehow before pouring new coolant in - what exactly is the process and tools requires to get it done?

Old 06-30-2011, 12:48 PM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
I don't believe you need vacuuming. If the car is resting on an horizontal surface, the expansion tank should be higher than the rest of the system. That is the way it is designed on every car and I do not see why Porsche would be different.

You may still get some bubbles trapped at the beginning with some gurgling noises, but these should go away after a while. And then you can top off the level, a little at a time.

Have you checked the repair manual?

Yves

Old 06-30-2011, 12:50 PM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
by the way, I have been thinking about adding that third radiator too, on my 2006 C4S. It gets very hot around here, we have days at 100+ and sitting in the traffic jams does not help.

So, please take pictures of the installation and share what you are doing to work around the issues.

Looking forward to reading you.

Yves

Old 06-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
You can purchase a tool to purge the system. Here's an example:
http://www.amazon.com/UView-550000-A.../dp/B0002SRH5G
If a couple of people go in on the purchase it's not a bad price.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:25 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by yvesvidal
by the way, I have been thinking about adding that third radiator too, on my 2006 C4S. It gets very hot around here, we have days at 100+ and sitting in the traffic jams does not help.

Yves
I don't think a 3rd radiator will help much if at all when sitting in a traffic jam. Radiators really work when air flows accross the fins... and that requires the car to move. Granted, sitting there the radiator will give off some heat to the surrounding ambient air, which will then heat up to the temp of the water and rise naturally out of the upper vent (assuming you are doing the bumper cover to properly vent that air). But that airflow is not at the pace of a moving car's airflow. Stand-still traffic; your electric fan over the engine is the cooling mechanism there.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:36 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
i need it for track events, on summer days engine gets quite hot.
as of how to install - here is a good DIY guide:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...carrera-s.html

Old 06-30-2011, 07:28 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Stand-still traffic; your electric fan over the engine is the cooling mechanism there.
The radiators in your fenders have fans. When I put the third radiator in my 09 C2S I had to cut holes in the underside of my bumper cover. The locations are already marked on the cover. I believe there were 5 of them. The third radiator for non GT3 cars is angled down to the rear.