997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Do I need to move to a GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:30 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Cattman
I love(d) my '05 997S, you know that- shoot, I shared hundreds of posts here about that. With the SC it was wicked.

But after a few DE's that went south for one mechanical failure or another (non-SC related), I am fed up. I need/ want something I can rely on to drive daily AND take to the track. Something with a more adaptable suspension.

I have lost some faith in the Carrera/ Carrera S to be that car. As it has become an increasingly better daily drive I fear it may have lost some of it's track competence.

The GT3 is built for the track, and can run at redline for hours on end, but I am not sure it's livable as a DD.

Am I nuts here, or is there something to this?
CATTMAN
it all depends of what is it you after. will gt3 give you faster laps? yes. will it make you a better driver? no. you can see majority of black group people run mostly in cars that are cheap to maintain. gt3 is not cheap to maintain, 997 street car is cheaper.

obviously track only dedicated car on a trailer is where all people end up, if it dies you just tow it back and sort if out later. using DD as track car or driving 'half track' build-up car like mine to track and back is, well, risky. I just got issue at last DE - got car repaired today - coil on cylinder 2 died, i thought it was MAF sensor but it was not. So there is no easy answer.

As of what car to choose to make a track rat out of it, especially if you are not going to do club racing and do not care of classification rules - I cannot tell. spec miata, spec boxster, e36 based track M3 car, gt3 car, cup car - you choose.

Any 997 street car can be fitted with gt3 suspension. my car has it, it handles very similar to gt3 car. body is less rigid but other than that - it handled exceptionally well. gt3 motor will give more power but question is - if you are not racing - what do you need this power for?

as of motors - if you think gt3 engines do not die or are issues free - you are pretty much mistaken. they just cost much more to repair and more difficult to prove if it was a non-track related damage. I woud say - define your budget first, define how much you can set aside monthly/annually for repairs and look for car that fits into this budget, or you may be frustrated.

And to add a final note - if $11K or so for used M96/M97 motor is too much for anyones budget - I would think twice about getting this 997 car to a track. every time you get there it can die, it is as simple as that. if this financial hit is too much - choose a cheaper car to run. all crs die. M3 cars die, porsches die, miatas die as well, even more and i saw plenty of it so far, almost at each event i attended. so I do not have much illusions about longivity or life expectations on a track car, still, i like it too much to stop doing it.
new gt3 motor will be in $45K area. 997 tranny is 3K, gt3 tranny is $20K+. Do all that math first. And spit in the eye to whomever who says that cars on a track do not die.

Last edited by utkinpol; 07-05-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:30 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
go for the GT3 !

if u find out u can't DD it later, just get any cheapie car/truck to DD.. and save the GT3 for the tracks.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:52 AM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Spec miata!!

Old 07-05-2011, 11:57 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sizquik
Spec miata!!
very cheap, a lot of fun, great field to run with and very easy to start racing it. i very much may end up there too as repairing 997 is, well, expensive. but costs to buy tow vehicle, trailer, storage, etc. infrastructure for spec car also costs money and, well, requires some serious family negotiations.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:06 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
OK, I may begin to look for a GT3.

I may be the first out there to retro-fit a rear shoulder belt in one, but that should be easily done as the anchor points are there. It's for my son's car seat, also likely a first in a GT3. If I go this route, I'll of course keep you updated with pics.

For now, my focus remains on figuring out what to do with my limping 997SC.
CATTMAN
There was a DIY step by step in the GT3 forum. If you need the rear seats, then stay with in the Carrera family. The only thing worse then have a GT3 that has never been tracked, is a GT3 with a back seat.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:28 PM
hmm. from what I know 997 gt3 does not have welded anchor points no more for rear seatbelts. they were there in 996 gt3 only. but i may be wrong.

gt3 as a DD car is an odd idea. low rpms torque will be less than on GTS car.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:41 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Cattman it seems you might think the GT3 engine is more reliable than a Carrera engine. I don't believe for street/de use this is the case. As for a DD car personally I could drive a GT3 everyday...that is having fun in life to me...do it while your young enough I say.

What did you ever fi d out as to why your super charged engine blew up?

Old 07-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Zimon is infamous around these parts
Same here. I was considering if I should I mod my 997.1 C2, or get a 997.2 C2S, or a 2007 GT3.

I ditched the first option after finding that the mods would cost almost as much as the upgrade to .2.

Then I got to drive the GT3 for a few hours. I dont think I could live with this car as a DD, it really is RAW, + it just seems out of place in many situations. And that clutch in traffic... hmm... What's more I'm pretty sure I could not finance the cost of racing the car on a regular basis. No way.

So my final decision is to get a 997 C2S PDK + a cheap racing car that I can beat to death at small events.

My current little Carrera Tiptronic is already a blast to drive daily and is more than enough for me on the track (2-3 times a year) so the upgraed to 997.2 is all I need.

BTW I just came home after the first (rainy) event in my little old BMW 3 series racer and it was just as much fun as tracking my 997. I also found out what a crappy driver I am and how much I still have to learn... In the Porsche everything is so perfectly set up that even problems with driving technique are not so apparent.

Check this http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=66rOXrdCAto

Old 07-05-2011, 05:07 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Zimon,

Great first post. Welcome. And thanks for posting the video.

BW

Old 07-05-2011, 07:29 PM
2fas4u is infamous around these parts
Exclamation limp?

OK, I may begin to look for a GT3.

I may be the first out there to retro-fit a rear shoulder belt in one, but that should be easily done as the anchor points are there. It's for my son's car seat, also likely a first in a GT3. If I go this route, I'll of course keep you updated with pics.

For now, my focus remains on figuring out what to do with my limping 997SC.
CATTMAN

what's the limp and or problem? maybe someone here can help...

Old 07-05-2011, 08:02 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2fas4u
what's the limp and or problem? maybe someone here can help...

Start with this tread

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ine-goner.html

Old 07-05-2011, 09:15 PM
T33
T33 is infamous around these parts
Why not wait for the 991? It should be close to the GT3 in performance and handling?

Old 07-05-2011, 09:59 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by T33
Why not wait for the 991? It should be close to the GT3 in performance and handling?
Really? The 997.1C2S has similar specs on paper as a 996GT3, but driven the same by the same level of driver, a 996 GT3 will clean up on a track.

The new 991 is bigger, and most likely heavier then then the 997, so my money is on a 997.1GT3.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:48 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
I vote for buying a dedicated track car. And a DD. If space is a problem, buy an enclosed trailer and keep the track car in it, off site if necessary. This is absolutely the smart way to go, trust me. There are 100 reasons for this

Old 07-06-2011, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Really? The 997.1C2S has similar specs on paper as a 996GT3, but driven the same by the same level of driver, a 996 GT3 will clean up on a track.

The new 991 is bigger, and most likely heavier then then the 997, so my money is on a 997.1GT3.
why 997.1? 997.2 is way better, its spasm is pretty perfectm sways are better and more power. people say withh minor work they get it to same 450 horses as with rs car.

but, well, buying into used beaten up gt3 car (and good luck finding one that wasn`t tracked) - imho gt3 car with expired warranty can bite you very hard, it will need quite serious financial reserves in case if anything happens. imho if one if crazy enough to get dedicated track only gt3 car then it may be worth it jump directly into 996 cup car, motor is better than in any gt3, gearbox is less demanding than 997 cup sequential and it seems it may cost not that much more than to support 997.1 gt3.

Last edited by utkinpol; 07-06-2011 at 07:43 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do I need to move to a GT3?